Author Topic: RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72  (Read 44538 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2020, 05:32:01 AM »
Those wing ribs really look the part Ian. This is going to be a super pusher when you finish it. Just in time to start another one....!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2020, 12:18:32 AM »
Both ribs and prop are Superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline O_Pablo

« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2020, 05:15:57 AM »
Still about ribbing. Some time ago on the Britmodeller forum, John Aero (John Adams from Aeroclub) posted advice on ribbing in the thread HP 0/400 built by MOA (Gabriel Stern) - link below.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/491-john-aero/content/page/8/&type=forums_topic_post
I tried his method, it's ok, although I don't know if I'll use it on my models.

Regards
Paul
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:50:09 AM by O_Pablo »

Offline IanB

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
Thanks Pablo. I saw that, but still decided that the ribs do not stick up above wing level (except maybe a tiny bit right at the leading edge) so decided not to add any tape of any sort which would cause them to be raised. It's just too much in this small scale.

It seems I forgot to post the pic of the underside of the wings. There were a few areas of seepage but easily corrected with a scalpel blade and VERY gently removed by scraping, but otherwise the wrap-around has come out nicely.

I started to add the decals on the nacelle this evening. Numbers from the Pegasus sheet.

The big number 6 on each side of the nose which I printed myself didn't come out too well, although the concept seems ok. The problem was accurately trimming the number out of the white backing sheet without leaving a white edge. I got one ok but then it folded on itself and stuck together. By the time I got it separated the red edge had started to seep. I printed 4 so I have given the other 2 another sealant coat and will try again tomorrow with a fresh number 11 blade.

The wheels also needed more work. Apparently when I first used them I had filled the inner sides with putty to reduce the tyre overhang. Unfortunately I couldn't get that smooth so I scraped it all out and pulled out my (relatively) new circle cutter. Two 8mm discs of .5mm sheet later and I have these.

Much better! One other unexpected benefit of redoing the wheels was that I noticed that it was not only the outer faces that were white. The inner faces were also, so the whole lot can now be repainted correctly!

That's all for now, thanks for looking in!

Stay safe!

Ian

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
Always feel good when the decals start being applied . shaping splendly so far Ian . Looking forward to the next up-date  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »
Looking very good Ian. You are making it harder and harder each update for me to keep my 1:72 Blue Rider Vickers Fb.9 in the bag. It is a real pleasure to see those decals going on that little gem.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline IanB

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2020, 03:58:01 AM »
Thanks guys!

I attempted the number 6 again tonight. Not too bad..

I know many have said it, but really, it doesn't look that bad "in the flesh"! The white edges are barely visible with the naked eye. My main concern is the white. Or more accurately, the not-quite-white! I think plan "A" will be to print some more tomorrow and see if I can lay another one over each of those to brighten up the white. The edges can be cleaned up with a fine brush.

More to come....

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2020, 05:23:10 AM »
Looking great Ian! The numbers should work out well with the second layer! Either way though I am sure it would be difficult to see in actual size. One wonders how well the numbers covered the PC 10 on the original  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
In agreement with Rick Ian , another decal on top will be perfect . To much of the PC is showing . It would take a fair a mount of white to paint the numbers in the field so a little of the underline base colour would slight show . But I guess that would also depend on how thick of paint they were using . Either way Ian , I have really enjoy following your progress , you'r doing one hell of job on this one ! Still can wait for the rigging to start  :o

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »
Thanks Rick and Terri. I hope it works out, but there is a plan "B"...
 My first option was originally to paint the white then mask the numbers, and I tried hand cutting masks but they were crap. Hence this attempt. However I'm still not 100% sure it will work and I may have to resort back to plan "A" so to that end I have ordered a Silhouette cutter so I can cut them properly if (when?) they are needed!

I printed 6 more 6's today, they have been sprayed with fixative and will sit until tomorrow....

Since decals were no longer on the cards for today I made these.

1mm aluminium tube with a .5mm brass rod stuck in to fix them. Any guesses?

No, they are not "potato mashers"! They are, in fact, "pulleys" for the tail control cables and have been stuck in their holes in the lower wing as shown here

Happy with those, and much easier than trying to cut lengths of plastic rod then drilling them! (Then painting them aluminium!)

Ian

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »
In this scale , the pulleys are perfect !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline IanB

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2020, 10:06:42 PM »
Thanks Terri!

Today's jobs: Decals and paint.

Part 1 - s I mentioned I printed out some more 6s yesterday so this morning I set to work to see if I cold make this work. Instead of using a scalpel blade though, this time I used my Iris scissors. This gave me a much closer cut and much more control too. After applying the decals over the previous ones I left them for an hour or two, then went at them with a very small brush. First I used PC10 on the white bits, then red to touch up the borders as necessary. I still have a slight problem with the white, and it's not the PC10 showing through. I noticed that despite a good coat of sealant, the red was bleeding. I think maybe because I cut right up to the edge and "broke the seal" as it were. However, despite the slightly pinkish look I think they'll do. Opinions welcome!

Upon further comparison to pics of the actual aircraft it is obvious that the number is too tall and thin. I think this happened because of my "cheat". Instead of adding a border I printed them with the edge line wider. Instead of adding on to the outside of the number when increasing width, as I'd expected, it expanded inwards. In other words, what is red here should be white, with the red border outside that, giving the appearance of a taller, thinner, number. Since I don't intend to sit in front of my cabinet comparing it to the photo, I'll stick with what I have, although it's slightly annoying, having gone to great lengths to get it right.

The eagle eyed will also notice that I have added a larger centre to the roundel. It's still slightly smaller than the photo but much better than it was. It too will stay as is!

In other news, the wheels got painted white (both sides!), the stitching got a dry brush of black, and the decals got a dull coat. RAF Green paint was also sprayed at another project.......(I'll post details of that on the off topic page as I should probably bring you all up to date on that too!)

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2020, 01:13:50 AM »
Looking great to My eyes. You have worked wonders in 1/72nd scale. I couldn't do this in 1/32nd!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2020, 01:45:19 AM »
Thanks Rick!

I took a small hairy stick to this this morning,

Less pinker!  ;D

I'm staying with that.
Maybe cabanes on tomorrow...

Ian

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
You are to hard on yourself my friend , that looks perfect to my eye . Well done so far !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch