Author Topic: Italien Nie. 17 CSM 1:32  (Read 12826 times)

Offline Jorgo

Re: Italien Nie. 17 CSM 1:32
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 04:12:37 AM »
Lady and Gentlemen, many many thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jörg

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 05:56:32 AM »
Fantastic build Jörg, it is going to be a stunner!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 11:54:26 PM »
Hi Jorgo!
As italian, I'm so happy to see someone modelling subjects of my country.
Fantastic starting, your painting job is high level.
I saw the instructions of the kit, there are some mistakes. First of all, NO ONE of our airplanes had central section of underwings painted white, this is a myth hard to die.
This was a Nieuport 17 sent to us from France, our colors were added over the original french ones, so no serial on the green and red section under the wings. Of course, they were covered by the green and red. The french roundel was not "still visible" under the aluminium cover over the wing, another myth hard to die. There are many photos of this Ni.17 in the web, why they say that? This Nieuport, again, arrived in Italy with Vickers mounted. There are photos of this one with all three configurations: with the Vickers, with Vickers and Lewis toghether and with Lewis alone. You may choose as you like.
Hope useful!
Roberto 

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 05:43:26 AM »
Hi Friends, many thanks for your comments!

Hi Jorgo!
As italian, I'm so happy to see someone modelling subjects of my country.
Fantastic starting, your painting job is high level.
I saw the instructions of the kit, there are some mistakes. First of all, NO ONE of our airplanes had central section of underwings painted white, this is a myth hard to die.
This was a Nieuport 17 sent to us from France, our colors were added over the original french ones, so no serial on the green and red section under the wings. Of course, they were covered by the green and red. The french roundel was not "still visible" under the aluminium cover over the wing, another myth hard to die. There are many photos of this Ni.17 in the web, why they say that? This Nieuport, again, arrived in Italy with Vickers mounted. There are photos of this one with all three configurations: with the Vickers, with Vickers and Lewis toghether and with Lewis alone. You may choose as you like.
Hope useful!
Roberto 

Roberto, thank you for your information, indeed very useful! That had been exactly my question: were central sections of the undersides of the wings painted white or Aluminium?

In the meantime only little progress,
openings in the cowl drilled to scale thickness

testfit of cowl and engine

here streched clear sprue for the petrol contro
l

Gaspatch turnbuckles 1:48 scale, otherwise you don´t need any aftermarket things on this outstanding kit

rear wall

Cheers,
Jörg

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 05:49:37 AM »

Looks better... ;)

Offline Robin

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 06:28:37 AM »
Nice! a joy to follow this.  :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 08:04:24 AM »
 :) :) :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
Great! Love the shading on all painted parts!

Offline Edgar

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Greetings guys,
Great subject and a great modelling for sure)
just to answer some questions
1. We all remember that first Nieuport 17 Italy got from France with french painted roundels, I do not know about you, but I can see it there, so I would not claim that it is 100% myth, sure for someone it may be faded more, or less, but you can see it, right?

2. As for the white central section
Comando Supremo Ufficio Servizi Aeronautici on 28 june 1915 issued a new regulation regarding National insignia.
This regulation abolishes the identification markings for aeroplanes and seaplanes at war, consisting of a stripe and circle painted in black on the wing undersurfaces
2. Recognition of national aeroplanes and seaplanes will be instead achieved by:
a. painting in green the wing undersurface to the right of the pilot.
b. painting in red the wing undersurface to the left of the pilot.
c. painting in white the central part of the aircraft
d. reproduction of the national flag on the aircraft`s vertical tail

that is hard to see, but on this earlier Italian Nieuport you can see how bright the central section is, so why there is absolutely no chances that this area was painted white? I may agree that silver would also look bright like white and maybe it was also done that way

Offline Edgar

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
Hi Jorg
please do check this line, it should not visible
it is marks left from the slider in the mould

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »
Hi Edgar, thank you for your advice and support!
The mark on the cowl will be soon filled and sanded ( thought that was part  of the real thing). And I agree with you, the french roundel on the upper wing is „still visible“. IMHO on a model   it looks even better when you try to represent an overpainted or oversprayed roundel.

Thank you once again for your help, Edgar!

Cheers,
Jörg
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:58:30 AM by Jorgo »

Offline Gene K

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 11:30:48 PM »
Yet another great build and thread on this forum!!!

"Good stuff", Edgar.

Gene K

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 11:49:18 PM »
Your painting and details are Fabulous! Really looking great!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 05:08:59 AM »
Hi!
This reply is for Edgar, I think the owner of Copper State Models.
The photo that you posted of Baracca's mount have a "line" that divided the portion of the main wing repainted to the original one. The same "line" you may see in the photo of Ruffo's mount posted by myself. Hope you may see. Under the new aluminium dope the "shadow" of the roundel is still visible, but no traces of the colors. I attach here a better photo to show it. The question is: if I want to cancel french roundel why I left it visible again? When we received Ni.24 and 27 from France simply we repainted blue centers with green, why they don't choose same way?
About white central section: in the latest years some good books about our Aces and Aviation came out, written by italian historians more famous and documented as myself. No mention and no traces of the white central section in NONE of these books. No traces also on every relics arrived safe to our days, as the two Ansaldo A.1s held in Trento and Bergamo of Palli and Locatelli. You are right about "Comando Supremo Ufficio Servizi Aeronautici on 28 june 1915 issued a new regulation regarding National insignia" etc. (I have a copy of it) but no one followed this orders about white. Again, color drawings edited by Comando Supremo Ufficio Servizi Aeronautici shows green and red sections more wider than in reality. My thinking is that every weight added with overpainting in those early days were dangerous for the life of pilots, so no white section were added. The photo that you posted shows a Ni.11 of Macchi production. In that production, serials in the "1000" range were painted in a real "white" Clear Doped Linen, they changed only for the uppersurfaces in the 2000/3000 serials with a "light khaki" Clear Doped Linen, keeping the undersurfaces with the "white version", as the one in your photo.
I reviewed your sets of decals about our Ni.17 in an italian modelling Forum where I am the Coordinator of the WWI SIG, I wrote that finally we have a complete and decent sets of decals for our planes, because this is the truth. Unlucky, it's first time that I see instruction. On the other side, in Italy we have many historians that can help every producer of our subject (we are happy to do this and for free!) because our aviation in WWI is considered as "second line" also by italian kit makers.
I see now: set 32-007, the ace is Giovanni SAbelli; set 32-006, the pilot is Elia Liut.
Finally, I really recommended the sets of decals made by CSM about our Ni.17.

Back to the WIP, Jorgo you are making a little gem.
Greetings,
Roberto 

Offline Edgar

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
Greetings Roberto
That is a great photo you have published, thank you
As for historians, I wish we were in contact with you, you pointed a rather important thing with the white colour, and it may be that you are very correct in your thoughts.
I worked with Luigino regarding most of the photos for top known aces that we picked, but we never spoked about white colour
what was your website address with Italian topics?