Author Topic: My Hangar To Date  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: My Hangar To Date
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 01:50:28 AM »
Bud and co stated that they followed your builds - do you have a link? Especially for the Dr.1?

I posted build logs for all of them on Great War Aviation. I would think that they're still there, but I can't say for sure.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 02:07:54 AM »
LOL Busted again Bud. But not to escape the heat and the humidity way down in the Deep South.My wife and I will be in Kenora,Ont. in June for family business. I certainly would rather drag Chris along to any contest available while in the area ...

I just discovered that IPMS Edmonton is running a show in Edmonton, Alberta on June 2, 2012, at the Alberta Aviation Museum. That's sort of in the area of Kenora  ;D  and sounds like it would be more enjoyable than what you've alluded to above. You still couldn't drag me there though!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »
All good work on display here -

I know what you mean about the Roden Pfalz - it nearly never got built.  I could not get the fuselage halves to close up around the engine area - it just did not fit.   I got so frustrated and angry at one point that I got close to literally hurling the model at the wall!  Only words of encouragement from my wife kept me going.
In the end, I ended up cutting (hacking) away a lot of the lower engine formers to get a half reasonable fit.   After this though, the rest of the kit flew together really well.

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Galloway

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 04:32:07 AM »
Chris,

They are very beautiful builds!  :)

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »
LOL Busted again Bud. But not to escape the heat and the humidity way down in the Deep South.My wife and I will be in Kenora,Ont. in June for family business. I certainly would rather drag Chris along to any contest available while in the area ...

I just discovered that IPMS Edmonton is running a show in Edmonton, Alberta on June 2, 2012, at the Alberta Aviation Museum. That's sort of in the area of Kenora  ;D  and sounds like it would be more enjoyable than what you've alluded to above. You still couldn't drag me there though!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,
LOL man that's across neary all the way across the Canada from Kenora. Umm we can split the cost for the gas? Road Trip!
 Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online Whiteknuckles

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
....I posted build logs for all of them on Great War Aviation. I would think that they're still there, but I can't say for sure...

Thanks Chris I'll have a gander later

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
Hi, Chris,

Belated congratulations on a very fine stable of mounts. Believe it or not, I actually started the WNW SE yesterday, just to say that I really DID start, but really tiny baby steps only. However, from the look of your builds, you don't need any help when it comes to the WNW SE!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »
Hi, Chris,

Belated congratulations on a very fine stable of mounts. Believe it or not, I actually started the WNW SE yesterday, just to say that I really DID start, but really tiny baby steps only. However, from the look of your builds, you don't need any help when it comes to the WNW SE!  ;)

Ah, you're too kind! Refresh my memory here Trackpad. Which of Rowan's markings are you using for your S.E.5a? I'll use the other Canadian set for mine.

Be sure to post some in-progress images!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »
Nice work, old Humbrol paints do spray well.

Regards :)

They do indeed, but I guess I'm too set in my ways with using Tamiya's quick drying and easy clean-up paint. If Humbrol would switch from those tinlets to a bottle, I might be swayed, but I know that's not about to happen. I still use Humbrol for my washes though.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:17 AM »
................ I still use Humbrol for my washes though.

Cheers,

Chris

Noted!

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

modelmaker

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Wow Nice work!! Very colourful and clean Builds well done Chris.

Sean

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
Thanks Uncle Tony.

As for my turnbuckles, I use 0.5 mm brass tubing and Maxima Chameleon 2lb test monofilament. I picked up this technique from Des' website. The illustration I made below shows two different methods of attaching the turnbuckles to the wing, or fuselage for that matter.

Up until my Dr.I build, I was attaching my turnbuckles as per the illustration on the right side, using a long and short piece of tubing and gluing the tail of the eyelet in the wing. On my Dr.I, I used the technique as illustrated on the left side. Albatros1234 suggested it to me and it offers two advantages.

In the first place, it eliminates the short piece of tubing. Secondly, by connecting to an eyelet, the turnbuckle is free to rotate to line up perfectly with the rigging, as opposed to having to bend the tail of the eyelet to make the turnbuckle line up. Sometimes I had difficulty getting the turnbuckle to line up perfectly as I didn't get the eyelet bent at the correct angle. Albatros1234's method is virtually fool proof.

I can say that as it worked for me!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
As for my turnbuckles, I use 0.5 mm brass tubing and Maxima Chameleon 2lb test monofilament. I picked up this technique from Des' website. The illustration I made below shows two different methods of attaching the turnbuckles to the wing, or fuselage for that matter.

Up until my Dr.I build, I was attaching my turnbuckles as per the illustration on the right side, using a long and short piece of tubing and gluing the tail of the eyelet in the wing. On my Dr.I, I used the technique as illustrated on the left side. Albatros1234 suggested it to me and it offers two advantages.

In the first place, it eliminates the short piece of tubing. Secondly, by connecting to an eyelet, the turnbuckle is free to rotate to line up perfectly with the rigging, as opposed to having to bend the tail of the eyelet to make the turnbuckle line up. Sometimes I had difficulty getting the turnbuckle to line up perfectly as I didn't get the eyelet bent at the correct angle. Albatros1234's method is virtually fool proof.

I can say that as it worked for me!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

A suggestion Chris and that is to post this in the Hints and Tips section. It's a real keeper IMO. Maybe Des would make it a stickie.
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »
Interesting looking Dr.I, I'd not seen the olive/brown combination before, though I had read about it. A different effect, to be sure. I've got the Encore boxing of this kit in the stash (picked up at a great price), and I think I'll go with olive streaking on that one when the time comes.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 07:36:44 AM »
Great HUGE diagram for my old eyes. Thanx!!!

Steve