Author Topic: Nieuport 24 in 1/32nd Scale by "Fitter" and Repainted by "Matt77"  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Gene K

Re: Nieuport 24 in 1/32nd Scale by "Fitter" and Repainted by "Matt77"
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »
I would be in the middle of the room jumping up and down ( all giggles of course ) ...going ....I know ! I know ! and then not remember why I was jumping in the first place little alone recall what I was going to say  ;)

Hey, I resemble that!

Nice idea on the paper filler.

Gene K

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
You guys are full of great advice.  I really want to see Terri get excited about paper filler.   ;D

So here is the cowling after about 9 spray sessions with primer and sanding in between.  Starting to NOT look like paper.  The key will be to paint it to resemble the rest of the model!   ::)

More soon...Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 11:57:12 PM »
Beautifully impressive cowl!!! I assume you used the epoxy you mentioned to strengthen the inside -- did you have any sand-through of the paper??

Gene K

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2020, 12:42:46 AM »
Beautifully impressive cowl!!! I assume you used the epoxy you mentioned to strengthen the inside -- did you have any sand-through of the paper??

Gene K

It may have been difficult but your results on the cowling are beautiful!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »
Dan,
I should have been paying more attention to YouTube since I subscribed to your channel so I could follow the Nieuport build. I'm way behind viewing, so I'll have to binge watch today .... as soon as I get my popcorn and Coke.

https://tinyurl.com/sc9jsqk

Gene K

Update: Just watched four videos in a row, and must say that you are an eloquent orator ... easy to listen to and to the point!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:34:31 AM by Gene K »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 10:09:21 AM »
Wow, Dan!  That cowling is AWESOME!  As is the rest of the model.  Outstanding work all 'round!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
Thanks so much, Bud, Rick and Gene!  It means a lot. 

Gene:  I ended up coating the inside of the cowling with thick super glue and hitting it with some accelerator.  Made a nice, stiff backing.  Then I sanded the paper edges a bit and then just started adding spray primer over and over again with sanding in between coats.  I never did sand through the paper, which kind of surprised me a bit.  I do think I put 9 or 10 coats on but now basically all of the paper seams are gone and the dang thing looks like plastic!  Now I'll play around with airbrushing the color to make it look close to the rest of the machine. 

I'm glad the videos aren't too bad.  I think I've lost some of the cowl priming bits but I'm working on the videos for the gun right now.  It's fun to do and while tedious, if folks get something out of them, they are worth it!  I appreciate the look-see.

More soon...Dan :D

Offline Gene K

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »
...  just started adding spray primer over and over again with sanding in between coats. 

I note that you do RC models as well as paper, plastic, etc ... as I do. You may want to try this "Secret Sauce" as a filler.

https://tinyurl.com/rgovc4s

I use the Sauce when making cowls, spinners, etc, but sometimes reduce it to just a mix of light-weight Spackle and Water Based Polyurethane (MiniWax). May save you a few coats.

Gene K

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »
That's so cool, Gene.  I will try that on my next one.  The filling properties look great and I don't even care about weight for these suckers.  The Spackle and MinWax combo sounds intriguing.  ???

Stay tuned!

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2020, 11:14:50 AM »
Super job on the cowl Dan !!! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 02:12:57 PM »
All,

Well I'm back from a visit to my 86 year-old mother to see the plane she and my dad owned for 11 years.  We found it in a museum in Missouri and it was a blast.  For those who may know, it was a 1948 Monocoupe 90AL 115.  My dad owned it from 1954 to 1965 and reluctantly sold it when my big sister was born.  We had such a great time and my mom loved seeing "her" plane again.

But now it's fun to be working on the ol' Nieuport again.  I painted the cowling to make it match a bit more to the fuselage, weathered with some careful airbrushing and then added a tiny syringe for the gun barrel.  Next will be the tails and wings.  Should go together pretty fast now! 

Stay tuned...Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:22 PM »
Great to have you back Dan. You have done a Terrific job of getting the cowling to match. No one would know had you not told us it was painted!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »
Wow Dan , that turned out super , excellent job on the blending it all together and matt77's painting :)

( Cookie is out of scale though  ;) )

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 01:10:45 AM »
Terri,

Those darn Canadian cookies.  Too tasty.  ;D

Rick,

Thanks for your input.  I am indeed pleased by that darn cowling.  Not only does it look nice on the model, but it doesn't look like a bunch of seams of paper stitched together.  Amazing what an be accomplished with primer and sandpaper.

Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »
Got the tails on!  Probably shouldn't have...but I couldn't resist.  Wings are next!
Cheers,
Dan