Author Topic: Nieuport 24 in 1/32nd Scale by "Fitter" and Repainted by "Matt77"  (Read 9972 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Nieuport 24 in 1/32nd Scale by "Fitter" and Repainted by "Matt77"
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 05:55:17 AM »
Hi Terri,

That looks like a really nice kit, by the way.  I bet you could even find laser cut parts for it for things like formers and ribs.  It does make things particularly exact, precise and takes a lot of the guess work out.

By the way...I think I use 160gm/cm2 paper.  I got mine in A4 size from a now defunct stationary place on line.  A4 is nice as that's sort of the standard for these models as most are from Poland, Russian, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic etc.  The paper is thicker and tougher than typing paper but it is easy to form.  I do some sanding of pieces to thin them for especially tight curves or to help hide seams.

Here is the latest.  I got all my thicker parts on to 1/32nd balsa and have started the rear fuselage.  Looking good so far!

Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »
All,
Got a bit more done for the new week.  I started covering the rear fuselage and then began cutting out and folding the cockpit parts.  They need to be done, skinned and then the front and rear parts attached.  So far, so good and things to line up pretty well (see the dragon tail and Diana's bow etc.).  Not bad at all!

More soon...Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 01:45:20 AM »
As usual I miss a few days and you are halfway through the build  ;D As always all looks fantastic, engine, formers, interior bits and fuselage!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »
This is turning out to be a quick one for you , nice progress Dan . I still can't get over those graphics , totally cool  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »
Thanks, Terri and Rick!  This is turning out to be a fun one.  So far, no huge issues either (fit-wise!).
So I got the cockpit basically done and started adding the front formers to the rear portion.  Next will be skinning the forward sections.  The goal will be to get nice, tight seams like the one I'm holding in place with Diana on the side.  If they end up looking this good, I'll be a happy camper!  ;D

Cheers and more soon...Dan

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »
All,
Things seemed to work out pretty darn well!  Except for some small details like the gun and tail skid etc., the fuselage came together with little drama and all the seams look pretty tight and nice (don't look at the seam under the front between the area where the landing gear will go... ::))  Next up will be the gun but then the last hard part: the cowling!  Sends shivers up my spine!!  :-\

We'll see how she goes this weekend. 

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 10:30:32 PM »
Nice Dan , starting to really come together now and I didn't look at the seam to which you ref too  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 11:30:42 PM »
Looks great Dan, best of luck with your cowl.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 12:14:33 AM »
Excellent work as always Dan! Lovely scheme and skillfully done!
RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »
Thanks, Juan and Rick!  I got the cowl roughed-in and the Vickers completed.  Everything looks cool but I do think I want to fill the interior of the cowl with epoxy and then sand and fill the outside to get a smoother finish.  This isn't strictly legal in the paper-model world but this guy is turning out so well, I think it needs it!  Anyway, I like is so far and with some burnishing, the cowling would be very nice as designed.  I'll make my decision after I sleep on it a bit.

Thanks for folding along with me...Dan

P.S. Is it correct to have ammo in the track to the left of the Vickers gun?  I just realized that I thought "live" ammo would come in from a container under the gun, get fed through the curved part on the right side and the spent bits would go out to the left.  Or is this backwards?  Or is it all wrong...just wondering... :-\
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:12:44 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 12:48:23 AM »
Continuing to look Awsome! As for the ammo, It enters from the right. I think the spent shells ejected through a chute on the bottom and the empty belt fed through the left and onto a drum. Not claiming to be an expert though  ::)
RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 02:40:01 AM »
Thanks, Rick...I think the designer got sort of carried away with coolness so the open track, though very well represented, is full of unspent ammo!  Oh, well...You can hardly see it once the wings are in place.  That long track is just calling out for live ammo!  ;)

Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:49 AM »
...  fill the interior of the cowl with epoxy and then sand and fill the outside to get a smoother finish.  This isn't strictly legal in the paper-model world ... .

Will you be entering the model in a Paper Model Competition? If not, do what makes YOU happy.

Most paper modelers I know use wire (gear and strut strength), plastic (windshields), foam (bulkheads) and balsa (bulkheads, struts, etc). Besides, you already used balsa, so the purity/"legality"/whatever has been breached.

I sand my cowls, and as the Reese's commercials say, "Not sorry". ;D

Gene K

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
Good point, Gene.  I just can't help it.  I really do enjoy and am amazed at paper modeling but those darn strips and petal designs just look off on the finished product.  I shall continue to fill, sand and repeat 'til my heart's content... 8)

I hope to show off my cowling work soon.  I'm on it's 6th primer layer with sanding...

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 11:09:52 AM »
You know if you can find paper dust ( from paper shredders ) mix it with white glue and use that as your filler . Since you already need glue and the base of the fill is paper ....only say .... ;)

This is where I would be in the middle of the room jumping up and down ( all giggles of course ) ...going ....I know ! I know ! and then not remember why I was jumping in the first place little alone recall what I was going to say  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch