Author Topic: "You Win This Time"!  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
"You Win This Time"!
« on: May 26, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
“The sound of bullets tearing through canvas, wood, and metal; the young pilot’s heart thumps in his chest. That last burst missed his goggled helmet by mere inches. He desperately throws the control column left and right, presses the rudder bar with all his waning strength, but his attacker is in a far better machine and is far more experienced. The enemy stays doggedly on his tail, hurling more lead at his machine. As the fight gets lower and lower, he prays that his luck holds out. Tearing canvas, water pouring from the holed radiator, a stuttering engine and the smell of fuel indicate that his trusty steed is mortally wounded. The fight is over. Finding the nearest clearing, the young pilot throws the groaning machine to the earth. It rumbles along the rough ground, now under its own control. Knowing he is now a passenger along for the ride, the young pilot tightens his shoulder harness in preparation for the inevitable sudden stop. His craft lurches of the bank of a small river, it’s shark-like nose ending its days unceremoniously dumped into the muddy water. The young pilot is dazed, but alive. What was terror now turns to anger with the release of the tension. He tears off his goggles, throws his harness off, and climbs onto the spine of his machine to take stock of his luck. As his victor flies low over the scene, waggling his wings, the young pilot hurls his fist at the enemy; “You win this time”, he screams. He may have been vanquished, but he has lived to fight another day”.

Hi all – I hope you don’t mind the melodramatic start to the post! This rough idea is the back story behind my latest completion, a small crash diorama based on the 1/48 scale Eduard Albatros DVa.  This is a project that I’ve had in mind since way back in 2006 when I first saw Stan Stokes’ painting called “Gotcha”:

This was my first time at modelling terrain, and modelling water. I made plenty of mistakes (many of them are obvious) but it was a good learning experience.

The aircraft itself was modified to incorporate battle damage, in order to help tell some of the story.! The aircraft personal and unit markings are fictional, but broadly represent markings of the mid 1918 period. I included a four-leaf clover motif on the fuselage to help with the idea that the pilot’s luck has held out. The pilot is a modified figure using various bits and pieces I had in the spares box. I gave him a set of goggles that he’s holding in his left hand. I am definitely NOT a figure painter, as you can see

Progress pictures of all aspects of the build are in the following threads:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10149.0
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052386-vanquished/
Anyway, here are some more pictures:

I welcome all feedback – as I said, this was my first time tackling terrain and water effects, so I’m sure there are plenty of tips out there that you all can give me.

Cheers!

BC

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:46:00 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Borsos

Re: "You Win This Time"!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »
Wonderful vignette!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
Outstanding vignette. You took the best from Eduard's Albie.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 10:43:23 PM »
Spectacular work Brad! Your damaged wing and tail sections turned out perfectly as did the wood grain on the fuselage. One could never tell this was your first terrain and water as it too looks perfect to My eyes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:24 PM »
Outstanding Brad, loved following along and how the finished vignette looks.

Offline G. Chapuis

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »
Hello
The model is beautiful and the staging is very well done and realisti

Gérard

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 03:11:12 AM »
You've "knocked it out of the park" with this one Brad. Very original, and well executed in all regards. Your photography is superb.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 07:32:07 AM »
Many thanks everyone for the kind words - I am humbled!

Cheers,

BC

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »
Gorgeous vignette with a superbly crafted Albatros as the center piece, Brad!  The battle damage is brilliantly done.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Edo

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 02:59:45 PM »
well Brad, i have already said that this model is super, but the addition of water make it really a stunner!
You obtained a great result indeed with resin: how did you keep the sides so smooth?
ciao
edo

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
Great work, Brad. The scene couldn't be better, the river runs diagonally and brings a lot of movement into the scene. The pilot's pose is made for the scene and the bullet damage is just perfect. You don't have to say much about the paintwork, it's just brilliant.
Hats off,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
Oh my dear! What a lovely piece of modelling, Brad. Most excellent, from the wooden fuselage pierced by bullets to the grass and water. My sincerest "Chapeau bas!"
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 01:38:53 AM »
   Absolutely top drawer work Brad! The ground and water portrayal is impressive and your battle damage to the aircraft is superbly rendered. A very "alive" diorama and unique display, congratulations, you really aced this one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 03:13:31 AM »
All the above and some!
You're a true master of the art, Brad.  ;)

Well done!!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online Gisbod

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 05:38:59 AM »
That’s really amazing Brad!

Absolutely love it...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”