Author Topic: Those old retro kits  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Those old retro kits
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
As much as I like the new kits By WNW , Eduard , Tamiya , Hasegawa , Great Wall Hobby , Copper States Models . I have a fare amount of these newly tooled wonders of joy in the stash . I also have a fare amount of those retro kits in the stash as well .

So my question is , How many of you guys still build the older kits even though there are better on the market ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rob Hart

Re: Those old retro kits
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »
I'm only interested in building the best kit of a given subject in my preferred scale. I have no interest in building old kits for old times sake.

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »
Is there a list? Sounds interesting for me as 1/48 only builder ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:50:09 PM »
I'm a fan of retro kits, some were years ahead of their time ( the Inpact range of the 50s for example, some never bettered). Others like the Aurora WW1 line take me back to a happy model time before the obsession with 'scale accuracy' bedevilled the hobby worldwide. The Merit ( now Smer) Avro 504K is still quite buildable.

In other cases though e.g. the early Eduard Siemens Schuckert D.III, the newer tool kit is light years better and the old kit is rightly consigned to the nostalgia bin.

Every so often I like to unwind with a retro kit, as a nice reminder of why we fell in love with this hobby.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »
I don't have yet a Taube, but hope for the new resin one from wmm.at Some time ago I was able to hold some parts in my hands - very impressive, but not yet complete.
There are many nice kits from Eduard, Flashback, Special Hobby out there, e.g. another Sopwith Pup would be nice.
I don't know, where your kits are located - a shipping to Germany is may be a cost factor.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:21:45 AM »
    I enjoy a break in the routine by tackling an old and relatively simple Kit on occasion. I've recently started picking up the odd "between the wars" 20's and 30's classic aircraft in my preferred scale of 1:32, those "Yellow Wings are hard to resist and some of the classics such as Williams Brothers, a few early Monograms and Hasegawa's short line of the F4B-4, P-12, and P-26 build into very nice Kits with a little extra effort. I may try a Silver Wings Kit as my first all resin project soon, it's a whole new model world!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 03:04:24 AM »
I still have a few 1/48th between the wars kits from Airfix, Lindberg, and Pyro. They are most likely Never to be built  8) . On the other hand I also have some old 1/32nd kits like the Swallow Zero and Hasegawa Me 262 that I "Might" get to someday for fun.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »
i'm subject-driven so if the best shape is found in a retro kit i'm in. when i was a kid i was obsessed with Monogram 1/48 stuff, now i only do 1/32 and 1/72, so no interest.

however, one of my obsessions is Spitfires, and the old Airfix with raised panel lines has the best shape of any Mk.Ia. so i pick 'em off in auctions on the cheap and re-scribe.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 01:23:39 AM »
I recently made the 1957 1/28 Revell Dr.1 - it was surprisingly lovely.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8701.msg159727#msg159727

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941