Author Topic: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales  (Read 2834 times)

Offline smperry

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 04:02:26 AM »

Australia Post came through and my 1:700 Hobby Boss USS Arizona kit showed up in the mail today. Took 4 or 5 weeks but it made it safely. I held off until it got here, but there are 3 Tom's Modelworks PE sets as well as at least 1 or two wooden deck AM sets. I intend to order all 4 items before seriously starting this kit. I  have plenty of online researching to do about building 1:700 scale ships in the mean time. I would like to build a small collection of ships this size since there is so much history around some ships, the size is right for available display space and with available detail sets they make that step up from toylike to scale model in appearance when complete. I also like that many are available as full hull models since I am not a huge fan of waterline models outside of floating on water dioramas. While it didn't play too prominent a role in WWI, Arizona was built during the war so it's OT in my book.

Guy, I likely will pester you with questions when I finally begin building it. Thanks for providing the spark that finally got me doing something in this corner of the hobby.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 06:35:12 AM »
Not at all SP,

Fire away! I’ll have to have a look at the Hobby Boss kits - any good on first inspection?

Agree with all you’ve said above, 1/350 is just too big to keep, let alone the 1/200 behomeths!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline smperry

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 08:50:05 AM »
Guy
The Hobby Boss is from the same mold as the Trumpeter. I checked the fit of the top and bottom hull halves and I've seen both better and worse fits. There is a crack in the lower hull right at the bow about half an inch long. That had to have gotten by someone at Hobby Boss because the kit was safely in plastic bags inside a sturdy kit box and the folks who packed it to ship used a lot of packing in a strong box which arrived undamaged and looking pristine. Nothing a swipe of liquid cement from the inside won't cure.
I'm planning on doing something unprecedented for me. I intend to study up on ship building techniques for this tiny scale. Hopefully I can avoid some of the worst pitfalls. Shoot, I may even break down and read the 'structions first.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
Ah that’s a shame, glad it’s fixable.

Have a look at the Flyhawk kits though, they’re light years ahead of the few others I’ve seen.

I think it takes a few kits under your belt to start to know what you’re doing. I made the mistake of building their gold edition (expensive!) SMS Lützow too early, I wish I’d practiced more first! I can feel each build getting significantly better.

Have fun though, that’s what it’s all about anyway!

Guy

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »
Guy, these ships are intricate beautiful builds when they are completed.

All this time stuck to the ground must be making you start to walk sideways! ;D

I saw some of Dai’s work on display in a model shop in Osaka a few years ago and could not believe what I was seeing which incidentally had to take my magnifiers to see properly.

All of his ships are incredible works of nano art but the aircraft carriers just defy belief.

If you get that good you will be like Willard Wigan.

Thanks for sharing your work, the model ships look great.

I bet they don’t take up much display space either.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
Hi Dave,

Yep, not much flying at the moment! Got to wait a couple of weeks to find out if I still have a job. Or if there’s a pay cut. Or something else (secondment to the RAF is being discussed). I put down SE5s on my request form, but I’d fly Camels if I have to  ;D

What about you?

Yes, that’s the best thing about 1:700 - not too big! I’d have loved to have seen one in the flesh...

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 02:09:53 AM »
Superb detailing and an overall amazing build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »
Guy
I have a question for you. My Arizona model has no small number of boats ranging from lifeboat size on up to motorized craft like you see ferrying officers ashore. (Really up on my naval terminology here) I'm wondering what colors should they be painted. Can you recommend a reference, book or web site. where I might find such information?

I received my three PE frets from Tom's Modelworks the other day. One for the Arizona, one of generic doors and one of generic hatches. I'm awaiting the wood decking I ordered and will be placing an order tomorrow for some 1/700 anchor chain as well as the called out colors of Vallejo Hull Red and Dark Sea Blue.  There is also a book recommended by Tom's Modelworks that is available used for a reasonable price. Hopefully I am getting all the ducks in a row before I start. If you see anything I missed, Please LMK.
Thanks
sp

Offline RichieW

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 01:49:54 AM »
Beautiful build, love it. Is that a tiny little Walrus on board?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 12:27:27 AM »
That is an incredible build. I am envious of anyone that can get that tiny PE looking so great! Simply Gorgeous Model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler