Author Topic: Sopwith Schneider, Special Hobby 1/48, Upd 14.2.2020 St Valentine's Day  (Read 17853 times)

Offline Robin

Re: Sopwith Schneider, Special Hobby 1:48, Upd 4.1.2020 Wings
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
Looks great Frank. :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 12:33:44 AM »
Nice progress, Frank.  I am wondering if the very light wing ribs in the one picture are simply how the light is reflecting off the bottom surface of the top wing.  The ribs are not visible on the bottom of the bottom wing in the same picture.  But, who can tell?

I, too, got a cutting machine for Xmas - a Silhouette Cameo 4, and have made a couple of masks already in frisket paper.  My experience so far reveals the design software has some severe limitations when it comes to using photos to make masks, which is a primary reason I got it.  I may not be aware of all the software's capabilities, though.  So far, I am happy with this new tool, though.

Anyway, you are making great progress on this project.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:28 AM »
I love the results of your see through wings. Subtle, not overdone!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 03:40:56 AM »
This is really up to your usual standard Frank. The wings and numbers look very good.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 04:17:47 AM »
Fantastic progress Frank. The wings and floats look great.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 05:50:13 AM »
Thank you very much, my friends!

I, too, got a cutting machine for Xmas - a Silhouette Cameo 4, and have made a couple of masks already in frisket paper.
Cool! Mine is a Silhouette Portrait 2, which is big enough for me.
You use paper? I got the recommendation to use a foil "Oramask 810" (not the 810S, which uses uses a solvent glue). It is cheap, allows very fine details (better compared to Tamiya tape), and is grey transparent for easier positioning. I got a 5m spool from ebay.
The Oramask is visible right on the wings in my last picture.

My experience so far reveals the design software has some severe limitations
I can't help with that. I don't have a Windows PC but using Linux, so the Silhouette software is useless for me.
There is a open source program for vector graphics Inkscape, uses the common SVG format.
And for that is a plugin available to talk to the cutter: https://github.com/fablabnbg/inkscape-silhouette
Only Bluetooth is not working, I can pair it with Linux, but the plugin is not yet aware of this connection. The author promised, it will work within a evening, once he got access to a cutting machine with Bluetooth interface ;)

I made some tests after Christmas, it cuts, but I don't have much experience yet.

Anyway, you are making great progress on this project.
Thank you! Eduard is making weekend kits, may be I finish it within a week?
But I don't think so. I made a good progress due to holiday, tomorrow is here a public holiday, but this is my last free day - so the progress will be much slower.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 07:40:27 AM »
I don't know what the best media is for cutting masks for our application, but the photo frisket paper is a very thin plastic film of some sort that has an adhesive layer and a paper backing.  It is used most frequently for masking on air brushed pictures and is available in most artist supply shops.

I made masks for the number '75' here.  I took an image of the plane and was able to lift the '75' from it using the Silhouette software.  The quality of the results depends on how clear the original photo is.

The cutter can follow some very jagged lines - sometimes that's not what I want it to do.  If you have good results with the Oramask 810, I may have to try some.

Bughunter

Sopwith Schneider, Special Hobby 1:48, Upd 6.1.2020 Cockpit
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »
Cockpit

For the race the Tabloid get a wider fuselage for the bigger 100 h.p. engine, so I tried to fix it with Evergreen:

Sanded to the new layout:

Then I removed the details inside, als on my Lebed. Same floor and dashboard included in kit.

A new wooden seat:

And a new 0.7mm thick wooden steering wheel. The self made "PE" is nickel silver, my first try with brass failed. 

Wooden primer improves the look:

Same for the mounted steering wheel:

Readded internal details according sketches using real wood, after alu and linen paint:

Internal rigging created with 0.1mm nickel silver + 0.3mm brass pipes.

Important detail: a wooden floor!

Looks again better with some paint, with 0.5mm veneer less layers compared to the sketch:

Will later look like this:

The dashboard is finished too, after I found a Tabloid picture showing a part of the dashboard (the one in Hendon is empty :( )

This was a huge amount of work. Comparable to my Lebed built, but I tried to improve in some areas.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Sopwith Schneider, Special Hobby 1:48, Upd 6.1.2020 Cockpit
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
Terrific progress on the wooden parts Frank , shaping up nicely so far .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »
Regarding the cockpit floor:
"Looks again better with some paint, with 0.5mm veneer less layers compared to the sketch:"
The sketch could be wrong  ;D

Nice wood work.  Once again your mastery of detail is showing through.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 01:16:33 AM »
     The floor looks great Frank, as in so many cases using the actual material works better then trying to replicate it with something else. This is already looking like another winner from your talented hands!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 02:30:23 AM »
I agree with Lance: the natural materials look so much better than trying to paint plastic etc. This is a real treat to follow - so much skill on display here.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 02:43:30 AM »
Thank you Terri, Ken, Lance and Stephen!

Regarding the cockpit floor:
"Looks again better with some paint, with 0.5mm veneer less layers compared to the sketch:"
The sketch could be wrong  ;D
Now that you mention it, why didn't I think of that?  ;D

This is already looking like another winner
And I really like the fact, that this is not available as kit with decals, so this aircraft is not seen often  8)

Really pitty, that again so much wooden details are hidden, once the fuselage is closed (I hope, that this can be done soon).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 02:58:12 AM »
Exceptional work on your model Frank - your woodworking skills are amazing! Great pictures.
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

Sopwith Schneider, Special Hobby 1:48, Upd 7.1.2020 Engine
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 06:25:20 AM »
Thank you Gary!

One step more ...
Engine

Luckily the needed engine type is available from Small Stuff (and my stash - I own all types :) )

Here the first 10 parts of the "Gnome Monosoupape 9B-2 (100 hp)" rotary are glued and 36 parts (+ spares!) are painted:

All 46 kit parts in place. Ignition wires and oil wash will be done later with mounting.

I have shown that more detailed in my older build reports, so here only the result (I strongly suggest to follow the extended manual of the manufacturer of that kits, link in every package).
Again one important step done.

Cheers,
Frank
PS: I could just about hold back from installing the ninth cylinder unused and fresh ;D (see first post)