Author Topic: Modelling during the coronavirus pandemic  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Modelling during the coronavirus pandemic
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »
The global coronavirus pandemic has plunged the world into wartime-like personal restrictions as our various governments and health bodies struggle to contain the worst outbreak of a killer virus since the end of World War 1.

Although this Forum is a hobby group, we are also a global community and now more than ever we need to be supporting one another in any way we can to help us all through the coronavirus plague.

If you are in self quarantine, now more than ever is the time to make a model! If you are in modelling mode please share with other forum members what you are making. Let's make this a global group build type thing!

While we are about it, many hobby businesses are suffering from the shutdowns and economic fallout. Now's the time to support our businesses and hobby shops with some on line orders. You can't catch coronavirus from a mail order purchase!

Let's use the Forum to re-energise our love of WW1 modelling and especially emphasise how our global community can support one another.

So what's on everyone's coronavirus-free workbench today? I have a Wingnuts Albatros D.V now started but other kits are also calling so some parallel builds loom!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

Re: Modelling during the coronavirus pandemic
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
Since you asked, There is a Big, Ugly and very off topic 1:72 scale flying blowtorch on my bench right now. Building it for a buddy who has a big turbine powered model of the same machine in the same pilot's markings. Only the fourth plastic model of a kero burner I have made in the last 25 years. (I promise to build fewer of them in the future) I should probably be made to scratch build a Nalgo Quadraplane as penance. It is the first start to finish kit I have built in about 10 yrs so in addition to being a gift for a friend it is kind of a mojo-getter-backer. Now that the 3 color camo is gloss coated and ready for decals I'm sort of enjoying it, too  bad Italeri forgot to include a top wing and rigging guide.

The virus has not greatly impacted us here on Florida's Nature Coast. However that has not kept me from using it as an excuse to socially distance myself at the modeling bench. Hopefully our less dense population and following the guidelines will keep it that way.

Y'all stay safe and get some good modeling time in.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
     So here's a SITREP from your Global Moderator in the Canadian Great White North.  Like many of my advanced age I am in voluntary isolation in "an abundance of caution" as our Prime Minister terms it. My profile as a person with a heart/respiratory condition further places me firmly at the absolute top of the risk scale for this particular Pandemic, thus I'm in "Hermit" mode. To top it all my Good Wife just returned to Canada yesterday from an overseas vacation (which I strongly advised against) and is in 14 day isolation at my daughters place some 400 miles from here to eliminate any further risk to yours truly. That's the down side of this tale.
     On the upside here's my reality:
   I have a Build on the Bench that I can toy with for several hours per day;
   I have a stash that will get me through fully a dozen at least "half lives" of any viral pandemic including this one;
   I have a freezer and pantry sufficient for at least the next month;
   I have enough beer for an equal period and a helpful neighbor who has committed to do replenishment runs for food and beverage should it be required; and
   My sole responsibility other then myself is my canine companion whose company I cherish.
          I'd say I'm in pretty reasonable circumstances overall. So I think I'll lean into this Halberstadt a little harder, and maybe compose that order for some after market stuff as Dave suggests. I'd love to hear how others are coping with this chaos. Not to make small of our shared circumstances but I have a feeling it could be worse and yes, we will make it through these troubled times!
Stay healthy and safe,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »
Stay safe my friends!

Let us all UNITE!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
Stay safe my friends!

Let us all UNITE!

vB

My shoes have just fallen off

Richard

Oh - hang on.. unite
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:13:28 PM »
On the NSW Central Coast the unnecessary panic buying has been a nuisance,but I work alone outside so the social distancing is not an issue.Unfortunately my wife's handmade business operates at various markets which have nearly all been put on hiatus;I doubt many people would attend in any case.Picked the wrong time to buy a van to expand her business,not to mention to put her car on the market.Also looks like I need another surgery to remove some tumours soon but my surgeon wants to wait a few months,fine with me,not a good time to be in hospital if it can be avoided.I applaud Dave's sentiments about supporting the hobby,but I better sell some stuff before I do in the interest of marital harmony.My workbench is a disgrace at the moment,a half-rigged WNW RE8,a pair of Ansaldo SVA5s ready for final assembly and rigging,2 RAAF Bostons painted underneath only,and a 1/32 resin HB W-20 stalled while I figure out how to fabricate the engine mounts.It was worse this time last year though.I nearly forgot,I have a CA Supermarine Attacker ready for paint but missing the canopy,I think one of my cats must have run off with it.I'll have to get someone to make a mould from my Trumpeter one and vacform a few spares for me.
Best wishes to all our community,
Dave.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »
Great idea, Dave, we should indeed keep together in this hard time.

Here in Poland we closed shop galleries, schools, borders, public places, etc. All that was introduced gradually starting on Wednesday 12th. We generally do our work at home, which is feasible in the case of university job, as mine, but not all can do this. Teachers send the learning material exercises to their students, my 14 year old son is busy everyday with homework. We only leave to buy vital goods, luckily the shops and farmacies are still open and with continuous supply.
Anyway, the streets are as empty as never, people avoid each other (generally) keeping the distance of 1.5m apart, even when queueing at shops.
Indeed, it makes a lot of family time.
And also time for the modelling bench - I am at the final stages with Lukgraph Baby, as can be seen in the dedicated thread. And still not decided what will be next. Coming to the point of economy crisis looming, with possible impact on modelling industry, recently I have indeed supported our Polish grown modelling company IBG, buying their just released, the first ever injection model of an aircraft in 32nd designed and made in Poland. It is our iconic PZL P.11c! And it is a gem. I daresay, Peter Jackson's wizards would not do it better! And it is inevitably tempting me to take it to the bench. After all, we have been waiting for a kit like this for 40+ years...
http://ibg.com.pl/pl,ibg-32001-1-32-pzl-p-11c-polski-mysliwiec,3,33,36,48,16282.html#.XnMzcnJCdPY

Wish you all as good health as possible. Stay safe (at home)!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:08:57 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 07:53:33 PM »
Good morning to all,
here in Italy all the state is Red Zone. I live in Lombardy, north of Italy and we have the worst situation, in fact the virus started to kills people from my region.
So, everything possible is closed around me, only food and medicine shops are open, same as Przemol described for Poland.
My modelling time is doubled, first because I live alone (no animals too) and second because my working time was cut about 60%. This will be the real future problem, I work from my house with a computer for all I can, but in next months (april and may for sure) my salary will be cut and I don't know what can I do. Our governement started some special supports for us workers closed in homes but it will be not sufficent to cover everything.
On the modelling side, I'm in "jets pause" from my beloved WWI period. I'm building an F-84F Thunderstreak in "Diavoli Rossi" (Red Devils) liveries from Italeri 1/72 kit with Tauro Model decals. Next will be a Macchi 326D, in Alitalia "driving school" liveries, from Supermodel 1/72 kit with homemade decals from my friend.
I always lived/loved my modelling time as one of my "happy island", and now more than before is true.
I have a stash that allow myself to build kits for 20 years in quarantine, the only problems is if I finish colors/glues/accessories, because I can order from internet but deliveries became almost impossible.
Big hug to all and stay safe at home!
Roberto

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
Thailand has few cases so far; just under 300.

my first project starts tomorrow when the Ikea truck rolls up: a 1:1 scale bench.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 09:07:09 PM »
Good morning to you all,

when I read what you are experiencing at the moment, I have to admit that I a a lucky one: As a teacher I am an employee of the government with special privileges, so I am at home — all schools are closed here in Bavaria and in all German states —, I send homework to my students via E-Mail and I am in no risk to loose my job nevertheless.
Things are different for my wife, who is right now doing her tests for becoming a teacher as well. She also is at home but in a state of total lack of knowledge how things would go on for her tests and her future career as a teacher. But however, we have quite an amount of family time, as our kids are at home as well (no school so no Kindergarten neither). My 18 years old daughter can’t pass her tests to finish school and doesn’t know if she can start her studies in Ireland in autumn — that annoys her quite much. But we all are safe and in good health, so there’s no actual reason to moan. My mother who also lives in our house, stays in her apartment and we don’t visit each other to minimize the risk of infection.
There is no curfew yet in Germany but restaurants, bars, swimming pools, cinemas and whatever you can imagine is made for spending your free time in a crowdy place are shut and you are advised not to leave your home unless you have to buy food or visit the doctor.
There is not as much modelling time as you might think, as we try to find digtial ways to teach our pupils (making videos and stuff like that), besides of that our kids of course seek our attention (especially our 3 years old son who can’t understand what’s going on and why he mustn’t see grandma). And there are many things on the house that need to be done and I try to use these days to do it.
At the moment there’s the 1910 bus on my bench, almost finished besides of weathering and a dio base, there’s also a bf-109 E that waits to be finished, a diorama project focussing in a horse drawn Hheresfeldwagen in 1916 and, at last, yesterday I started WNW‘s Sopwith Pup. But one of my eyes got caight by that Trumpeter SBD-3 Dauntless waiting in my overcrowded stash. Ah, yeah, and there’s that Mig-3 too, that glimpsed around the corner....

Strongly  supporting our modelling businesses I am waiting for the postman to bring me a Trumpeter Wildcat and some bits from yahu and Master Casters. And I couldn‘t pass a Pyro 1:32 1940 Ford to convert it into a staff car somehow, that I picked up at ebay. But all these things are only there to shorten the waiting time until the availability of the Copper State Models Nieuport 21 and the Minerva and Lancia armored cars...  :)

Best regards, stay well and safe!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 03:45:21 AM »
Hello everybody, I'm also living in north Italy and trying to be isolated at my best. We cancelled a travel to Japan and sadly also my daugther's wedding bot no infected since now.
The actual countermeasures are expected to be in effect longer then announced as the desease is still spreading. I'm working on the unfinished LVG C.VI I started for the GB, along with several
other models abandoned on the bench for too long. I promise to post pictures soon. I wish all of us and our families health and good luck, hoping these bad times can be over quickly.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 07:41:12 AM »
Here in central California things are pretty strange.  As most of you are aware, our federal government response has been shambolic at best.  People here are following instructions as schools, etc. are closed due to the initiative of the state and local authorities.  However, most grocery stores have been picked clean by folks in panic mode mostly.  For me, I get out and walk daily, then work a bit on a WNW Albatros and Fokker DVII.  Both my kids work in the health industry, so they're good at keeping me informed.  Stay safe all of you, and let's not let this get us down.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
Wishing all of you well; especially those challenged by the rigors of unexpected isolation, preexisting health vulnerabilities, and potential loss of income. Discretion, courage, and resiliency will win the day.

I do nearly all of my provisioning in the first week of each month and even my cat has always had a stash. I've been living like a recluse for some years now, so my personal response to this latest outbreak has only resulted in a little bit more vigilance. My routine really hasn't changed at all. Mainly just checking the global COVID-19 tracker each morning and checking patterns in public panic since I have no intention of getting mixed up in a crowd of people fighting over commodities. I think many of them watch too much television.

I've been catching up on my reading and am about to start in on "America's First Eagles" which was a Christmas gift from my father who passed away in late January. I recently treated myself to a rather large order from Gaspatch- a couple dozen WWI machine guns, some more turnbuckles, and a few sets of Lichtenstein radar arrays for the WWII Dorniers. Oh, and a 1/28th CSM Clerget for Revell's big Camel and some lovely 1/32nd Aviattic lozenge decals. Still awaiting an opportunity to upgrade my air compressor, but it looks like I can finally do that in a week or so. I've mainly just been spending the time tidying up the stash, fondling plastic, and I also finished a major printing and labeling project to put profiles of my intended options on the sides of all of the model boxes.

As others have pointed out above and on other forums, we modelers may be among the best suited in our society to weather this sort of temporary crisis. If I'd had a crystal ball in January, I'd have replaced my air compressor sooner, but Lo! there's always something to do and fuss around with even when not actually building.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline RichieW

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 03:29:59 AM »
Wishing everybody the best of health and modelling, we're in for a rough ride but our hobby is one of the best when it comes to having to stay indoors.

Modelling wise this pandemic has halted all modelling this week due to my wife using my workspace to work from home. We have a desk arriving this evening for her so I should be set up again soon.

My Sopwith Camel (first ever biplane) will be getting many hours of work in the coming weeks and I have a big enough stash to keep me going for a year or two. I have 2 Roden SE5As on order and am contemplating starting the Revell 1/48 kit while I contemplate how to rig the Camel.

Keep modelling, stay well.

Richie

Offline drdave

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 08:30:51 PM »
I’m an Intensive Care Consultant.

Can’t see a lot of modelling getting done......sigh.