Author Topic: Martin Flyer 'El Sonora' --- scratch-build in 1/72  (Read 4832 times)

Offline gbrivio

Re: Martin Flyer 'El Sonora' --- scratch-build in 1/72
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 06:13:01 AM »
Great look at the monoplane stage, looking forward to the next updates.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 02:42:42 AM »
That is certainly looking very good at the moment. Putting the top wing on this one will be a bit of a challenge, but I am certain that you will succeed - and continue with your mini-masterpiece. Looking forward to more.

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 03:33:44 AM »
Thank you, Gentlemen.

I am fairly used to assembling a wing cell separately, though it has been some time. It is useful with mid-gap designs.

I am taking 19mm as my strut-length, based on a measure of 54" from a Mexican site where they have run a clear photograph through some program that corrects for angle and distance and gives measurements. It feels right enough. It seems six rib spaces separate each pair of interplane struts.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 05:05:29 AM »
Getting more awesome with avery update. I look forward to more, in due time...

Jeroen

Offline Old Man

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 04:31:38 AM »
Getting more awesome with avery update. I look forward to more, in due time...

Jeroen

Thank you, Sir.

More coming now.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 04:56:34 AM »
All right, my friends.

The upper wing is on!

Everything is not quite all Sir Garnet,  but it is acceptable, and most adjustments will be minor.

I dropped the booger twice, just in my lap, mind, but that was enough to spring things, as miniscule amounts of glue are all that is employed. The second drop came as I was trying to adjust position on the last strut (of course), and that one was bad enough I popped the wing off, and made new struts, which went on without further incident. As you can see I did not rig as I went, the thing was much too wobbly with four, or even eight struts in place, to hold while doing things like incidence wires. With sixteen struts in, it can be handled with care. Painting struts, and rigging, are the next step, and this will include some minor strut adjustments, as things stiffen up with the pull of the elastic.

Once that is done something quite delicate will be needed. You may notice the radiator is off. This is because its position, relative to the forward tube supports of the motor's cradle, is too far back, and interferes with the proper forward 'cabane' structure (which two parallel tubes, with a cross-piece and triangle at the top. The lower tube supports will have to be removed and placed a bit further back, and the cradle extended a trifle where the radiator goes. I feel reasonably confident I can manage this without undue difficulty. A new, thinner radiator piece may be needed.

I may also have to redo the rear outermost interplane struts, as these support (and go through) the mid-gap ailerons. It is just behind the leading edge, mind, and a notch with white-glue filler might suffice, but a hole may prove necessary. I confess I had not considered this when assembling the wing cell, but better to have plowed ahead and got the thing into one piece when the fit was on me and my blood was up.

Hope to have more progress in a week or so, as I am back on the bench now.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 09:21:58 AM »
A strategic retreat has proved necessary here, but with reinforcement most of that has been retrieved. I expect much of the difficulty was that I am out of practice. My attempt at rigging this was a fiasco. I botched most attempts to attach the end of a line, and between cleaning up after failures and over handling of a quite fragile assembly, I was beginning to do harm. I stopped, and took off the wing.

I made stouter struts, and using the traces of previous attachments, put in some real locator holes, to receive a pointed end put on the struts. I took advantage of the monoplane interlude to re-position the front supports for the engine bearers

I have put in the first eight struts. The outer ones on the port wing have proved a tad longer than the rest, but this has been fixed subsequent to the pictures. Doing so benefited greatly from the greater solidity. The rigging towards the center is the most tricky, because the places you naturally want to hold to keep things steady you can't, because the fragile undercarriage is in the way. While I have not completely got the knack back, things did go easier once the inner incidence wires were in place.

At any rate, here it is as of a few hours ago...

Once the struts in place are fully rigged I will add the next bay, and then tend to the tubular bracings in the center. I think I should leave off the outermost pairs till I have the mid-gap ailerons sorted out.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 05:46:26 PM »
Nice save!

Those guys flying this must have been quite brave, looking at those exposed seats!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 11:03:40 PM »
Looking awesome! I have trouble figuring out where to hold a normal bi plane while rigging. I can't even imagine doing this one 8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler