Author Topic: RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72  (Read 44008 times)

Offline enathan

Re: RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 01:20:05 AM »
Hi Ian,
I'm following your excellent work with interest as the F.E.8 is one of my favourite WWI aircraft, and in the right scale...
I admire your efforts to carve a decent model out of the old and inaccurate Scaleplanes kit. Keep up the good work!
Ehud

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »
Coming along nicely with the corrections Ian , really like that prop ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 11:34:00 PM »
Thanks Ehud and Terri, much appreciated!

Just a quick update today as I got the sanding and reshaping of the cockpit nacelle completed. I have also added a floor along the entire length as it will double as a locator tab and also give a base for when I have to add filler along the seam! I'll add more tabs later.

That'll do nicely for now. Final shaping of the nose profile with filler can be done when it's all together.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »
Your corrections to the profile on the nose seem to be working nicely. I am looking forward to the net step!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 07:10:43 AM »
Really Ian I agree with others: it would have been easier to scratch build this one. I did convert mine from the Airfix DH 4 and that was less work than you are having to do.

Stephen.

Offline IanB

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »
All part of the fun, Stephen!
 I do enjoy correcting the kits when possible, although I'll scratchbuild if that's impossible (Merlin Fokkers for example!)

Ian

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »
Hey Ian , so far the fuselage halves are really starting to take shape now and should excellent once the finally touch ups are done . I's not an easy shape to work with . You asked the question about the lower panel , the lower panel shouldn't be there It's the same as the DH-2 . I left my off to show off all the detail . But they were removed on some aircraft at the unit level to improve cooling . I haven't seen any photo's to support that though , so it's all speculation .

Terri
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:43:51 AM by Terri »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 08:21:35 PM »
That’s without any doubt one of the most work intensive build jobs I’ve ever seen. Chapeau, what a great result so far. I am sure it will become another little jewel.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline IanB

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:32 PM »
Sorry it's been a while since the last update, busy at work!

Well, that and a total failure at soldering!

I recently bought a new iron and wanted to try it out, but for the life of me couldn't get anything to stick together! I persevered for a whole afternoon before putting it down (before I threw it!) and going for a beer. 

Yesterday I tried again and couldn't get any solder on the tip. Every tie I tried to tin it, the solder just formed a little ball Anyone have any ideas?

I ended up using solder paint and got the cockpit framework done, including what will be the "spars" for the lower wings, to give them a positive location and a bit of strength. I was thinking of adding the cabane struts but that would mean removing the upper centre section of the nacelle and would make it awkward to fabricate the fairing along the spine, so I will just drill holes for those and CA them in.

Anyway, here's where I got to.

I'll leave the two bits sticking out the back for now as they give me something to hold it by when working on it/painting it.

The gun mount was also done

I will CA the cross braces for the seat support, and the rudder pedals/control column as I don't want to break the joints I already have!

I'm happy with those but would love to know why I can't get the solder to stick!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 02:05:38 AM »
Terrific progress and very clever work on the interior frame and spar assembly.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 02:47:17 AM »
Ian
You are doing some fine work with that little vac. It is one thing to correct the shape of the shells, a whole 'nother order of magnitude to get a tiny frame to fit well inside. I have never heard of solder paint. Does it actually bond the join? Where is it available?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 06:29:13 AM »
Terrific progress and very clever work on the interior frame and spar assembly.
RAGIII

Agree  with my Amigo, I did a lone Star in 1/48 and so know the problems, compounded  by 1/72 scale, great work !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
I like it Ian , shaping up awesome !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »
I agree with Terri!  It's one of my favorites!
Dan

Offline IanB

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
@ smperry This isn't the exact stuff I have but the same idea.

https://www.solderconnection.com/p592/Fryolux-Leaded-Solder-Paint.html

Ian