Author Topic: Polish Oeffag Albatros color  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Rob Hart

Polish Oeffag Albatros color
« on: June 20, 2019, 01:08:52 AM »
Does anyone know of a good match or mix with available models paints of the dark green on Polish Oeffag Albies? I found a recommendation of Humbrol WWII RAF dark green on another site.

Offline AndRoby67

Re: Polish Oeffag Albatros color
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:34:03 AM »
Hi!
I don't think there was only ONE green for the Polish Albies, so my suggestion is to don't became crazy on that.
If I will built one, my first choice will be Humbrol 30, that I think it's like RAF WW2 camo green but also it's like Albatros Dark Green for the camo on wings.
Hope useful!
Roberto

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I will give your recommendation serious consideration.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
I suppose you speak of 7th Kościuszko Squadron Oeffags. They came from Austria and most probably were already painted there. So one can use AH dark green used for leaf pattern. You may wish to refer to Methuen colours mentioned in depiction of AH camo.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
More good information. Thanks.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »
Hi!
I don't want to go "against" Przemol, but the Polish had its dark green. They used it on Balilla's produced in Poland.
The Green of the Austrian Leaf pattern was a camo color, they never used it alone to paint entire airframes before delivering, as the D.III of the Kosciuzko Squadron were. In normal way, the Oeffag D.III's were delivered in standard natural colors, wood and Clear Doped Linen. Camos were applied later. Before the end of the war they started to deliver D.III's with typical sworl camo, printed on linen as the famous german lozenge printed camo. Again, some of them were given to Polish. One of the most famous of them was No. 5 of american pilot Merian Cooper inside Kosciuzko Squadron.
Bye!
Roberto

Offline arek

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 05:54:51 AM »
You are right but slightly  not ;)
Balilla's in Poland were build, you are absolutely right, but 1st one have been deliverd in  July 1921, two years after introduction of Oeffags to Polish service. If anyone used green it was a one that was on hand. So  anyone can choose any green forom the period and there  are no proof if it's right or wrong that was a war with a big  lack of supplies. Anything that was handy goes to the front to fight against bolshevicks.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 08:16:06 PM »
Hi!
I totally agree with you Arek, in my first intervention in this thread I suggested to use Humbrol 30 as a "possible shade".
Yes, Balillas built in Poland were delivered in 1921, before them Poland received examples from Italy.
Now, looking at the famous lineup photos of Kosciuzko Squadron on snowy airfield, we know that No.1 was green, No.2 was natural wood clear varnished, No.3 was green again etc. I may imagine (hope?) that the dark green choosed to paint the green ones was the same for all. Yes, it was the dark green they have in hand (maybe the one used for armored cars as Ford Tfc?).
I don't think that we can state about the perfect shade of this green, maybe some polish historian or researcher can?
Cheers,
Roberto