Author Topic: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down  (Read 40674 times)

Offline skeeterbuck

Re: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
It is a shame in reference to the shutdown of WNW and all the workers that will be effected by this.  :(

Hopefully on the brighter side, I would think that another model manufacturer will end up with the molds. Maybe the Lancaster and Fokker DR1 will never see the light of day, but I would think that what has already been produced will eventually become available again. Even though I don't build 1/32 scale, I would like to see a company like Tamiya or Eduard end up with these kits. 

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
Best wishes and much good luck to those who were in WNW and TVAL and who must now find new employment.  As well, we have such a massive amount of talent in the Forum that I am saddened for the younger, newer members who have an interest in the hobby and in the WNW line of kits. Witness Kit, whose first posting on the Forum had to do with the closing of WNW.  Accordingly, I fervently hope that the full range of kits might someday (and soon!) find their way back to the open market.

Best Regards and Best Wishes to all!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline eclarson

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 11:36:34 PM »
Heartbreaking news, to say the least.  :( 

Thank you Wingnut Wings for some of the finest plastic model kits ever produced! 

On a side note - I have some advice for WNW kit owners. If you've not done so already, copy or download as much information as possible from their web site. Especially hints, tips, and corrections for any kits you own. We have no idea how long the site will remain up so don't delay too long.

Eric

Online crouthaj

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 02:29:19 AM »
Thanks to WNW for revolutionizing our hobby.  I'll now work through my kit stash much more slowly, savoring every morsel.

Jason

Offline Proper Plane

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 04:33:41 AM »
Thank you WingnutWings for everything you have done for community, and for inspiration which allowed Proper Plane to be born! Good luck guys! I do hope we will meet again soon!

Alex Belov
Proper Plane

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 04:44:29 AM »
Sad news indeed.

I remeber seeing the WNW Junkers J1 and LVG built up online for the first time. Blew me completely away, as they have continued doing for the past + ten years. Hopefully we'll see a resurrection of some sort, and here's hoping all staff involved in this great venture will find new occupations soon.

Thanks for redrawing the map of WWI plane modelling guys!
/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 06:39:26 AM »
This is dreadful news for all.
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Europapete

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 06:42:14 AM »
Devastating.  Best hopes and wishes go out to all the employees who endeavored to make a wonderful product and company. Regards, Pete in RI

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »
Thanks Dave for being on the leading edge of this story; I'm sure we all appreciate the efforts you're making here.

Like everyone, I await official confirmation from WNW themselves. If it is indeed the truth that WNW are closing down, it is a sad moment, even for those of us that don't really dabble in 1/32 scale. Though I have only ever built one of their kits (the Albatros DVa, back in the very early days after its release), it was a joy to build. I would challenge any of us to find someone who has cursed a WNW kit - they are truly works of art, made for modellers. Those of us (and I include myself) that were struggling away in the small niche of WW1 aviation modelling before WNW burst onto the scene can truly appreciate the effect that WNW have had on our little (now a little bigger) corner of the modelling world. I can't understate the positive effect that WNW has had - simply look at the volume of WNW builds on various forums and in magazines all over the globe.

Sadly, if WNW are to depart the scene, I would feel that a 'golden age' of WW1 aviation modelling may well have just come to an end. That 'golden age' will likely be defined, in retrospective examination, by the whirlwind appearance, and equally surprising disappearance, of WNW. I can only hold hope, until we officially hear from WNW, that our golden age might not be over yet.

If WNW leaves the scene, I would feel most for the employees of WNW, who have slaved and produced truly magnificent kits of both significant and esoteric subjects for us all to enjoy. These people are the true artists, and I hope that they can continue their craft.

Whatever happens, this highlights that we, as a modelling community, must support our little part of the hobby world as much as we can in future.

Cheers,

BC

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »
WNW have now updated their site message. They seem to still be shying away from confirmation of closure, and their suspension of orders seems to be linked with COVID 19.

So I still hold some hope. Time will tell.

Cheers,

BC

Dekenba1

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »
This is most confusing! They have the opportunity to say they are NOT closing down, yet say nothing?

It seems a half & half message, neither one thing nor another.

They could surely still take orders using the website, fulfilling them once the crisis is passed?

They should seriously consider issuing a statement, to put to bed the uncertainty.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
Hmm... interesting.  No verification of permanent closing one way or another but given what's been said recently, I'm guessing the resumed sales will be to clear out remaining inventory.

That last statement does have a note of finality to it.  :(

Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »
OK, just saw this on Facebook.  Removes any doubt as far as I'm concerned.   :'(

Comment from Bryan Wall, Product Designer for WNW:

"Guys we are closed for good I am sorry to say, the whole team was made redundant on weds."

Eric

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
Let there be no confusion over the official Wingnuts silence. Its a corporate silence thing folks. They don't want to acknowledge bad news.

Take it from kit product designer Bryan Wall who posted on the WnW Fans page on Facebook: "Guys we are closed for good I am sorry to say, the whole team was made redundant on Wednesday".

Wingnuts or whoever the hell is nominally in charge there now has still not responded to our request for an official statement but when Richard Alexander says he is no longer at Wingnuts and Bryan Wall confirms all staff were made redundant, you sort of know they are closed for good.

The website message re online orders is ambiguous. It may suggest a plan to later offer a phased withdrawal by sale of warehouse stock, but this is only speculation. As of today - April 17 - nobody knows what they intend to do with pending orders and their online ordering system.

Right now anyone wanting to buy a Wingnuts kit should support your preferred hobby shop or retail online outlet.

Significantly, the Wingnuts website on Friday has deleted all references to the kits in development. The Lancasters, Fokker DRl.1s, Hansa Brandenburg D.1, Handley Page O/100 and O/400 and the "mystery kit" have all vanished from the website now. Only kits in stock and those sold out are now listed.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 02:06:26 PM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »
Thanks Dave, I wasn't aware of Bryan's post. Looks like it's going to be the reality.  :'(

To echo Bob's words, Blue Skies WNW.

Hopefully, someone somewhere will pick up the business or the moulds and a new phoenix will rise from the ashes.

Cheers,

BC