Author Topic: COMPLETED - Mark IV Male Heavy Tank Beute-Panzer  (Read 12936 times)

Offline petero

COMPLETED - Mark IV Male Heavy Tank Beute-Panzer
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:32:24 AM »
Welcome to my contribution to Des' Group Build. The subject is a British Mark IV Male tank, which has been captured and used by the German tank corps. Although this forum is dedicated primarily to aircraft, Des was a supporter of all WW1 modeling, so I don't feel a tank would be out of place here.

I had an enticing package in my mailbox today...

Voila!

Here are the raw materials:

Takom 1/35 Mk. IV Male WWI Heavy Battle Tank
Takom 1/35 Mk.IV Workable Tracks

The kit's track links have 5 pieces each, times 92 links, times 2 tracks. That's a non-starter for me! The workable track links are single pieces that simply clip together - well worth the $15 or so to avoid endless hours of frustration.

For reference:

Haynes Mk.IV Great War Tank
Tankograd Beute-Tanks Vol. 1 & 2

I'm not normally an armor modeler, so this will be a learning experience for me. Since I'm still in the process of moving into my new house, my modeling aerie (it's on the 2nd floor, so it's not a cave) isn't set up yet, so it'll be a few weeks before I can start building.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:20:10 AM by petero »

Offline gbrivio

Re: Mark IV Male Heavy Tank Beute-Panzer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:53:03 AM »
Something attractive from the trenches, looking forward for your build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:42:03 AM »
Happy to see something that does not fly being built for the tribute (don't get me wrong, I love planes, but this is cool).

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »
Really great to see someone tackle a Tank and the MK. IV is my favorite!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 07:58:11 AM »
good choice about those tracks, I did the original version, before the workable version came out. I can tell you they a b**ch to complete... the 5 parts per link are not the problem, lining them up really is and nobody will ever see your hard work again...

apart from that, great kit with amazing details, was a lot of work but a pleasure to build.

good luck!! Hidde from Holland
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:13:35 AM by hiddeous1973 »

Offline petero

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Even though my workshop isn't set up yet, I decided to tackle the tracks. The individual links aren't attached to sprues, so it was a straightforward task to count out 92 links:

There are definitely plenty of extras, since the tracks are made to fit the longer Tadpole tanks too, so I won't have to worry about breaking or losing a few. Then I started clipping them together:

I found it was easier to link them if I held them tread side towards me, at an angle so I could see the pins and holes at the edge. In no time at all, the first track was complete:

Here's my lovely assistant Kioko, making sure the links are properly secured ;D

The total time to assemble one track was less than a half-hour. I shudder to think how much time it would have taken to build the original 5-piece track links! Once I've assembled the other track, I'll have to put the project aside for a few weeks until my workshop is set up. See you then!

Peter

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »
A really quick start and a lovely looking subject! I'm sure Des would love it! Enjoy! Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »
The tracks look great. I can see why you did the substitution!
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 12:12:26 AM »
That's an interesting one. Those tracks look to be a mind saver!!

Steve

Offline petero

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 10:27:12 AM »
Yes, I'm still alive!  ;D. After a year without modeling, I'm finally moved into my new model room, and equally importantly, my wife has her sewing/quilting room set up. We're both happy campers!

I've made a start on the hull of the Mk.IV. My plan is to wait until the tank is complete to start painting it. That goes against my grain as an aircraft modeler - and especially as a WNW builder - but it seems to be a successful method that many armor modelers use.

I've also started on the sponsons and cannons, which are in the background. The captured tanks were re-gunned with Maxim cannons, which had a smaller-diameter gun shield. The drawings in the background are from Tankograd's Beute-Tanks Volume 1, page 62, showing the modifications to the sponsons. That's way down the road though.

Peter

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
Hello, Peter,

Although I've built several aircraft models on the Forum, I'm very interested in your choice of subject. Many years ago I was a member of our Armoured Corps, and trained on vehicles such as the Centurion tank, the Lynx reconnaissance vehicle, the early version American M113 armoured personnel carrier and the Ferret scout car. All of these, by the way, can now only be found in Museums! ;D

Best of luck with this build. I'll be visiting often to see how you get on with it and I'll be very interested in comments on the kit itself. For example, you chose to use aftermarket tracks, a very wise choice given the description I saw of the kit offerings! You've made a very good start to the build, and I hope that this good start carries on throughout your project.  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
Nice start and an interesting change!!

Steve

Offline petero

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 01:59:10 AM »
Thanks for your comments, gents! I hope my build lives up to your expectations  :o

I've now completed the center hull. The exhaust system and shroud will be painted separately and installed afterward, which means the equipment box on the back must be left off too. Fortunately that box will cover the nasty fingerprints I got on the back of the roof plate.

The major hull plates were built up using one side frame as a jig to ensure the angles were correct:

Having each plate separate makes for great detail, but I could've used 5 hands for sure! The nose plates are the most critical, since they have to fit between a raised plate on the side frame, and the raised guide on the inside:

All of the seams between plates are somewhat fiddly, but the only really poorly fitting plate is the front of the driver's cab:

That may be my own fault, but that was the best I could make it fit. The instructions say to build the cab first, then add it to the top plate, but online builds recommended that it be built after the major plates were joined, and that's what I did.

The front Lewis gun was a loose fit into the ball, so I wrapped a bit of Scotch tape around it for a press fit. Gator's Grip acrylic cement was then dabbed around the inside joint to secure the barrel.

I've left extra background area at the bottom of each photo, to hopefully keep the annoying Photobucket watermarks off of the important parts. We'll see!

Peter

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 04:21:40 AM »
Looking great to me. The fit and assembly looks a lot better than the OLD Emhar kit  8)
RAGIII

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 04:54:38 AM »
Nice update, with the hull under development and the gunnery modification. Looking forward for next updates.
Ciao
Giuseppe