Author Topic: Koster's SSW D.III 1/48  (Read 25035 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Koster's SSW D.III 1/48
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
This will be one of my summer undertakings . Will be using the kits main parts and left over PE from a Eduards builds and scratchbuilding .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline dtomko

Re: Koster's SSW D.III 1/48
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
Looking forward to this, Terri.  Those Koster kits still hold up.

Drew

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
Excellent choice, T!  I agree with Drew.  Those Koster kits are the best vacs ever. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
Thanks Drew and Bud . Last vac I did was the FE-8 and I ended up only using two of the kit parts ...this might turn out the same  :o

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Having a busy weekend I managed to work in some bench time . All the parts have been cut out and sanded . Still have some work to do on the trail edges on getting them thinner . Cockpit pit still needs to be opened up and same with the cowl . This I will do later once must of the test fitting is over with the main parts . It will give the parts more ridge when sanding .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
I really like your start on this kit. I have a Hannover Cl. III from Koster and it looks amazing for a vacu kit. But nevertheless it’s a brave decision to go with a vacu instead of the eduard injection moulded kit of the SSW D III. i am keen on following your progress.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
Following this with much interest Terri. Vac form kits scare me so I'm in awe of those who can tame the beasts. The last vac I did was a 1/72 Pfalz D.III and the memory has almost faded thankfully :)

Looking forward to seeing the gem I know you will produce from this kit.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:29:56 PM »
I really like your start on this kit. I have a Hannover Cl. III from Koster and it looks amazing for a vacu kit. But nevertheless it’s a brave decision to go with a vacu instead of the eduard injection moulded kit of the SSW D III. i am keen on following your progress.
Andreas

Hi Andreas , I still have another one of these Koster kits . SSW D-4 and it has resin wings so will be less sanding on that one . Still have Eduards first release from 95 , Flashbacks take on the subject and Eduards new tooled in the stash .

So far it seems to be going well so far for me ( knocks on wood ) so I hope not to let anyone down .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
Following this with much interest Terri. Vac form kits scare me so I'm in awe of those who can tame the beasts. The last vac I did was a 1/72 Pfalz D.III and the memory has almost faded thankfully :)

Looking forward to seeing the gem I know you will produce from this kit.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Well Dave , I know how you feel . My first try was a huge disater and didn't even get finished . Ended up in the trash it did .
But it wasn't my last and I do enjoy them from time to time . Any questions just ask and i will do my best to answer them .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »
Wow!! What we now consider "retro modelling" You could always see his "master model for Monogram" style in all his kits. They were the best of the best in 1/48. I still have the DVIII even though it has been surpassed as far as build-ability is concerned but it's just a nice kit. Watching this one!!

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »
I am a bit late to the party but will be following along now! I once had all of the Koster WW1 vacs. Top of the line vacs for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
Thanks Steve and Rick . Steve , I have that kit as well and it will be built  ;) Just something about this old kits .

Work will continue this weekend . After going over the Eduard PE parts from their first release . Cockpit parts will not fit . To small . So I will follow the kit instructions some what ...Photo's coming to a blog near you ... :P

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »
Sanding , more sanding and even more sanding the wings and glued up and the first round on sanding is done . Some edges need a bit of touch up then I can prep them for decals . Cowl is ready to go and the rest of the cut outs are done on the fuselage halves . I filled in the hand holds and this will be repositioned . and add some panel lines . Also got the cockpit formers   
cut out of 0.10mm plastic card and ready to go .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 10:41:17 PM »
 :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch