Author Topic: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down  (Read 40705 times)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
Re: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
I am saddened to see the end arrive.  I was not aware of the issue until about a week ago, so I am processing this.

My thoughts are with the talented folks at Wingnut Wings and the other Weta holdings.  I hope they land on their feet soon.  In a big way, WNW rewrote the book on kit development.

I am still baffled as to the timing as the Dr.I's, Lancasters and HP's were in development.  The back story will be revealed in due course, I suspect that it was more than the pandemic.

In the big picture, there are a lot of people facing tough and uncertain times.  I hope everyone here is healthy as are their friends and family.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Thanks WNW. You raised the bar and WWI aviation awareness.

Steve

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
As noted in the other thread on this topic, there is no way this permanent shutdown relates to COVID 19.

I wonder what the true story is, and if we will ever know.

However, there is a great opportunity here.  What made WNW special was not the guy running the show with deep pockets!  It was the talent group of 10-15 people (as I understand it) who churned out such lovely model kits, instruction manuals, and artwork!

No reason why such a tiny company can't be picked up and started over by someone else.

Let's hope that is the case.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 03:53:18 PM »
Sad news, my solidarity to employees and their families. I hope that, as have been pointed, the fabulous team who gave our community such great model kits and all the online support will find their way to continue with their projects under new sponsorship. And of course I'm grateful to WNW firm for their role in our hobby growth during the past decade.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
TVAL has made their situation official:

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade

Two incredible companies that have done truly remarkable things for WW1 aviation. I feel so awful for those left without a job. I’m just speechless.

I hadn’t wanted to post about either until one was made official. Awful news to end the week. So sad.
Zac in NZ

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2020, 05:13:09 PM »
Very sad news indeed :-/ Hopefully everyone involved will find a new job soon!

And Eric, thanks for the headsup, though I probably have RSI now, I'm glad i downloaded everything I needed, including the DrI/F1 pictures they posted up that will help me detail the Roden examples, right before they took those pages down.

On a side note - I have some advice for WNW kit owners. If you've not done so already, copy or download as much information as possible from their web site. Especially hints, tips, and corrections for any kits you own. We have no idea how long the site will remain up so don't delay too long.

Jeroen

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 12:05:44 AM »
TVAL had not been the same since their managing pilot was caught running his own store to sell his boss' items with his personal margin.   Now he is a guest of the New Zealand government. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:18:47 AM by Captain Slower »

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2020, 02:57:02 AM »
TVAL had not been the same since their managing pilot was caught running his own store to sell his boss' items with his personal margin.   Now he is a guest of the New Zealand government.

I have never spent five minutes researching the business practices of Peter Jackson or looking into the ongoing daily operations of his variously owned business entities.

But there is something going on here and it doesn't relate to a virus.  Although the virus is clearly being used as the excuse to bail out of these business ventures.

We're going to hear more about this down the line.

As I've mentioned before, such a small operation can easily be revived by someone else.

And what is perhaps even more likely is a group of former WNW employees (perhaps even all of them) somehow combining resources to revive the company themselves. 

The one thing we don't know and which I'd love to know right now is what their finances looked like.

The state goal was always simply to "break even" as I understand it.

Not sure the economics would favor a new owner who was actually looking to make a profit.  Though with some tweaks to the business model, maybe that could be corrected.

Now then, trying to shine a positive light on a very dark subject: if and when the company revives itself under new ownership, we might actually get some new subjects that are not English or German! 

Offline Dave J

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 08:49:21 AM »
This was posted over on the WNW Fans page on Facebook by another member, and he sums it up perfectly...

My thoughts on whats going on with the mixed messages on their website announcements
Fact: Staff have been made redundant WNW as we (the modellers) know it is gone.
Opinion: Peter Jackson and whoever else owns the entity doesn't want it to go broke to the point of receivers or liquidators. Why? that damages the PJ brand (forget WNW hardly anyone knows what that is or who owns it). A PJ company in liquidation would be news picked up by the press and reflects poorly on him personally. So they stop the rot by letting staff go, keep the website up, halt sales, and hope to sell to an investor as a going concern which avoids the negative press and no ones the wiser. Just that the pool of investors for a model-making company (that was obviously losing money) ain't that big. Good luck I guess.

Radio New Zealand had a small bulletin on WNW and TVAL on their 7 am News update, they didn't have much more to add than what has already been stated.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:55:28 AM by Dave J »
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline aliluke

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »
Hi all
Haven't been here for a while - haven't been modelling for a while...

This is very sad news indeed. On the sly, a few years ago I was lucky enough to get a tour of the TVAL factory in Kilbirnie, Wellington and met Richard Alexander - WNW is in the same complex but I didn't get in there! My, then, contact at TVAL is probably redundant now. He was involved with building Sopwith Snipes and Fokkers. My guess is Jackson is retrenching and when it comes to what were his "hobbies", he just isn't prepared to put money into them anymore. You might also suspect that his core business is under serious stress as well - the film industry sure is.

We just have to hope that the other manufacturers of WW1 kits survive this. Although Wingnut kits are very very good so are many others. Fingers crossed for a far from certain future in all respects.

Cheers
A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

I have never spent five minutes researching the business practices of Peter Jackson or looking into the ongoing daily operations of his variously owned business entities.

But there is something going on here and it doesn't relate to a virus.  Although the virus is clearly being used as the excuse to bail out of these business ventures.

We're going to hear more about this down the line.

As I've mentioned before, such a small operation can easily be revived by someone else.

And what is perhaps even more likely is a group of former WNW employees (perhaps even all of them) somehow combining resources to revive the company themselves. 

The one thing we don't know and which I'd love to know right now is what their finances looked like.

The state goal was always simply to "break even" as I understand it.

Not sure the economics would favor a new owner who was actually looking to make a profit.  Though with some tweaks to the business model, maybe that could be corrected.

Now then, trying to shine a positive light on a very dark subject: if and when the company revives itself under new ownership, we might actually get some new subjects that are not English or German!

I think you’re right. They could re- form as they have the basis for a great new company. But it seems PJ is the prime candidate for someone with deep pockets. He could re buy it if interested (big ‘if’) and continue on.

But it might be a while before we see some non UK/ German subjects. But CSM might have a clear run if they are not also suffering

It’s a pity from a WW1 modeller perspective they spent so much time and energy on the Lancasters, instead of bringing out the Dr1s and others. C’est la Vie!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:02:24 AM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2020, 03:33:59 PM »
If the bottom line was a worry, I would think that the Dr.I would have been an earlier release and subjects like a DH-4 (using a lot of DH-9  sprues and could be boxed in RR, Liberty and Puma versions), BE2c & e, and the Strutter would have been better than some of the more esoteric selections.  Though I think the Gotha G.I is really neat, it is the poster child for Esoteric.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 01:40:51 AM »
If the bottom line was a worry, I would think that the Dr.I would have been an earlier release and subjects like a DH-4 (using a lot of DH-9  sprues and could be boxed in RR, Liberty and Puma versions), BE2c & e, and the Strutter would have been better than some of the more esoteric selections.  Though I think the Gotha G.I is really neat, it is the poster child for Esoteric.

This is where there is room for "tweaking the business model" under new ownership.  Immediately ditch production of the oddball kits that never sold, and stop making new kits that are similar.  And that put no brainer projects in the fast production lane that PJ obstinately refused to produce.  With CSM doing the Nieuport, that still leaves the Fokker DR Is, SPADs, maybe a Jenny, and other no brainer sales leaders.

Prices have always been ridiculously high for what you get IMO and that didn't seem to slow sales down.  Maybe make them a touch higher.  As long as quality remains the same, people will buy them.

The easily replaced ingredient here is "rich guy with money."  The world is filled with those.  What it is not filled with, apparently, is people who know how to design and engineer excellent styrene model kits.  If it was easier, we'd see more of them.

The small group collected at WNW figured the hard part out.  We just need an individual or group to come along with some cash and an interest in modeling to put the pieces back together.

I think it will happen.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »
China will buy them up, after all that's what they are doing with other Western companies!!!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »
I think that any criticism of the WNW business Model is a bit off base. Yes they could have produced a couple of the More Popular fighters that aren't available. The SPAD XIII comes to Mind. But if you think about it they did Most of the popular fighters:
1. Albatros DV.
2. Sopwith Pup
3. Sopwith Triplane
4. Fokker DVII
5. SE5a
6. Sopwith Snipe
7. Pfalz DIIIa
8. Sopwith Dolphin
9. Pfalz DXII
10. Roland DVI
11. Sopwith Camel
12: The Proposed DR1.

None of these were out of production for any great length of time. So yes a couple of Money Cows May Be Missing but for the Most part they covered the bases. Did the expensive esoteric stuff sell? Probably not but who really knows. As a Matter of Fact we have NO IDEA if the Demise is Directly related to sales and profit! My point here is that to question and state reasons at this time seems Premature to Me. When the Molds are sold or produced by another company we will Most likely see the ones I listed and probably Most of the 2 seaters again. Will we see the Funky Gothas...Maybe Not but who Knows. My thoughts are totally focused on the sad feeling I have for the Terrific Team that Produced the Best WW1 kits we have ever seen and Sparked Many other Companies to Do Better! JMHO
RAGIII

PS: I forgot the DH2 and Eindeckers!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:05:54 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler