Author Topic: Sopwith Tabloid Monaco Schneider Cup, based on Special Hobby 1/48  (Read 3589 times)

Bughunter

Sopwith Schneider  

Two years I have done a project Lebed, which was a russian copy of the Sopwith Tabloid. This was created from a Special Hobby kit in 1/48 with a lot of enhancements. At the end it was clear for me that I have to do this kit again, but as float plane, as used during the Schneider Cup in Monaco. As a experiment I tried to create the floats from scratch with real wood, but due to missing kit, no decals of that machine and other projects nothing was done.
So the floats led a miserable existence in my showcase ... until last Christmas - I'm now a owner of a electronic cutting plotter. In meantime I catched also the "Limited Edition" kit of the Sopwith Schneider (really pitty, that many parts are not used) so I put all running projects aside and started with this biplane in January.

Now this bird is finished, and I like it a lot! :)

Beside the mentioned kit I used a rotary engine kit created by Small Stuff, turnbuckles made in Greece by Gaspatch Models and created many parts from brass, wood (e.g. floats, air screw, struts, seat and other cockpit parts) and aluminium.
The painting was done with Alclad, Mr. Paint, Gunze and oil paints and pastells for weathering.
The small decals are LF-Models, as mentioned the bigger markings are masked and painted.

A very detailed build log which talks also about history can be found here: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10756.0

It is really great, to have this important piece of aviation history in my cabinet and at the same time as very unique item because this livery is not available as kit ;)

Now the pictures - have fun! 8) (click on the pics for a bigger version)

I have the faintest hope that my model will not end up like this ;)

Source: kingstonaviation.org

If you like it, you are welcome to leave a few words - if not, you can :-*

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:25:50 AM by Bughunter »

Offline Rip Van Winkle

Re: Sopwith Tabloid Monaco Schneider Cup, based on Special Hobby 1/48
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:27:06 AM »
Very nicely done! Fantastic result.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:14:17 AM »
Fun following your build which yielded this mini-masterpiece.  Congratulations Frank.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:31:41 AM »
Fun following your build which yielded this mini-masterpiece.  Congratulations Frank.

Same from Me Frank! Your use of Metal and making small details in Top Notch in all respects!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:49:43 AM »
I love following your work Frank , this is is Wow just Wow . Thanks for sharing with us  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 02:05:02 PM »
Great little plane, very attractive. Build log was inspiring, as usual. Well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
So typical of your work, Nicely Done !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline xan

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »
very nice and original
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
Real masterpiece !
It is WOW kind of job you have done within SH rather low quality kit
Perfect
regards
K

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
Wow Frank!
I may say this is a masterpiece!
Well done in all aspects and really inspiring, I have the 1/72 version from Eduard and...why not?
Only a question: I saw some other modellers that choose red as color for the insignia and someone black as you.
May I ask why you choose black? I made same question to modellers on the "red" side...
Great work!
Roberto

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:43 PM »
This is a beautiful outcome, Frank. Magic!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 02:27:20 AM »
Wow my friends, thank you very much for your nice comments, every one highly appreciated!

Only a question: I saw some other modellers that choose red as color for the insignia and someone black as you.
May I ask why you choose black? I made same question to modellers on the "red" side...
Oh yes Roberto, that is a open question! I thought about that too, after I found a model with red in the internet.
There are some artists interpretations in color paintings, see my build report, and all of them (the ones I found) are showing black signs. The same for pictures and models of the other starters, like the Morane float plane with number "1" on the wings.

I found a PDF with a detailed analysis of the different states and layouts of this Sopwith biplane (e.g. it gets new canvas and wheels after the Schneider Cup, and the letters was different) with many drawings from the RC scene, and asked the author about this red or black letters. And he strongly voted also for black.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 03:31:05 AM »
What an amazing model! So beautifully done and definitely a labour of love! You can be very proud of this piece of history.... Regards, Marc.

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 05:15:39 AM »
Top notch, fantastic!

Jörg

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
Frank,
    Yet another magnificent piece of work, your skills just keep getting better! Your metal work additions, great wood work on the floats, weathering and detail all combine in this rare little beauty. Then are the flowers, a truly masterful touch, well done! 
Cheers,
Lance