Author Topic: Modelling during the coronavirus pandemic  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Modelling during the coronavirus pandemic
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »
A huge thank you to all our members working at the frontline of the coronavirus crisis internationally. Our most sincere thanks go to you all. This thread has given us a unique insight into how members in different countries are handling the lockdowns and self-isolations that have now become part of our daily lives.

We can't begin to understand the pressure on our medical and health service people whose own safety is compromised by the work they are doing, and we can only hope they and their families escape this invisible killer.

Guy - wishing you an enormous get well soon from everyone in the Forum community. Many of us are especially vulnerable due to age and underlying ailments so we are all sending you the strongest possible get well thoughts and wishes. Please keep us updated on how you are coping with this virus.

Warmest regards from a self-isolated Dave W on the Gold Coast in sunny Australia.

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
Thanks Dave and everyone for your messages here.
Hopefully some of us can get some bench time. Might need to get some supplies while the local bricks and mortar are still open.
That could change tomorrow, as the news keeps getting worse. Here’s to our medical people, and sensible precautions and the day when it’s all over.

‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »
Thank you for your kind support!

I’m fine, 53 and pretty fit. Peoples symptoms seem to be wide ranging. Mine were: aching everything, headache, hot sweats and chills, and, after about a week, a total loss of smell. I had a very slight cough but it did feel a little uncomfortable on my chest. Just left now with no energy and still can’t smell! I felt really bad for a couple of days.

Hope you’re all ok.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Radarman

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 11:56:39 PM »
Guy,
Thanks for the first hand account and it’s good to know you’re
on the mend. I spent 35 years working in ATC, retiring age 56,
then moving on to contract work in procedure design. I can’t imagine
what this virus could do to a radar facility if a member of the workforce
has it. You work in such close proximity to the other controllers.
Enough of that, I hope you start smelling Tamiya Extra Thin soon
and dive into a good build.
                                         Kevin in Port Orchard
We are all victims of history!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 06:58:32 AM »
So glad to see that you're on the mend, Guy.  Hope you recover your energy and sense of smell.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 08:28:54 AM »
A quick recovery Guy. I work at YYZ and the measures being taken to protect employees are patch work at best.  At 60 with some respiratory history I am concerned. As of now its business as usual for me but flights are, of course, dwindling. I work in an isolated area but still have to walk through the terminal to get there. I do everything I can to protect myself but who knows.......

Steve   

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Guy - Hoping you have a speedy recovery - with model building included.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »
Take care of yourself Guy and get better soon .

Being a transit user to get around the city , mostly work but has me a little worried . Don't work with many people at work so thats good . Right now there is only three of us and I work in the back by myself . We are closed to the public . Are sales come from online which is about 97% of our business . But as more and more places close across Canada ,  we might be forced to do the same . Taking the bus in the morning isn't bad , not very many folks are on and I get a ride at the end of the day avoiding over crowded  buses which suits me just fine .

I have well over 200 kit's and ample supplies to kept me going with a shit loud of music , but for me it's work as usual which is alright with me .

Take care all of you and be safe out there .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 12:53:33 AM »
I am joining the chorus of well wishes to you, Guy! Sincerely - have a speedy recovery.

PS. Incidentaly, I have just read that loss of olfate and taste are quite frequent effects of coronavirus action.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Olieslagers

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 11:42:25 PM »
Greeting from Idaho

First I hope that everyone is doing well. As usual Idaho is behind everyone but as soon as we reached 100 cases a state wide lockdown was declared.
Did use some of my time to build a storage with drawers for paints and other modeling implements. Even got a foam lined drawers for storing parts
of ongoing project.
Sorry to admit but as a ex naval aviator I had to work on a 1/32 T28. To redeem myself I am also working on a vignette including a Holt tractor pulling
a Renault tank. I have about a dozen WNW kit waiting to be build so I am OK ! Told my wife this is why we stock kits, just in case of pandemic!
We have our cats that give us a illusion of normalcy, but miss our Golden Retriever that passed way 2 months ago.
Remember as modelers we have a big advantage over everyone else, we have a hobby that keep our mind busy and our creative juices flowing.Maybe there
will be some younger people being introduced to the hobby.
Take care everyone and be safe.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 04:02:25 AM »
Hi all from Rome
The virus hit here as well, even if not as hard as in northern Italy.
Our style of life has changed a lot, but no time for modeling even if I work from home now.

Anyway, greetings from here
stay safe
er me

Offline Harold55

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »
Minnesota has a "stay at home" order so nothing but essential business is going on - certainly no hobby shops so everything needs to be through mail order.  I just finished an Eduard Sopwith TriPlane today and before that I did a Mirage Hobby CL.II and a CL.IV.  I will try to post pictures if figure our how that works.  I am not going down to the stash to take a look at something unusual.  I have never built a Special Hobby WWI subject and they have quite a few interesting kits.  There will be no going to the hobby shop to get that one jar of paint, they are all closed so if I need something special it will be mixed.  I mixed my own PC.10 for the TriPlane and it ended up looking like chocolate with a green tint.  Looking for snow here tomorrow.