Author Topic: Little Murders: a 1971 Movie vs My Modeling  (Read 2815 times)

Offline RAGIII

Little Murders: a 1971 Movie vs My Modeling
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:13:43 AM »
After attending the IPMS Nationals in Chattanooga I have been in a state of Depression concerning My builds. Looking at the quality I realized that over the years I have accepted a lower standard than what I did in the late 80s when I was competing. My participation and posting of builds kind of reminds Me of an obscure 1971 Movie called "Little Murders" starring Elliot Gould. He was a photographer whos photos were praised no matter how bad or out of focus. His thought was that they were "Dog Crap". So he began to take photos of the aforementioned and they were successful!  My point here is that I am moving away from posting build logs that really don't offer any quality. I am also moving out of WW1 for a bit of a change. I will of course, continue to watch and comment on all of the builds here.
RAGIII

PS: Not looking for a bunch of your stuff is great comments, just facing My own realizations.
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

Re: Little Murders: a 1971 Movie vs My Modeling
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
Besides of the fact that you are one of the friendliest and most encouraging members of this all around friendly forum I can honestly say that I do like your models and your build logs. I learned and am still learning much from you. Regretting your decision I also can completely understand your need to build something completely different. (I must admit that some Russian WW2 tanks, some WW2 cars and an I-16 found their way on my bench as I also need a brake from WWI at the moment.)
I hope the break you need is not too long!
All the best
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Rick,
    A change in pace (read subjects) is a healthy way to kick start your "Modelling Mojo". I find like you and Andreas that I need a change occasionally and also that it tends to refresh my interest and energy for my primary pursuit, WW.I.  Over a year ago I got all fired up about the Viking voyages to North America, re-read a bunch of books I had on the subject and bought several more. That was followed by a search for and purchase of a Heller set of two Viking Boats which I plan to build this winter ......... now that's a change in subjects! Try something different that you did in the past and enjoyed, and I'll bet you're back in a surprisingly short time!
   Good luck with the change and like Andreas said, come back soon!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Robin

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
I sat here for an hour....typing a very long story, but decided to keep it short. ;D

Rick, I highly appreciate and admire your builds, your skills and knowledge.
Above all...I appreciate your advise, support and kindness.

You'll find your building mojo again...whatever subject, whatever era.

All the best,

Robin :)

Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:00:22 AM »
Went through the same thing a few years back so I got back into WW 2 subjects to break it up and I find I enjoy my subjects more and the building when I change it up .

Glad that you are still going to be here supporting us with your knowledge and kindness and you can always share in the off topic builds , you are one hell of a modeller ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
Rick

As one whose own share of health issues has caused me to re-evaluate my own building skills and abilities I urge you to keep at it, persevere and stay connected to our wonderful Forum. I know my abilities fall well short of what I could achieve even 10 years ago but I push myself to keep going, find ways to try and recover those skills and above all, continue to love making models! I'm barely out of hospital after hip replacement surgery and getting home to the model bench ASAP was better than medicine for my recovery!

Build logs can be a bit demanding and are not everyone's forte so rather than feel a duty to post a log of each build, just post photos of your selected in progress and completed projects. Don't abandon WW1  subjects but maybe vary them with other themes. I'm having real issues with delicate rigging now so I'm on a bit of a monoplane kick!

There are some new Forum boards coming soon which I hope will broaden the interest in this site. One, which I'm sorting now, will be a special Nostalgia modelling board where members can celebrate the classic kits of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. I'm hoping this board will allow us to recapture the real joy of modelling that got us all into this hobby all those years ago and we'll be inviting members to share photos of their early builds and current nostalgia builds - of all modelling subjects, not just WW1.

It's our fondest wish that the Forum continues to evolve and deliver the maximum model hobby fun to our global WW1 hobby family. New boards, more competitions, nostalgia builds, surprise membership prizes, we're just getting started here and the best is yet to come!

warmest regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
Hello, Rick,
that's exactly the beauty of a hobby, you can just take a break and do something completely different. Nothing depends on it, you don't earn money with it and you don't have to make a career.
 Your building reports were always very interesting and instructive, your models a feast for the eyes.
But as you already say, you need a change. For my part, I enjoy building something from a completely different, completely meaningless area, namely Gundams. These things are so easy to build that I can still do it at the age of 95.
But I'm certainly looking forward to hearing from you again.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Edo

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 03:01:25 PM »
hey Rick!
i completely understand your feelings.... but fear not: you are a talented modeller and any subject you decide to tackle will tourn into a stunner!
If you decide to post your “different” subjects somwhere else, please let us know: we’ll follow you to admire your works and learn from you as we all have done here for ww1 subject.
all the best!
ciao
edo

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 04:05:37 PM »
Hi Rick,

Just want to echo the above comments. You’re a mainstay of the forum!

I totally get the frustration though. I feel it in every build, at the end of which I would quite happily chuck all mine in the bin. They’re just never good enough. But that said, I always enjoy the process and after a day or two I’m eyeing my next build!

Definitely helps to take a break or build something random for a change. I sometimes take solace in Tamiya’s lovely little 1/48 armour range. Super kits, super easy builds and very cathartic.

Don’t lose heart! I always enjoy your builds very much.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »
Ps top tip- never take macro pictures of your model. It’s a sure way to get fed up with a build that you were previously happy with!  :P

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »
I am also moving out of WW1 for a bit of a change. I will of course, continue to watch and comment on all of the builds here.
RAGIII

You may have noticed I have popped up here again recently having been away for a while. This is because I have two different modelling interests, and when I find myself getting too obsessed/stuck/fed-up with one I switch to the other

What I didn't do last time was try to keep contact with the other interest when I switched. This time I'm trying to model in one while reading about the other. I switched before I got too disillusioned this time so I stand a chance of getting this to work

So, Rick - what you are doing works for me. Go and have fun - this is supposed to be a hobby

Oh, and stay away from modelling competitions. My impression is you have to be following the latest set of painting techniques to do well, I'm not convinced by the forumulaic pre-shading/shading/washing/highlighting/chipping/whatever seen on many entries. Photos of real aeroplanes rarely look like the models. I think people have begun making models of models

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Robin

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
Oh, and stay away from modelling competitions. My impression is you have to be following the latest set of painting techniques to do well, I'm not convinced by the forumulaic pre-shading/shading/washing/highlighting/chipping/whatever seen on many entries. Photos of real aeroplanes rarely look like the models. I think people have begun making models of models

This!
I find many "state of the art" models nowadays almost cartoonish. A display of techniques, but moving away from reality.

This also...
Ps top tip- never take macro pictures of your model. It’s a sure way to get fed up with a build that you were previously happy with!  :P

And above all...this!  :)
this is supposed to be a hobby

I had a blast with this when plastic got to me....
https://modelshipworld.com/topic/13968-greek-bireme-by-robin-lous-dusek-scale-172-first-wooden-ship-build-finished/

Robin  :)

Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »
Break time, Rick. 

"Hold on loosely, but never let go" -38 Special

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 02:48:06 AM »
Rick you are one of the mainstays of this site and supportive of all. I remember when I first posted photos of my efforts (and considered them to be crap), you were one of those who recognised that I was trying to do something different and acknowledged the fact. It helped me to gain confidence to continue modelling and posting. As for competitions I agree with all that has been written above: fashion rules. What is "in" gets the awards regardless of the skill or time taken. I do not enter many because my models are scratchbuilds and how do you compare a scratch build with a kit? Chalk and cheese. I have also noticed that there is frequently a who-knows-who element involved: so that the "best" models are not always the winners.

Equally I understand your loss of confidence and feeling that your models are somehow not as good as they used to be. Are you sure? Take careful note of Gary's comment - he is not alone with those feelings. I also think that a change of subject is as good as a rest and I sincerely hope that you will continue to delight us with some of your builds of other subjects. You are an excellent modeller - do not let anyone tell you or allow yourself to believe otherwise. Please do continue to visit and post pictures/comments - they are greatly valued by all of us.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 04:00:57 AM »
Rick, some thoughts from my side.

I hope you do not see posting a build log here as some kind of "competition".
A build log can also create some pressure, if you start to rush things "I must get ready to post this". So it is may be good to do a step back, think about a result and if you not happy with it, how to improve and take the time.

If you have a lot of time for modeling for whatever reason (e.g. retirement) it can be boring in long term. If you can spend a lot of hours daily for a specific thing, it is nice at the beginning, but I believe it can create some burnout, like working 12 or more hours everyday in a job.

So I hope you will find the right balance, have fun with something different and come back soon to WWI  :)

Cheers,
Frank