Author Topic: A Pair of Ponies...  (Read 3487 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: A Pair of Ponies...
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
Astonishing masking job Brad, that must have taken many hours of very careful work. Beautiful result!

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
Not bad for a beginner,now pick a difficult scheme for the other one Brad. ;D I did something similar on a Roden Albie (just a square each side of the fuselage) and that had me throwing stuff,but all those curves,I dips me lid!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 08:26:42 AM »
Thanks gents - Dave, i'll try something more difficult next time, compound curves aren't tricky enough  ;D ;D

The ponies are almost at the finish line, more to follow soon...

Cheers,

BC

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
Finished sooner than I thought.... :)

....the two ponies are now across the line! Onto the final results…

The P-51D was originally going to be an OD / Grey camouflaged machine, but eventually was built to represent “Contrary Mary”, 44-474251, flown by Lt.Col Roy Blair Caviness, Commander of the 78th Fighter Group, Duxford, England, August 1945. The decals came from the Lifelike Decals set 48-052. These decals were fantastic, conforming nicely and responding very positively to decal softener.  All of the checkerboard markings were masked and sprayed… though I now have a new-found appreciation for compound curves, the result was less than perfect, but it’ll do.  The NMF was attempted by using Alclads (6 or 7 different shades in total), which looked lovely, but various clear coats dulled them down a little so it all now just looks ‘silver’. Oh well. There is only one known photograph of this machine, and it wasn’t heavily weathered, so I kept it relatively clean.

The Mustang IV was built to represent KH745 “BAE”, flown by Group Captain Brian A Eaton, previously of 3SQN, Royal Australian Air Force. This was his personal aircraft while the head of Number 239 Wing, based in Cervia, Italy, April 1945. He flew this aircraft frequently with 3SQN, RAAF. This machine carried the perforated engine grills, similar to US machines. The decals came from the Freightdog Models “Keeping the peace Pt.I” set, FSD48009. Again, these decals were lovely. NMF was again Alclads. The pictures of this machine also show relatively little weathering, so I dirtied her up a little, but not too much.

So, the two ponies are done. Apologies to all of the Mustang afficionados out there – I know very little about Mustangs so there is no doubt I mucked up plenty of things. I feel the need to paint something drab now…!

Thanks for looking, and all feedback welcomed!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Two of the nicest P-51s I've seen Brad,and both with really appealing liveries,I've never come across that 3 Sqd scheme before.Congratulations,
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
Excellent pair of ponies Brad ! I have never see anyone else do Contrary Mary . i have the lifelike decals for this scheme and it is eye catching with the yellow rear canopy frame .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 12:38:00 AM »
   Spectacular pair of Mustangs Brad, a lovely job on both and the NMF looks mighty fine to my eyes on both subjects as well.  Super clean and detailed as you always present with your models, compliments all round!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Vickers

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 02:29:58 AM »
Both of your Mustangs turned out beautifully, Brad. When I saw the penultimate 78th FG checker pattern in your progress photos I was thinking that you were gunning for "Contrary Mary". Well done!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 12:30:33 AM »
WOW Brad! Those are Stunning Mustangs. Your finish is perfect to My eyes, No SHINY metal plated Toy look like many do. Superb Modeling and painting as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler