Author Topic: 1/72 Sopwith Triplane  (Read 4528 times)

Offline rolanddvi

Re: 1/72 Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »
Hello Prez,

Who has  them in stock?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline enathan

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 10:56:53 AM »

Offline smperry

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »
Thanks for posting that link. I was looking at the Soviet ones as I am working on N5486 in a 45" electric powered RC version and discovered the ply area around the cockpit. None of the sparse references I have show that, but it makes sense since they just slapped red stars over the Britt roundels indicating they didn't repaint this one, so the visible varnished wood seems to be correct. Fortunately I am not so far along that I can't add that detail easily...if I ever get off my backside and work on the model.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »
Here is a link to a test build of the new Sop Tripe. I will be getting one for sure.

http://www.modelarovo.cz/sopwith-triplane-1-72-kp-kovozavody-prostejov-testovaci-stavba/

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 10:31:24 PM »
My Black Flight copy is already ordered :) Looking forward to it!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Bughunter

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 12:55:14 AM »
They must be damn small ??? This is already in 1/48 a little plane!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline enathan

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 02:36:38 AM »
My Black Flight copy is already ordered :) Looking forward to it!

Since I intend to order all four variants and these are not the best of times, I will wait till they are available from ArtScaleKit. They will be cheper there:
https://www.artscale.eu/index.php?lang=1&cl=searchfulltext&listtype=searchfulltext&searchparamfull=sopwith%20triplane&cur=1&

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
My order is in - several tripes are now on their way over to me :) Having built the Revell 1/72 triplane from decades ago, I know how much work is required to get the old kit up to 'snuff. So this is a welcome release.

Buy up folks, and show your support for WW1 ventures in the smaller scales - those of us that don't build in the smaller scales need love too  ;D

BC

Offline RichieW

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 08:09:32 AM »
Got 2 on back order with Hannants. Not convinced my eyes and hands are up to doing a good job in this scale but it will be great fun trying.  :)

Offline enathan

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 02:07:36 AM »

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 06:53:48 AM »
I have just got my Tripe in the Black Flight version.

The first impressions are generally positive.
1. Attractive boxart, the box with side opening.
2. Comprehensive instructions, however no clear info on the use of options as: single/double Vickers, small or large tailplane, propeller. The rigging diagram in the form of sides, top and bottom views is not a good idea, definitely the axonometry view (as at WNW) would be much better.
3. Colour schemes on the bottom side of the box - generally fine, though no suggestion of the PC10 wrap down to the lower sides at leading and trailing edges of the wings/tailplane.
4. Reasonable amount and quality of detail - sides of the internal truss on the fuselage interior, cockpit floor on the lower wing centrepiece - lacking the foot boards, instrument panel not quite correct, rudder bar and stick thick, seat with exaggerated cushion structure. Quite a lot of flash to be removed.
5. Fuselage with fine front truss traces, quite fine stitching. Square access panels at the sides.
6. Clerget is the weakest part of this kit, IMHO - I will definitely replace it with magical Small Stuff resin set.
7. Wings with acceptable rib traces and linen deflection between them. Reasonably thin trailing edges.
8. Decals quite finely printed, though the white cockade outline is not in register, with wide margins of clear carrier - better to be cut them off to minimize the risk of silvering. The decal sheet includes the seatbelts in grey colour not quite accurate - I will try to replace them with scratch elements.
9. The main elements fit finely to the scale drawings in Windsock Datafile. I have only noticed some small discrepancies in the shape of the rudder.

All in all - a very promising little simple kit which just calls to be attempted. What a step forward it is when compared to the old Revell kit! I will go for it later this year, as there in that WNW Ninak currently underway and CSM Nieuport 17 in the queue to my bench.

Offline enathan

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2020, 11:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the preview PrzemoL.
The large tailplane belongs to the prototype N500, which is not an option in any of the 4 new kits.
It may have been added in preperation for yet another kit.   

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2020, 06:07:47 PM »
The large tailplane belongs to the prototype N500, which is not an option in any of the 4 new kits.

You know that, me, too :) But there may be some who do not, and it would be kind of the KP to explain it better in the instructions ;)
Besdies this option would require a different length fuselage, wouldn't it? ;)

Offline mgunns

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »

You know that, me, too :) But there may be some who do not, and it would be kind of the KP to explain it better in the instructions ;)
Besdies this option would require a different length fuselage, wouldn't it? ;)

Yes, if it's the prototype, the fuselage was a bit shorter.  Roden got that right as the plastic represents the prototype not the production.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »

The larger tailplane wasn't only used on the prototype, it was changed partway through the early production run. Several early tripes were fitted with the larger tailplane and you have to check your references to make sure. Roderick Stanley Dallas's N5436 of 1 Naval Wing was one such airframe and I sure that there were others. That was also why WNW also included the large tailplane in all their Triplane kits as well.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD