Author Topic: WNW Ship's Camel  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Softscience

WNW Ship's Camel
« on: November 14, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
Hello all,

This is my second attempted at a Wingnut Wings kit. The first one ended in frustration and went back in its box to think about the bad things it did! ;D

This time I'm taking a different approach and relying more.on old techniques which may.no longer be en Vogue, but with which I'm more comfortable.

I started by painting up the cylinders of the Bentley BR1 engine. Just Vallejo metallics and some black and brown oils here. Nothing fancy.

Since the silver was out, I also assembled and painted a few of the aluminum thingy-ma-whatsits that go in the cockpit.

Offline AlbertD

Re: WNW Ship's Camel
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
So far so good. I did the same thing with my first Wingnuts kit. I put it back in the box until I had more experience. The second one went much better and now I'm on the third  and it's going even better. What was your first? Mine was the Sopwith Dolphin.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
So far so good. I did the same thing with my first Wingnuts kit. I put it back in the box until I had more experience. The second one went much better and now I'm on the third  and it's going even better. What was your first? Mine was the Sopwith Dolphin.
Mine was an Albatross D.V. It was going fine until it came time to rig. Then it went from fine to popped lines, to cracked b struts and glue smeared paint. A real mess.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
Mine was an Albatross D.V. It was going fine until it came time to rig. Then it went from fine to popped lines, to cracked b struts and glue smeared paint. A real mess.
The biggest lesson I'm learning is to plan ahead at least a couple of steps.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
Hello all,

This is my second attempted at a Wingnut Wings kit. The first one ended in frustration and went back in its box to think about the bad things it did! ;D

This time I'm taking a different approach and relying more.on old techniques which may.no longer be en Vogue, but with which I'm more comfortable.

I started by painting up the cylinders of the Bentley BR1 engine. Just Vallejo metallics and some black and brown oils here. Nothing fancy.

Since the silver was out, I also assembled and painted a few of the aluminum thingy-ma-whatsits that go in the cockpit.

Ye olde techniques are thy best techniques....back to basics, love it.

Glad to see you are back on the horse Soft.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
Nice start on the engine. Looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 03:25:23 AM »
I wholly agree with Ryan Ralph - the old techniques are the best. Well they are at least as far as I am concerned. It is wonderful to see you having another go at a WNW kit because I am sure that this time you will complete it successfully and have a model to be proud of.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
Following along on your adventure  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Softscience

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 06:46:54 AM »
It's been a slow few days at the bench. I managed to paint a simulated wood finish on some of the cockpit framing parts. It doesnt look like much right now, but once the details get painted, it should be more interesting.

I also finished the engine. I'm really not good at painting engines. I don't even know what Im doing wrong, so I'm wide open for advice.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
I'll be honest; I'm not at all happy with how the camel parts are turning out. I don't think I was in the right mindset when I started it. I'm going to strip the paint and do over. Maybe not right away though. My heart isn't really in it for now.

As a matter of fact I've been distracted by something smaller and more manageable. New thread coming right up.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
I'll be honest; I'm not at all happy with how the camel parts are turning out. I don't think I was in the right mindset when I started it. I'm going to strip the paint and do over. Maybe not right away though. My heart isn't really in it for now.

As a matter of fact I've been distracted by something smaller and more manageable. New thread coming right up.
If your not feeling it set it aside until your more into it or you'll get frustrated.

What method did you use for the wood? I did my first interior wood effect with oils over a light tan acrylic and it turned out pretty decent, especially for the interior. I just did the grain with a torn piece of soft foam and brushed it until it looked good. Then I let it dry and sprayed it with some thinned clear yellow and clear orange mix. I used Uschi van der Rosten Blitz Dry for the oils and it was dry in just a few hours.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 11:52:55 PM »
If you are not happy with it, put it aside for now.  There's no deadline to complete it.
I saw your other build thread.  I think it will be a good build experience before coming back to this one.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:04:59 AM »
If you are not happy with it, put it aside for now.  There's no deadline to complete it.
I saw your other build thread.  I think it will be a good build experience before coming back to this one.

Ken is absolutely correct! On the other hand I think the wood interior looks fine  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Softscience

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 02:31:28 PM »
I started stripping the paint today. The nice thing about Model Color is that it comes off if you even look at it funny.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
Take two on the camel's woodwork.

I took the advice of ww1aircraftmodels forum denizen Ryan, and passed on the woodgrain effects. Instead I sprayed some Tamiya dark yellow mixed with a few drops of orange, and then applied a coat of Vallejo clear orange. Obviously I haven't painted most of the details yet, but I'm much happier with how these look now. Thanks, Ryan!

For the blackened metal brackets (japaned or galvanized?) I'll use a mix of Vallejo black and Ammo gunmetal, like I did for the rudder bar details seen below. The engine still looks meh, but it's good enough for now.