Author Topic: LVA Fokker D.III using 3D prints designed by Bo  (Read 8345 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: LVA Fokker D.III using 3D prints designed by Bo
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 04:35:40 AM »
I have only just founrd this!! I have not seen 3d printed models before so I am very interested to see how ti sone proceeds - if what you have done so far is anything to go by, it is going to be a first class model in every way. A lot of scratch building techniques needed here but looking at your locos this will probably be something of a walk in the park for you.

Stephen.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »
Steven, I hope to be able to show that it can be done, but it is all pretty tiny and requires careful handling.

Some additions to the cockpit:

Bo designed some niceties. Here you see the cockpit floor, the rudder pedals, three parts to build the compass and the top of the control column.

The challenges here is the top of the control column. Don't cut anything from it's 3D base, but first drill a small 0,25mm hole in the handles and bend and fit some 0,25mm wire inside. In doing you also glue this wire unto the middle part which is the button for the MG's and underneath connects the handles to the column. Do that all when these three parts are still connected to the base and after the glue has cured carefully cut the parts off.

It all requires a lot of painting still, but here you get the picture how it all fits in the cockpit:

I couldn't resist trying to fit some other parts to get an idea about the finished model.

If I can manage to make control wires running through the fuselage at least the rudder will be controlled from the cockpit. The control stick cannot move the elevator as it doesn't move to the front and back. In theory controlling the ailerons is possible.

regards,
Ivo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
That is really awesome Ivo! Really looking spectacular!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 01:06:19 AM »
This is starting to look seriously impressive.
I know what you mean about the 3D printed layers leaving the surfaces a little rough. Even though 3D printing has come a long way, there are still limitations with the techniques and materials used, but nothing a modeler can't overcome.
There are more 3D printed parts for the D.II than those created for the D.VII, so should create a highly detail model.
It's a shame that you're intending to cover the model, which could lose a lot of the structural detail.
I think if it was me I'd build the structural model with a second modified (where necessary) Fokker D.II from Special Hobby (Kit 32065).
That's essentially what I'm doing with my 'Fokker Pair' build,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 05:19:09 AM »
It's a shame that you're intending to cover the model, which could lose a lot of the structural detail.
I think if it was me I'd build the structural model with a second modified (where necessary) Fokker D.II from Special Hobby (Kit 32065).
Well, Mike, I agree with you that it's a shame to cover the model. However it will not be an LVA Fokker D.III. And I'm kind of a collector. I'm trying to build anything that has flown with an orange ball or the cockarde from the RNLAF (not all in 1:32 though). So I'm afraid I am going to try to cover it. Maybe a second copy will not be covered, although I'm hesitating a bit about the cost involved. The required prints nowadays are produced at a price of about 300 USD. That's a bit expensive. I do have the Special Hobby D.II and the Wingnut Wings E.IV kits available as a reference or to use for additional parts. So far the E.IV gave me a cushion for the pilot's seat and will help me too for some instruments.

It is an idea to look at the differences between the D.II and D.III. I'll take a look at the drawings provided in the Albatros publication. But I'm afraid it's a lot more than the engine and the cowling.

regards,
Ivo

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 06:42:10 AM »
Moving along nicely !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 07:31:27 AM »
Small update in any sense:

Some instruments that will be placed in the cockpit. From left to right: magnetoswitch made from a PE set of HGW Weggarten for the Fokker E.IV, in the middle the throttle lever gear from thesame set and to the right the compass made from three parts of the 3D prints shown earlier and a compass from a PE set from Eduard. The last one was damaged as it didn't fit at first and I use a small file to make it fit. That went ok, but in gluing the instrument into its housing a tiny drop of CA was aparantly left on my finger leaving part of the pre painted surface sticking to my finger instead of staying on the instrument.

Well I have another, so this can be corrected.

All instruments have to be painted before mounting it in the cockpit.

regards,
Ivo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
All three look great! I really like the throttle assembly!
RAGIII

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Fantastic details Ivo.   :D

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »
Sweet details!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »

I have had a closer look at the D.II from Special Hobby to see if what you suggested can be done. And the answer is yes, but there are a number of issues. First of all the surfaces of the wings and fuselage are very dull and do not reach the standard I'm used to from for instance WnW and what I hope to achieve with the Shapeways prints. But the other issue might be more important. It seems that this D.II is not correct in 1:32 scale. I didn't measure it yet, but it is larger than the D.III prints from Bo and it should be the other way around. Also the fuselage apart from the engine cowling for which I can use the surplus D.III print the forward part has some distinctive differences. When looking at your Fokker pair project I know this can all be solved, but due to time constraints I expect to stick with my original plan.

regards,
Ivo

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 03:14:09 PM »
Beautiful updates, tiny details are amazing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »

I have had a closer look at the D.II from Special Hobby to see if what you suggested can be done. And the answer is yes, but there are a number of issues. First of all the surfaces of the wings and fuselage are very dull and do not reach the standard I'm used to from for instance WnW and what I hope to achieve with the Shapeways prints. But the other issue might be more important. It seems that this D.II is not correct in 1:32 scale. I didn't measure it yet, but it is larger than the D.III prints from Bo and it should be the other way around. Also the fuselage apart from the engine cowling for which I can use the surplus D.III print the forward part has some distinctive differences. When looking at your Fokker pair project I know this can all be solved, but due to time constraints I expect to stick with my original plan.

Hi Ivo,
I must admit I've not looked into comparing the two but if what you say is correct, then one or the other is not in scale.
My WNW and Bo's Fokker D.VII's match up pretty well, so I'm guessing, as you said, that the Special Hobby kit is too large.
That said if the two were displayed together but not too close to each other, the viewer probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Unless of course they are a modeler!!!

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 05:47:30 AM »
More details. The cockpit needs seat belts. Webgarten provides those for the Fokker E.IV. They must fit more or less. The question mainly remains where the seat belts are connected to the fuselage frame. The bottom belts will be attached to the girder where the seat itself is attached and the shoulder straps will probably be fitted to the highest cross girder above the seat.

So first I started with this: a PE from Eduard with belts:

The belts are taken from their paper backing and crumbled as instructed. Then they are glued to the PE buckles and straps. In the end you have a set like this:

Now they have to be painted. I attached them to a piece of paper with pins and tape:

First they will get a gloss coat, then a wash with diluted brown oil paint and a finish with matt cote.

In the end they need to be connected here somewhere:

A spare cushion was found in the E.IV kit. It needs some trimming, but in the end it will fit in this seat.

regards,
Ivo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
Looking Fantastic! The belts turned out great. Hard to believe they are PE!
RAGIII