Author Topic: COMPLETED - "Il Primo Combattente" (The First Fighter) - 1/48 Caproni Ca.20  (Read 12635 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Hi all - up front, please pardon my terrible Italian (despite my Italian heritage I don't know the language)...! I need a quick build to try and finish more than one model for the group build, so with only 6-7 weeks left, I searched through the stash for something relatively quick (i.e. not complex) and I dug this one out:

I think it probably fits in with Des' love of the obscure  :)

The Caproni Ca.20 is considered the first true fighter plane, and was (apparently) the first to mount a machine gun (in this case a Lewis gun) over the propeller arc, aligned with the line of flight (making shooting relatively easy). There was only one prototype, flown in 1914. It was evaluated and apparently performed quite well, being faster than contemporary German and Austrian designs. The aircraft was not put into production by the Italian military, as they wanted Caproni to focus on bombers rather than fighters - imagine what could have been if it had gone into production...

The prototype has famously survived in its original condition and resides in the Seattle Museum of Flight, after the Caproni family kept the aircraft stored away safely in a dry environment for 85 years - http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/caproni-ca20

There are some interesting things to note when viewing contemporary photographs versus the preserved prototype - the aircraft was clearly modified at some point. The cheek panels were removed at some stage, and ailerons added. The spinner also looks to have had some fairings added over the propeller blades. The kit looks to represent the earlier version of the aircraft, with metal cheek panels, no ailerons, and no fairings over the propeller blades. I intend to model this earlier aircraft (as Spin Models have done).

This kit is by Spin Models and is limited run. There is lots of flash and clean up needed, as well as quite a few bubbles to deal with all over the air-frame. Nothing too difficult for someone who has a couple of limited run resin kits under their belt. That being said, there is some nice finesse in the representation of the fabric and cowling louvres.

So far progress has been limited to cleaning up of the major air frame components, and starting on the cockpit. The kit comes with some nice rib detail on the interior (sadly marred by lots of bubbles), but the rest of the details are relatively sparse. There are no photos of the general interior arrangement that I could find, so I made up some structure to supplement that in the kit. I also borrowed a CMK resin wicker chair. There's a decent opening behind the seat which i'll fill with structure and bracing wires.

The kit instrument panel looks like a flat board with two lewis gun drums mounted on it; I think that this is probably speculative. The one photograph of the instrument panel shows some instruments, a compass, and a map board (probably of the later machine, but better than nothing as a reference), but no sign of lewis drums. I've made a start on this and will add the instruments and compass once some paint is on.

The next logical spot for additional lewis drums is the cockpit floor, so I made a couple of bins in which to place some drums (I figured there wouldn't be too many drums as weight would have been critical this early on).

With the fuselage and spinner cleaned up, it doesn't take much to see what this little airplane is going to look like:

Here's hoping I can get this one done in the next 6-7 weeks before the group build closes... at my galacial pace of building, even something simple will be a challenge to finish!

Cheers,

BC

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:11:43 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline AndrewS

Re: "Il Primo Combattente" (The First Fighter) - 1/48 Caproni Ca.20
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:46:29 PM »
Nice start!

I't a great subject, I'll follow ... and your italian it's perfect! Bravo!  ;D

Andrew

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:32:29 PM »
Hi Brad!
As italian, I'm happy when someone stars to build one of our a/c!
In an old Windsock International there was a piece about it with scale drawings on the subject. I'm not at home now but if you need I can help late with the right infos.
In fact, the Ca.20 was tested more without the Lewis than with it. It was a better version of the Ca.18, more refined.
Cheers,
Roberto
P.S.:...yes, "Il Primo Combattente" is the right translation for "The First Fighter"!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
You're off to a good start, Brad.
I've built a couple of Spin Model kits (sailplanes) and I haven't found them to be quick or easy!

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »
Very interesting subject.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:18:53 PM »
A project like this one of a lesser known aircraft would be right up Des's alley. Great start and I will be following along as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:46:42 PM »
Nice start on an interesting bird!!

Steve

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 02:14:16 AM »
Fine start on a really exotic plane, I'm sure this will become a great model and I'm happy to see an Italian subject. The perfect translation of fighter (planes only) is "caccia" (abbreviation of "cacciatore" - hunter) but it's fine as understandable. Looking forward for your build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 04:20:42 AM »
Hi Brad,
this is a copy of the patented system of firing registered by Gianni Caproni.
Hope useful,
Roberto
P.S.: as my italian colleague right pointed out, in Italy we didn't use "Fighter" (combattente) for our single seater airplane, but "hunt" (caccia) as short form of "hunter" (cacciatore).

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 04:23:00 AM »
...and the right Windsock International is Vol.12 No.2 for the drawings!
Bye,
Roberto

Offline xan

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 07:11:36 AM »
Very interesting built!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
Cool !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 05:27:29 PM »
Thanks everyone! Thanks Roberto and Giuseppe for your help with the translation - perhaps I should call this one "Il Primo Caccia"? 

Thanks Roberto also for the picture of the gun mechanism patent - most interesting! I note the photographs of the Ca.20 don't show the lower most horizontal tube (with the trigger at the back end); the cockpit on the Ca.20 looks to be forward enough for the vertical trigger tube / cable to have extended into the forward part of the cockpit opening (Spin have their gun set up like this, with the trigger in the cockpit from a vertical tube, rather than outside of it on a horizontal tube). I wonder if the drawing shows a later patent by Caproni? 

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of the Windsock International article on the aircraft?

Thanks again!

BC

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 03:43:30 AM »
Oh, a very interesting thread, since I own that kit too.
Brad, I will watch your progress with great interest!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 04:53:24 AM »
Hi Brad!
My opinion about the patented system for firing is that it was an "early" copyright, abandoned in the "practice field" for more practical system.
For the Windsock International, I don't want to break any copyright rule, but if you don't find an original copy, I may scan something for you.
Cheers,
Roberto