Author Topic: Eduard Fokker D.VIII (1/48)  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Softscience

Eduard Fokker D.VIII (1/48)
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
My skills have been feeling a little rusty lately, and I don't feel quite ready for any of the big and expensive kits. While fooling around with the WNW ships camel, I spent most of my efforts on Eduard's parasol fokker.

The kit builds very much like the F.I I completed a few years ago and had so much fun with. The individual cockpit components have been fiddly (a lot of thin fragile sticks) and the rudder bar assembly shot off into deep space at some point.nevertheless, as a complete assembly things look fine to my eye.

Still, Eduard's engineering on their WWI kits is not up to the same standard of buildabilty as their fancier WWII and modern stuff.

Fuselage halves fit is only okay.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:38:48 AM by Softscience »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Eduard Fokker E.V (1/48(
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:49:52 PM »
You're getting good building experience here.  Your confidence in building should be on the increase - nice job.

Offline AndRoby67

Re: Eduard Fokker D.VIII (1/48)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 06:06:55 AM »
Hi!
Good work until now.
Next time "wash" with Clear doped Linen the inside lozenge. In reality it was the inside of the printed lozenge fabric, so little of the lozenge print was visible inside.
The division between the horizontal tail surfaces and the fuselage was clearly marked in the D.VIII, so don't use putty to cover!
Hope useful,
Roberto

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »
This is a good start: with a few simpler kits your skill level should increase and with it your confidence  so that you will feel better about tackling more complex kits.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 05:03:47 AM »
This is a good start: with a few simpler kits your skill level should increase and with it your confidence  so that you will feel better about tackling more complex kits.

Stephen.

I agree with Stephen 100% Your EV is moving along nicely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Robin

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »
Nice!

I am more or less where you are now also. Trying to gain experience, skills and find the courage to tackle a WNW kit.  :)

Still, Eduard's engineering on their WWI kits is not up to the same standard of buildabilty as their fancier WWII and modern stuff.
Maybe true, but still very nice kits. Fairly accurate, but not always easy to build. But, but...they have them!  :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »

I am more or less where you are now also. Trying to gain experience, skills and find the courage to tackle a WNW kit.  :)

Maybe true, but still very nice kits. Fairly accurate, but not always easy to build. But, but...they have them!  :)

Robin

True, and we beggars can't be choosers. It's pretty much Eduard and Roden in this scale. How did we get to such a sad state?

But moaning asside, I've got the fuselage of the fokker more or less complete. I'm debating if I should try fitting the struts before painting. On the one hand, they may be obtrusive (Im doing the black and yellow stripes finish) but on the other things may get messy trying to fit them once paint is involved. The attachment points for the long struts are a bit nebulous.

Much to ponder.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
Looks like your building a nice model there. You'll be ready to tackle that Ships Camel in no time at all. Nice thing about the Eduard WWI stuff is they have a bunch of nice planes and they really look pretty decent and I have seen them built into real beauties. Looking forward to seeing your progress on both kits.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 01:16:28 PM »
Things are getting pretty yellow propeller in here. Accurate or not, u wanted a more golden color, so I added some orange to my yellow. I like how it looks. Tomorrow I mask and paint the wasp stripes.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:27:07 PM by Softscience »

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »
Very nice work. The most important of building a kit is to have fun....and it seem you have fun.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 05:43:39 PM »
I like that yellow,it's one of those colours that can be a bugger to get the hue and coverage you're trying to achieve.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »
Looking great! You are really making progress and seem to be enjoying this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 09:28:57 AM »
I agree with Dave - getting the correct hue is difficult. The black stripes will tone it down a bit though I am sure.

Stephen.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
AT LAST! I got the stupid stripes done on this thing. They're not perfect. Somehow tiny errors in measurement get compounded with high contrast colors. But even in an imperfect state, I like how they look.

I surprised that my primer did not stop the paint from peeling off of the metal parts. That is going to be a bear to retouch :(

Offline Softscience

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
for those of you planning on doing this scheme; in 1/48 scale, the yellow stripes are 8.5 mm wide and the black stripes are 7.35 mm wide.