Author Topic: Eduard Fokker D.VIII (1/48)  (Read 4383 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Eduard Fokker D.VIII (1/48)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 11:57:48 PM »
Looks awesome! I do Love Stripey Aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Softscience

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 06:52:01 AM »
Thanks!

A few more details.

Offline Robin

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Looks really good already and a very nice yellow. :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
Always like this scheme , nice job so far  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 03:17:16 AM »
Looking great. The tripod struts look good in place. Shouldn't be long  before it is a Monoplane  8)
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 06:05:02 AM »
This type I have already build, but I have another kit of it in my stash.
Doing such colorful bird is a good idea, so thanks for showing!

What is your plan regarding the wing colors? I can remember some very interesting discussions :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Softscience

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
Wing color? Gosh, I haven't a clue. I'm going to go with an olive green as suggested by Eduard. Maybe ill add brown streaking. I honestly haven't a clue what the wings of these things looked like.

I got pretty ticked me off at the dumb MGs on this kit. The basic parts feel pretty crude, and all the detail parts for them feel like and afterthought. They all fit somewhat ambiguously and the whole construction is so fragile that I'm afraid to look at it. Add to that the fact that all my handling of the model is making the paint look funny, and I'm pretty pissed at the model for being needlessly difficult, but mostly at myself for being unable to produce the neat and crisp work I strive for.

Anyhow, today I decided I can live with the wonky MGs, especially since they'll be mostly covered by the wing.

The wing fits okay, but I had to dig some pretty wide holes for the prismatic cabane struts.to sit right. Maybe I did something wrong but everything was at an angle.  The rear strut snapped (crap brittle Eduard plastic!) But I got it back together. I hope some light sanding will hide the repair. Yes I should have done it before gluing it back on, but stress makes me rush to unmake my unsightly mistakes.

Dang. Looking at this on high resolution makes it look more thought than it does to my eye.

Offline Robin

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 03:15:08 AM »
I feel your pain!

Attaching the MG's isn't something Eduard gives much thought...if any. Decent pins and holes for the struts....same.
Handling amodel becomes increasingly difficult when you progress. Something I struggle with also. :(

But...it still looks good!  :)

Robin

Offline Softscience

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 05:29:06 AM »
I feel your pain!

Attaching the MG's isn't something Eduard gives much thought...if any. Decent pins and holes for the struts....same.
Handling amodel becomes increasingly difficult when you progress. Something I struggle with also. :(

But...it still looks good!  :)

Robin

Thanks, Robin. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I do have the worst super-power though - the skin oils in my hands can melt paint  ??? ::) :-\ :'(

Offline FAf

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 07:25:07 AM »
It's a good looking model you have there! Scuffing the paint is a problem and one possible solution is to put a clear coat on as soon s you can after painting.
/Fredrik

Online RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
Great progress on mounting the wing! It does take some care in handling but once everything is dry the wing should stay attached with no issues!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 01:11:30 PM »
Yup we all have been there and can still be an issue for some of us including myself in that group . Nothing wrong with your build so far , she is looking most excellent so far .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Softscience

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 07:08:26 AM »
Heya guys,

I continue my fight with the Fokker. I have finished the sticks and strings work, for the most part. I'm not 100% happy with how it went, but at this point the best I can hope for is that I learned from my mistakes, and that I'll do better on my next build (I'll probably forget the lessons learned, by then :D ). The next step will be to add decals and the tail. Then I can finish out the last of the control line rigging.

I've been screwing around with the top wing, too. It isn't clear whether or not it had a solid color or some fokker streaking. And if so, then what kind. I did this with some acrylics. I'm not sure if I like it. I might tone it down with a bit more counter-streaking with olive drab, or just overpaint it entirely. Your opinions?

Offline Robin

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
I like the streaking.  :)

I'm not 100% happy with how it went, but at this point the best I can hope for is that I learned from my mistakes, and that I'll do better on my next build (I'll probably forget the lessons learned, by then :D

That's how I feel...probably how we all feel.
Never 100% happy about it, always trying to do better next time...and waiting for the next silly mistake. :)

Robin

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 07:52:13 AM »
Hi!
In my knowledge no streaking camo on the wing of the E.V/D.VIII.
Solid Olive green is the color. Few years ago new researches put light on a two tone camo, you may
find in internet. Brown and green upper, blue and violet under.
I never saw an original photo of your D.VIII, so I can't say who's right or wrong.
If I will build your Fokker, I will follow Eduard instructions, so solid Olive green on wing.
My two cents,
Roberto