Author Topic: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"  (Read 31251 times)

Offline Gisbod

Re: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »
Hello Lance,

Brilliant build... Looks a tricky & complex project despite being a Wingnuts! I'd love to try a Brisfit but am slightly daunted by the time it would take me..

I would love to be retired.. I've just had 3 months off work due sickness (nothing serious) and I've loved every minute (despite having a job I like) there's just not enough time in the day to do everything I want to.. Back to work in a couple of weeks so my Albatros will struggle..

Keep up the posts..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
Really glad to see you back on this one, Lance.  Your gonna love retirement, buddy.  I sure do, although mine is of the semi variety.
Cheers,
Bud

Bud,
The "Semi" part was what drove me into full retirement; always a deal of "a few days here and there, no more then 2 days a week, etc. etc." which quickly turned into full time employment or more! I would have worked until they put me in a wooden box to carry me away were it only casual. No place for old men, the Oil Patch! Hang in there as long as you enjoy it!
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »
Well finally, we get to see some shots of what you've been up to on your Bif, and it's been well worth the wait. She's sitting straight and level to my eye so even with the acrobatics required to fit that lower wing in place, it was all worth the effort.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you employee this jig that looks like it had its genesis during the Spanish Inquisition. If I understand correctly, once you have the model set up in it, the black magic takes over and the top wing magically conforms to it's proper position. It sure sounds simple!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Vladimir Ziska

• Nordland Models
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2013, 03:41:54 AM »
Hi Lance,

Very nice, very detailing, very good work.

Cheers,

Vladimir

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2013, 03:52:29 AM »
   Thanks , everyone for the encouragement and positive feedback.

Guy, it is complicated from the structural perspective; it is absolutely critical to get the lower wing alignment "bang on" as I believe everything else (upper wing, rigging "runs", etc.) grows from there. I believe I should have paid more attention to the Cabane Mounting locations which, knowing WNW engineering, would ensure a perfect  and correct fit. The rear cabanes are difficult to fit, and once I started to "shave" them a bit, they developed some play and off we went!

Des, I agree with the busy part however it feels great to me as I know I'll have the time tomorrow if I don't feel like doing "it" today!

Gary, no great mystery here, successful use of the Jig is the outcome of how you hold your tongue, or whether you bite your upper or lower lip   .................!?! Wait for the "attaching the upper wing" posting, it's going to get really ugly, I just know it!

Chris, regarding the Jig, see above!

I'll try for a few more photos late today................
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:54:29 AM by lcarroll »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2013, 06:09:14 AM »
   Time for another quick update. Before attaching the top panel of the Gunner's cockpit I completed the Sling Seat using the suspension from the Kit PE Fret, a scratch built seat base, and added a padding from the left over parts of the HGW Seatbelt Set.

Next came the cabane strut installation. Spacing and angle being critical I elected to use the upper wing as the alignment template, which necessitated setting up the stagger and the gap between the wings to match the dimensions of the cabanes. In this case the gap would result from the upper wing being at exactly the correct stagger angle and the cabanes being in place in their respective mounting holes. A measurement of the stagger angle, 15 Degrees, was obtained from the 3 View Drawings in Windsock's Data File and then set and locked on the Assembly Jig.

First step was to mount the model in the Jig with the fuselage perfectly centered. A set square verifies the fuselage C/L, the spread having been determined by measurement between the inner wing spars.(On a two bay you use the inner struts for the
 spread, on a single bay the outer spar locations are used)

The cabanes, after some shaving and cleaning up to get them to fit in their respective mounting holes, were dry fitted into place, the upper wing dry fitted to them by first setting the wing snugly to the forward frame, then using the adjustment screws on each rear kingpost of the Jig to set the correct gap for optimum fit and then clamping the upper wing in position. This step took several adjustments and "re-clamps". Once happy with the results ultra thin CA was applied to set the BOTTOM cabane mounts permanently to the fuselage and the upper wing removed (The cabanes will now be permanent and properly positioned for the permanent upper wing addition later)

Next in the sequence is completion of all the little bits before the upper wing gets installed. The Aldis Sight, windshield, and hopefully not permanently missing part A19 (A filler cap) need be installed, yet another check of the pre-rigging for completion, and it will be "show time"; I plan to rig the wings completely before tackling the rest of the machine.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2013, 06:17:13 AM »
Lance, this is fascinating and so informative. I feel I'm learning so much. Thank you for sharing work of such high quality with us.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Looking good so far, Lance. If I read one of your notations, the distance from centreline to inner bay strut is 92mm. Is that correct? If so, that will help when it comes time for me to go through the same exercise. TIA!

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Gary,
   Actually the notation you noticed is left over from a previous Build, the Roden Albatros DIII. On the Bif I measured 147mm (Strut locator hole to the same on the opposite wing.) thus C/L to strut is 73.5mm. According to John's directions you then subtract 2mm from each "1/2" thus I set the inside edges of the main base plates at 71.5mm from the centre line to accommodate the main struts on the outside of the horizontal arms of the Jig.     
   Pilots count on their fingers thus all is written down to ensure a second count is not required!! :P
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Gary,       
   Pilots count on their fingers thus all is written down to ensure a second count is not required!! :P
Cheers,
Lance

So that's what I was hearing them saying lo these many years ago: "eight, nine, ten...another, another, another...!"

Thanks for the measurements. Tomorrow, being a Biff day, I'll set up the jig as well as doing a bit more to get reacquainted. Lots done today on the Stuart (dontcha just love long weekends?), but it was mainly "easy stuff." The harder parts come along in about a week, when I dive into all those resin bits and bobs!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
Looking good Lance! I'm sure that top wing will be perfect when you get it mounted. I'm already soooo jealous.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »
She's coming along beautifully, Lance.  The jig seems to be working out great for you.  Really looking forward to the next update.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline mgunns

« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2013, 03:22:15 AM »
Hello Lance:

Just doing a little catch up here.  Nice work to date and nice explanation of the jig.  This kit certainly poses some challenges and you seem to be well armed to face them.  Looking forward to seeing how you wrap this up.  I have been on a modeling hiatis for about three months and hope to get back to the bench soon.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2013, 03:29:15 AM »
Hello, Lance -

Just catching up with your wonderful build - really coming along a treat.  Amazing what some of you boys are able to achieve on your builds.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Zabu

« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2013, 05:55:32 AM »
How was i skipping this?  >:(

What an amazing job you're doing here.

Love the painting and the detail in that beauty. Great jig too!

Cheers