Author Topic: (Off-topic) a pair of 1/72 F4U-4 Corsairs "USS Boxer" (Korean War) (done!)  (Read 6647 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: (Off-topic) a pair of 1/72 F4U-4 Corsairs "USS Boxer" (Korean War)
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »
Thanks!

I do admit I'm not really enjoying working on these, as every time I touch something, something else goes wrong... despite Mr Surfacer primer and Gunze acylic lacuqer paint and Tamiya glosscoats (which should stick quite well, normally) I keep having to touch up chipped paints. Due to handling it's even worn off the leading and trailing edges. :-/
When I satin coated the the pylons and antenna they turned white (as sometimes happens if you put a flat coat on too thick or don't stir it properly) despite it being from the same batch I mixed up for the rest of the models. I've had to re-do them completely as normally a bit of gloss and then satin again will remove it, but not this time for some reason or other.
And did I mention when I pulled the pylon from the tape I use to hold it for airbrushing I had a nice blue pylon-shape left on that, but my pylon's underside was completely stripped to bare plastic?
Some models have all the bad luck I suppose, so, optimistically, the next one should go flawlessly!  8)

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: (Off-topic) a pair of 1/72 F4U-4 Corsairs "USS Boxer" (Korean War)
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 10:51:10 PM »
Great... finished all the last bits and pulled the tape from the canopies to install the antenna wires last of all. Somehow, on the main sliding part only, the paint seeped through the tape and left residue that sticks very well.
Obviously one of them has bits of plastic underneath the windscreen from somewhere in the fuselage and after this mess I called them done and left off the antenna wires. Either they would drop from the table or my CA would burst open with massive blobs of glue on the models, I wasn't ready to try anything else. The rockets on 416 had their fins interfere with each other (I already suspected something was wrong with the panel lines on the wings as I used these for reference).
Even the camera didn't want to take proper pictures, so I saved the leftover parts and decals, took these pictures and put them on the shelf.
There are a lot of nice points on these models such as the beefy propeller (after years of late-model Corsairs with toothpick propeller blades!) and the "thick" nose, after the skinny looking Italeri models. There are also a lot of shortcuts, omissions and plain silly mistakes.
Anyway, without much comment, sans antenna wires:

I'm calling them done and move on to something more enjoyable :) I do want to thank you all for your encouragement and support, and Dave for organising this Group Build (though things seem to have quieted down a bit here) so I could finally finish these models. Without that they most probably would have flown out the window and stomped to bits...  ???

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

Re: (Off-topic) a pair of 1/72 F4U-4 Corsairs "USS Boxer" (Korean War) (done!)
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2020, 07:31:26 AM »
Your pair of Corsairs look Terrific to Me Jeroen! I am glad you persevered and finished them!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »
You hang in there and got them both beaten , both turned out great !  :) Thank-you for sharing these with us  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2020, 09:43:44 PM »
A fine pair of Corsairs, Jeroen. Even though I am now fully to WW1 I still have a soft spot for some WW2 fighters, Corsair is definitely among my favourites.
I only regret that your models look so dark in the photos, some exposure compensation would do good to the photos.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Monty

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2020, 03:07:16 AM »
Those are great looking Corsairs, Jeroen! You certainly had a tough time getting them right but the end result is simply great - models to be proud of! Regards, Marc.