Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Felixstowe  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Clunkmeister

Re: Wingnut Wings Felixstowe
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
Way to go 'Clunk' - that's a lovely build, right down to the stitching holes in the wing rib tapes..
I especially like your subtle but visible weathering.
Right down to the weathering on the propeller protection end plates!!

Mike

Mike, you know how easy it is to go too far with that.  I reasoned the end plates would certainly pick up spray, and the copper should show some minor wear.
Unfortunately it’s mighty tough to go back to 1917 and have a peek-see. 

Offline smperry

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »
Well there is one thing that didn't ding a prop on British flying boats and that is homing pigeons. I have a pic of a guy in the nose of a USN flying boat of the period demonstrating how to chuck a pigeon overboard and miss the props. The caption said the British put their pigeons in little silk bags that the birds would slip out of after they got below and behind the props. So no need for simulated pigeon innards, though I expect the salt spray left it's mark. A real fine piece of modeling.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Clunkmeister

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
Pigeon innards would be tough to replicate.  LOL.

Although Dick Dastardly might appreciate a few of the finer pointers.

8)

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »
Quote:  Dick Dastardly might appreciate a few of the finer pointers.

ROTFL No doubt.

There are pigeon racers who set their birds off right next to out flying field which they circle over as they get their bearings. One of these days....
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Clunkmeister

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
Quote:  Dick Dastardly might appreciate a few of the finer pointers.

ROTFL No doubt.

There are pigeon racers who set their birds off right next to out flying field which they circle over as they get their bearings. One of these days....
sp

One of the places I flew freight out of had a chicken farm about 3 miles straight off the end of one of the runways.
It was Notam’d to avoid the area cuing certain times of the day, but every now and then, some dufus would run his machine straight overhead. The noise wasn’t the issue, but the shadows were. Cast a large shadow and the chickens wouldn’t lay for a week.
OOPS!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 02:37:01 AM »
That would be one huge chicken hawk!

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 06:54:10 AM »
Ditto all the above comments !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Clunkmeister

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
Agreed there. I guess that’s why they’re said to have “bird brains”

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 10:38:03 AM »
Ah yes - I remember seeing this model at Omaha at the IPMS convention, and meeting up with you. Awesome job, and thanks for posting all these great photos of your build. I've yet to start mine, and these will be a great reference when I do!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Clunkmeister

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
Ah yes - I remember seeing this model at Omaha at the IPMS convention, and meeting up with you. Awesome job, and thanks for posting all these great photos of your build. I've yet to start mine, and these will be a great reference when I do!
Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary,

I’m glad someone remembers it. It’s been around a few years, and after this one I immediately started another, but half way through the fuselage assembly, I powered out on rigging for awhile.

I learned a lot on this build, and my next one will be much more “factory fresh”, because that’s what people want to see. And it beats having to explain that the patches on the leading edges of the lower wings are actually intentional.  LMAO!

Will you be at the Nats in San Marcos this year? Assuming they’re not cancelled...  if so, stop and say hi. I hope to have a Halberstadt, my Lanc, and B-36 there.

- Ernie