Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Felixstowe  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Clunkmeister

Wingnut Wings Felixstowe
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:28:20 PM »
Howdy folks,

I completed this back in 2017 and had a great time building it. I certainly learned a few tricks along the way which I’ll incorporate into my next Felixstowe build.

I used the amazing Pheon decal set for the red and white version, and used Aviattic’s incredible fabric decals for all flying surfaces.
One of the things I tried to accomplish was to show some salt staining and fabric wear due to use and spray. Streaking, chipping, paint patching, and a general used but not unkempt look was my goal, and I think I mostly accomplished that. But after that I was informed that the RN kept these in pristine condition, so my efforts only made the model less believable. Oh well, it looks good to me.
These pics are from 2017 and the model has been generally refined and improved over the years since.

I have no idea where to display this bloody massive thing, so I decided to do the blue/white Pheon scheme as well, and fix my little faux pas along the way.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:40:53 PM by Clunkmeister »

Offline smperry

Re: Wingnut Wings Felixstowe
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
I love the paint bottle wing jig. You have surely put your efforts where it shows. I have seen the big NC-4 up close in Pensacola and this model really catches the massive size of these old flying boats. Magnificent model!
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Clunkmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah she’s impressive and at he time was about as good as I could produce. In the three years since, I’ve certainly improved, so big blue will be better I hope.

One thing on these.  Mono line for the wing cellules is absolutely ESSENTIAL for the rigidity of the finished model. EX Line is fine for backstays and control runs, but if you use EZ Line between the wings, his model will sag in on itself.  With mono line, you can wave it around in the air, it’s that rigid.

Offline Russell

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 04:34:43 PM »
If the build was that quality on the smallest aircraft it would be very impressive but on one of that size & complexity it's an amazing achievement to have maintained such a high standard throughout.

Regards
Russell

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »
Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:21 PM »
That's an amazing build! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I guess the big problem now is where to display it? This model would seem to consume quite a bit of space. I'm in awe of your model making skills.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 11:04:35 PM »
Outstanding build all around! Your consistency of building and finishing is amazing. I am Not an RNAF expert but it seems to Me you have kept the weathering to minimum including chipping. Looks More than believable to Me!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:22:48 PM »
A thing of beauty - well done!

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
  "Streaking, chipping, paint patching, and a general used but not unkempt look was my goal, and I think I mostly accomplished that."

You have indeed, beautiful job and very real looking! An outstanding model, good luck finding the new home with an extra bay in the garage for a display area! :o ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 06:43:05 AM »
That is truly outstanding in every way. Looking at the detail that you have put in I am puzzled that you can add even more to your current build!!

Large models are fun to build and very impressive to look at - as yours so amply demonstrates - but that does not solve the display problem!!!!Which is why I generally stick to the One True Scale!

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 07:31:53 AM »
Truly amazing looking Felixstowe, congrats on conquering that giant.

Offline Clunkmeister

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 11:16:34 AM »
That is truly outstanding in every way. Looking at the detail that you have put in I am puzzled that you can add even more to your current build!!

Large models are fun to build and very impressive to look at - as yours so amply demonstrates - but that does not solve the display problem!!!!Which is why I generally stick to the One True Scale!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen,

But I do stick to The One True Scale!  1/32!  I love them all, but my 54 year old eyes aren’t into building through an electron microscope these days.
:)

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 04:32:47 AM »
What an amazing and lovely build! A true labour of love as I appreciate the long hours that went into this detailed and perfectly executed build! Well done Chuck! Regards, Marc.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »
An outstanding model - very intricate detailing.  Thanks for sharing it here.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
Way to go 'Clunk' - that's a lovely build, right down to the stitching holes in the wing rib tapes..
I especially like your subtle but visible weathering.
Right down to the weathering on the propeller protection end plates!!

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.