Author Topic: 1/32 WNW AMC DH.9  (Read 19637 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: 1/32 WNW AMC DH.9
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2019, 12:56:23 AM »
I have made quite a mess out of this kit and will be withdrawing.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2019, 02:02:08 AM »
I have made quite a mess out of this kit and will be withdrawing.

Ryan

Really sorry to hear this Ryan. I hope you step away and come back to the kit sometime in the Near future even if not in the GB!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ryan

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2019, 04:52:04 AM »
Thanks it is disappointing.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup

Offline Ryan

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2019, 12:00:25 AM »
All I have asked Dave to withdraw my entry and move to the regular in progress section.

Ryan

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2019, 12:56:55 AM »
What went wrong Ryan?

Looked great!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ryan

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2019, 03:48:15 AM »
I ended up buggering up the wood grain and made a mess of things.

One of those "couldn't leave well enough alone" moments.

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2019, 04:00:29 AM »
Here is the current state of the wood parts...... :'(

DH9 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

After I destroyed the finish I just decided to glue the frame all up and try something different.

Ryan

Offline aliluke

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2019, 08:45:25 PM »
Hi Ryan
Given how extremely good your skills are I am thinking you have crossed a line to where excellent is not enough? Although I haven't got there on WW1 kits I kind of met that line in wood modelling and would pull things apart even if nobody else could see what bugged me. Hope you keep on with the DH - your skills and tips are an inspiration to me. Your willingness to do it again to get it right is also inspirational but maybe your "get it right" is just in your eyes? I like your work just as it is! Keep going mate.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »
Thanks Alistair where do I send my payment for psychological services?! I do indeed need to let some stuff go learn to just press on.
Your words are extremely appreciated.

Back to the build, ok what to do now.

In a fit of adventure I decided to stick the entire internal frame together. Once the parts were stripped once again in a noxious application/ dipping of Easy Off, 91% Isop. Finally the hard stuck paint surrendered in a bath of Simple Green.

Switching things up I purchased the Vallejo Wood set and commenced to spraying, first off with the primer that comes with the set...IDF Sand Grey.

After this application, I shot some linen on the fuel tank area....Tamiya Deck Tan.

Then out came the masking tape to protect this area and then a smooth blast of Vallejo Model Air Golden Brown was selected for my wood color. Masking tape removed, it all looked good.

In case your curious on how I'm going to paint all the internals fittings now that it is glued up, don't worry, I am wondering how myself!  ???

Offline davec

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2019, 11:34:50 PM »
Ryan - really glad to see you back at work on the DH-9- I was really disappointed when you needed to stop.  I've been working on the same kit for about a year.  We moved and I have had a lot of work stuff, so I've only had about an hour a week to work on it with long gaps while the workshop got packed and unpacked.  No build log - if I cut into the hour to post, I wouldn't be making any progress.  Working on the Lobster color scheme- learned how to use a silhouette cutter to make masks for the stripes.  Just finished buttoning up the fuselage.

It has been really helpful watching someone else working on the same kit. I'm glad you have restarted, and am really looking forward to seeing your progress.

Dave

Offline Ryan

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2019, 12:43:54 AM »
Thanks a bunch Dave, I certainly encourage you to post..even if it’s just a series of pics, I do that sometimes when I’m too lazy or don’t have the time.

Ryan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2019, 01:07:21 AM »
Great to see you back on this one and your cockpit is looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2019, 03:56:37 AM »
I am pleased that you have not given up Ryan: please read carefully what others have written and take that on board before you stop again.

I have experienced something similar to you - when I had almost finished two large builds (Dornier and Gunbus) I felt that neither was worth completing and had a desire to just throw them in the bin: the errors kept looking back at me... When I showed the completed models to others they asked where were the errors and said they could not see them even when I pointed them out...! My brother has the same problem (remember HMS Swift?) - we the modellers can see what others do not. Near enough is good enough is what I have had to learn (repeatedly), and I suspect that you have to too.

Do keep going with this - it will be a mini-masterpiece when it is finished - at least in my eyes.

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 04:26:07 AM »
I’m liking that already Ryan,

There are pros for sticking it altogether first.

Keep it up - it’ll look spectacular  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2019, 07:44:28 AM »
Your re-start on the DH9 is an inspiration Ryan, so thanks for showing us that plastic disasters can be remedied.

As someone who has had two Wingnut disasters this year- a Pfalz D XII and a Sopwith Camel, your DH9 recovery has inspired me to drag the Pfalz off its shelf of shame and reassess the status.

Many thanks for showing us how to  recover from these setbacks.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com