Author Topic: "This is going to be a bloody April..." Fe2d (WNW conversion 1/32) 2 April 1917  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Borsos

Hello,

I always loved the appearance of te Fee, and the release of the Fe2b by WNW was one of the reasons to switch to the 1:32 scale for me. My plan was to convert the "b" version into an early "d" version with Rolls Royce Eagle engine and Trafford Jones undercarriage. Browsing my references my choice fell on A' 1959 which served with 57 Sqn from 7 december 1916 to 2 April 1917. On that very day it was brought down behind German lines, probabely by Ltn. Gontermann of Jasta 5, LT TF Burill made POW and Pte F Smith POW wounded – according to The Royal Aircraft Factory Fe2b/d & variants in RFC, RAF, RNAS & AFC Service by the RAF Museum and Cross and Cockarde International (2009), p.155. There are two photos of A' 1959 in German hands and a profile drawn by Ronny Barr.
The title of this work therefore is "Das verspricht ja, ein blutiger April zu werden..." ("This is going to be a bloody April..."). I chose to present this machine a little different from my other builds, so I put it nose over onto my base and had added a little battle damage on the upper wing (a part which isn't visible on the photos, so prove me wrong – there weren't any bullet holes  :) ). I set the scene in the moment when German flying personnel arrived to have a look on the captured machine (it is no certain pilot I wanted to portray, so I gave them a wide mix of uniforms, yellow dragoon and black pioneer caps). The prisoners are already taken away, but some bandages and other leftover from the first aid for the wounded LT F Smith still litter the ground.
The Fee and its Rolls Royce engine are from Wingnut Wings I altered the nacelle according to photos from an Fe2b to an Fe2d and vacuformed a new engine cover. The figures and equipment are from Modell Cellar, Elan 13, Kellerkind and Wings Cockpit, the heads are from Hornet and Jon Smith Modellbau. A build log can be found here: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8612.0

Best regards

Andreas
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:59:08 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

I Loved following your build log and the results are Simply Brilliant. Seeing it all come together in this beautiful scene has Me Gobsmacked! Stunning conversion, rigging, painting, detailing, and Presentation!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Andreas,
   As usual for your efforts the end product is spectacular, what a magnificent model. Rick has said it very well, "stunning conversion, rigging, painting, detailing and presentation"! My unreserved compliments, this is simply superb!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Mein lieber Scholli,
Andreas, again a wonderful scene to watch, beautifully and very skillful built and modified. It is always nice to see with how much fantasy you put your models in scene.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Great work, Andreas.  The modeling is done very well and the diorama depicts the scene.
Coincidently, I have just finished reading a book by Frederick Libby, who was an American that flew as an observer in one of these crates.  It's a good read.

Offline ondra

This is simply brilliant, Andreas, congratulations on such an excellent result!

Cheers

Ondra

Bughunter

Andreas, you finished this model just in time for the exhibition on coming weekend - I hope to see you and your Fe2d there!
Beside the date also all other aspects are perfectly done, clean build, great paintwork and weathering, figures, story telling dio. I can see also flowers ;D
Congratulation!

Coincidently, I have just finished reading a book by Frederick Libby, who was an American that flew as an observer in one of these crates.  It's a good read.
I have this book in my library after the discussion about it here. I read it some time ago on vacation. Very interesting!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

That is a simply wonderful conversion Andreas. (I am afraid that mine will not look nearly as good!) Converting models in this larger scale is not easy, but you have made it look simple in your biold log - always the mark of a truly gifted modeller. The scene is incredibly realistic too - in fact everything in this diorama is truly inspiring.

Stephen.

Offline xan

As always tour models told stories, sad stories war stories....
Wonderful, really!
Xan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:51:51 AM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Simply gorgeous Andreas, what else can I say.

Offline gedmundson

Absolutely beautiful, Andreas. All aspects of your completed scene are carried off with great skill and finesse. Congrats on a superbly finished and presented project.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline dr 1 ace

Great work and great composition !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Greetings Andreas

Your Fe2d diorama is just breathtaking, spectacular, awesome and all of the other words that describe modelling excellence!

I love the way you have told the story through the model and figures and kudos for the excellent base too, very realistic!

I hope you send these images to Wingnuts for their website customer page.

Thank you so much for sharing this magnificent project with us.

kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Bloody hell , that is just gorgeous !  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Superb build and diorama.
The figures really add to the final story and resting place of the Fee  ;)

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith