Author Topic: COMPLETED - "Il Primo Combattente" (The First Fighter) - 1/48 Caproni Ca.20  (Read 12397 times)

Offline gbrivio

Re: "Il Primo Combattente" (The First Fighter) - 1/48 Caproni Ca.20
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
... perhaps I should call this one "Il Primo Caccia"? ...

BC

It's up to you: being the title of your topic any description fits, but combattente suggests it was operative as a warplane, while caccia, being technical rather then poetic in this case, states the purpose of the project and identifies this as the first of its kind.
But let me congratulate for your approach to Italian, I'm always embarrassed while writing English as I'm not really current (specially speaking) and my usual redings are technical, and so limited in both grammatics and aesthetic, not to mantion local or "living" words and phrases not included in dictionaries.
Best wishes on your build, I'msure will be enjoyable and will make a great model.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »
As Italian like Giuseppe, I want to quote 100% his topic. Many times in english books I've noted some errors in using our language to describe our pilots, airfields etc.
Yes, "Il Primo Caccia" sounds better and more correct. But it's up to you!
On the other side, I'm a self-made man as learning english, I ever study french in schools and I know that sometimes I made mistakes in my posts.
So, reading Windsock International, Cross & Cockades and Over the Front during the years was like receiving lessons, specially in technical field.
Cheers,
Roberto

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
Thanks Roberto and Giuseppe - I really appreciate your help! I want to get the wording correct as I will likely put the model on a base with a small plaque - I know how bad it can be to get it wrong!

Progress is painfully slow. I've been spending most of the effort at the moment on dealing with the rough exterior surfaces. The fuselage wasn;t too bad, but there were quite a few air bubbles and some roughness around the ribbed areas that I needed to smooth out without ruining the fabric effect (which was a bit tricky...). It's ok under a coat of primer (there is more to clean up but I will do this once the fuselage halves are together).

The interior is not so great - lots of air bubbles; I've cleaned it up as best I can, but I don't really want to completely rebuild the sidewalls. These should be good enough under a coat of paint, fingers crossed.

The wings, however, were far worse. Very uneven surface detail, poor attempts at ribs, and LOTS of air bubbles and rough patches. I guess that's what you get for a limited run resin kit. I contemplated scratch-building the wings, but I persevered with the kit wings. They are largely smooth now, but with subtle hints of the ribs (which will look good fine  a coat of paint). On the positive, they are straight and have very thin trailing edges. I'll take the good with the bad :)

Now i'm at the point of putting some paint on the interior.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 07:40:00 PM »
Seems to be a challenging kit but I am sure you will persevere!
AGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 03:30:13 AM »
Brad, very intresting model, indeed "il primo caccia" would be more correct, combattente is fighter as a person "caccia" is the plane... Italian is a very complex language!!!

Beautiful work so far on an awkward kit!

Antonio

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
Looking good Brad

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline aliluke

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
Fascinating project Brad and a very cool plane the existence of which I knew nothing about until now but I know of Caproni mostly for the wild nine winged Transaereo - the strangest seaplane (or plane for that matter) of all time??? And they seem to have started with just one wing... ::) when everyone else thought two was the minimum required for flight.

I look forward to your progress with interest.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »
Nice start to a tough one

Steve

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 07:58:46 AM »
Hi Brad,
really nice start! Over a "bubbles" kit. For the interiors, you can also search in internet about the Ca.18 owned by "Volandia" museum here in Italy (next to Malpensa airport, same site were Gianni Caproni started his fantastic history). Remember that Ca.18 and Ca.20 have not ailerons, but they are managed by wingwarping method.
Write to me at [email protected] and I will send you some photos.
Cheers!
Roberto

Offline ermeio

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Great subject, Brad
I’ve built one from scratch before one was available in resin (you can see it in my avatar)
I will follow with interest

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »
Some slow progress... cockpit is now done. I scratchbuilt a fuel tank as well. The stringer detail is part of the kit and is quite poorly cast, so don't look too close...

Here's the gun, pieced together from the spares box, plastic rod, foil and various bits of random etch.

Here's an engine - it's not detailed, bit with the spinner on, very little will be seen. This should be enough to give the impression of an engine if anyone tries to look very hard through the cowling vents...

The fuselage is also now together - the fit was quite poor, so it needed LOTS of filler, but the hard work is now done....

It's going to be tight to meet the group build deadline, but I'll come close....!

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
Great progress Brad. The interior looks terrific as does the Machine Gun. The engine will certainly fit the role as intended. Looking excellent all buttoned up!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 09:22:05 PM »
Very nice interior, Brad.  Your scratchbuilding really improves this model immensely.

Bughunter

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 06:57:24 AM »
Great looking interior! I hope, you will manage it in time 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 10:50:07 AM »
Excellent job on the details , like the map case  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .