Author Topic: COMPLETED - Mark IV Male Heavy Tank Beute-Panzer  (Read 12937 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Mark IV Male Heavy Tank Beute-Panzer
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
Petero, I had the same issue with the separate hull plates....just take your time and dry fit.

The tracks are fantastic and easy to put together.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 06:53:14 AM »
"All of the seams between plates are somewhat fiddly, but the only really poorly fitting plate is the front of the driver's cab:"

Hi, Peter,

As to the plate fitting on the side of the driver's cab, have you tried "Perfect Plastic Putty"? It's a water-based filler that dries quickly, sands easily and can be smoothed into the required final shape with a damp cotton bud/Q-Tip. I've used it on a number of difficult filling/sanding areas and have found it very useful. It's available from www.deluxematerials.com. Hope this helps!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline petero

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »
Gary, I haven't tried Perfect Plastic Putty yet, but I've heard lots of good things about it. My usual filler of choice for large gaps is CA to mostly fill the gap, and Mr. Surfacer to finish filling it. It's easy to work with a Q-Tip or microbrush and Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.

My next step was to mount all the bogies along the bottom edge of the track frame. Each bogie consists of an axle and two rollers, all of which are loose fits, and which fit loosely into the holes in the frame.

At this point, I realized I had several problems to deal with. Firstly, just setting the other side of the frame onto all those loose axles, gears and the idler and drive wheels was extremely difficult. Then, once I'd done that, it was difficult to get all of the framework to line up with the grooves and shoulders they fit around. Finally, I realized that I could not reach most of the seam above the bogies to glue it.

So I took it all back apart, pondered awhile, then got out my edge cutters and a saw, and went to work. Out came the excess, invisible gears, the slanted vertical plates on the edges of the sponson hole and other extraneous bits. Then I removed much of the inboard side of the track frame, in order to give access to glue the bottom seams.

I used the center hull to ensure that I didn't cut away too much.

Finally, I notched the front of the idler wheel adjustment slots, so I could (hopefully) install the idler after assembling the track frame, and be able to adjust the idler so the track fits properly.

I'll let you know how all that worked when I get the frame assembled again!

Peter

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
Ye Gods! Changing a track on a Centurion was challenge enough. What it was like on a Mark IV I can only guess at, seeing the number of "road wheels" involved!  :o

Good work so far, Peter. I'll be interested to see the result of fitting the sides together while at the same time "trapping" the wheels into place. Best wishes for much success with that phase!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline petero

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »
Thanks, Gary! I'll bet the tons of mud all over the running gear didn't make the task any easier either!

I've managed to get the assembly together without too much fuss  ;D. I used Pro-Weld solvent cement, which sets very quickly. I glued it in sections, and held each section for a couple of minutes before moving on. The seams above and below the sponson hole were clamped to make sure they ended up flat, with no bows in the outer surface.

After laying the track around the perimeter, I noticed that the rear slope would not sit properly in one spot.

The supports at that point interfere with the track, so I'll shorten them or pull them off, whichever turns out easier, and I'll omit  them on the other side.

Whew! :o. That side was much more fiddly than I had anticipated. I'm hoping that the other side will be much easier with the benefits of lessons learned! I'm sure my lack of armor modeling skills is to blame for most of the difficulties.

Peter

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 09:45:07 PM »
You are doing an excellent job in overcoming he issues you are encountering. Looking forward to the next step!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 05:37:24 AM »
Only just seen this - very interesting to have an armour subject, about which I know next to nothing! Fitting all of those bogies and then the tracks looks to have been a real challenge/nightmare... Still you managed to do it well so perhaps the other side will be easier. This will make avery intersting alternative subject. Are you going to include a small dio display?

Stephen.

Offline petero

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 06:50:53 AM »
Sorry, Stephen, I'm not into diorama building, so it will be a stand-alone model.

Thankfully, the second side has turned out to be much easier. I left out a lot of invisible details, and the bogie axles fitted much better, which made aligning everything simple. Here is what the side looks like without the bogies. Everything that won't be seen, as well as excess structure, has been omitted.

The bogie axles are a snug press fit into their holes on this side, so I'll describe how they're fitted, since the sequence is important. The instructions call for the bogie sets to be assembled first, then installed in the side frames. That doesn't work well, since the flanged A type bogies interleave with the cylindrical B bogies. Instead, all of the B axles and the first row of B bogies were set up first:

Next, the A axles and first row of A bogies were fitted:

The second row of A bogies was dropped onto the axles next:

Finally, the second row of B bogies was dropped in place. If you have a set of B parts left, you've forgotten the bogie on the top of the track toward the rear.

With the axles staying in place this time, it was easy to lay the other side of the frame on, then glue it in place. The two side frames were then glued to the center hull, and voila! It's a tank!

Well, the beginnings of a tank, anyway. The next step will be to figure out how to modify the cannons and mounts in the sponsons.

Peter

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »
That is a lot of wheels to have to clean up , dame , take me forever . Nice job so far  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »
Excellent progress and really looking good!
RAGIII

Offline petero

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 01:30:20 AM »
Now it's time to start the sponsons. The Germans replaced the British cannons with their own, as described in this page from Tankograd's Beute-Panzers Volume 1. This wonderful drawing by Rainer Stasheim gives all the information a modeler needs.

My goal is to have the guns still be able to translate and elevate as in the original kit, so I'll make new gun shields and mount them on the original kit mounts. The first step is to lay out and cut the new gun shield, per the Tankograd drawing. A section of pool noodle formed a back stop to roll the plastic, using a section of brass tubing to press and roll on the plastic.

Stiffeners were then added, made from 0.060 Evergreen channels. These are particularly important alongside the gun mantle hole, to prevent the edges from bowing outward. The end channels made it easier to control the piece while gluing it.

The inside diameter of the bottom ring was cut to match the diameter of the kit's gun mounting. It was glued on one edge of the shield, and then the shield was wrapped and glued the rest of the way around. Finally the top ring was added.

Here is how the new shields will be set into the sponsons. Some of the build reviews I've read say that the kit's shields need to be shimmed against the roof of the sponson so they don't pull up from the poly caps, so I've made the new shields go all the way to the roof.

The next step will be modifying the kit's gun mount to fit the smaller shield. Hmmm...  ???

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 06:10:52 AM »
Outstanding scratch building on the armor shield! It is really coming together in a superb manner!
RAGIII

Offline Edo

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
yes, indeed !
your gun mount is really super!
can’t wait to see how it will unfold!
ciao
edo

Offline petero

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 10:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys! The best part of all is that I get to do the whole thing again on the other side  :o

Peter

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 03:38:38 AM »
Nice gun shield, interesting modification.
Ciao
Giuseppe