Author Topic: 1/48 Caudron G-4, Paris-Melbourne 1919, conversion kit Meliusmanu  (Read 16687 times)

Offline huberlu

100 years ago, October 14, 1919, Etienne Poulet and his mechanic Jean Benoist left Paris to try to reach Melbourne in Australia.
A raid of more than 20,000 km aboard a modified Caudron G4.

The G4 dubbed "the fly" ready for departure.

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b9032996r.r=Benoist%20et%20Poulet?rk=21459;2

Etienne Poulet (left) and Jean Benoist, "The young Benoist carrying the road maps"

It was Kajetan Schulz  who was interested in this raid and offered me with Xan to join me in this project. I thank them for it.

Kajetan Schulz is a Polish craftsman who designs decal projects for Copper State Models (Ni.17 for example) as well as for the private maquetists. It produces all resin parts for CSM

The resin parts of the conversion kit will have enough space to decorate the interior of the cabin, new propellers, water bottles and decals.

His site:

https://meliusmanu.pl/

There are not so many companies interested in our story, I think Kajetan deserves support in this brave initiative.

Some images of the aircraft are well known but many hours of research were needed to decipher the inscriptions that cover the cockpit, engine nacelles, tanks and drifts. All information comes from the press of the 20s, photos found on the internet and the museum Caudron (City Street).

The plane belonged to Etienne Poulet. It has been refurbished (doc. Air life illustrated p 683) by the company Caudron.
It has been modified to be able to fly for 12 hours without refueling at a maximum speed of 105km / h.
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6553380s/f41.item.r=Poulet.zoom

Two additional tanks were installed between the wings (500 liters of petrol instead of 150 liters of petrol and 35 liters of oil in the standard version).
Both tanks were offered by Caudron (Le Matin 13/12/19).
It is planned to make castor oil in the course of the trip ...

Despite Etienne Poulet's requests, no help has been given by France. The project is therefore carried out at its own expense (60,000 francs at the time) with the support of industrialist Paul Plouvier and journalist Jean Lhermit. The supplies will be supplied in part by Great Britain in its colonies, Mesopotamia, India, Siam (Thailand).
With reluctance Etienne Poulet agrees to cover his plane with advertisements for the engine manufacturer Gnome and Rhone as well as for the brand varnish that covers the canvas of the aircraft.The two tanks also carry inscriptions as well as the upper wing.

Etienne Poulet and Jean Benoist bring in more fuel spare parts, two propellers fixed under the plane, a wheel in the cockpit (photo), a rifle (photo), a pistol, a can of 5 liters of water and food for a week.

The card dispenser (in the hands of the mechanic at the bottom right), the barrel of the rifle protruding from
                         the cockpit and spare wheel. Advertisements on the engine nacelle

Thirty meters of cards in rolls are stored behind the driver.

The station of TSF is abandoned in favor of pigeons travelers much less heavy. Jean Benoist is thus seated between two crates during all the flight (the uncompromising 02/02/20).
They carry in all 750 kg of material.

On engine nacelles advertising for Gnome and Rhône engines as well as the varnish used to coat the canvas

This photo was taken in the Caudron Museum of the city of Rue (very small but very nice and that costs only 2 €).
You can also access the Caudron archives by making an appointment.

https://musee-caudron-test2.jimdo.com/

Happy New Year!!!

Cordially
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:20:29 AM by huberlu »

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/48 Caudron G-4, Paris-Melbourne 1919, conversion kit Meliusmanu
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:16:43 PM »
Sounds and looks to be a great build as always! Looking forward to seeing this one unfold!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »
yeah!, me too!
ciao
edo

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:10:08 PM »
WOW, this sounds spectacular! I think it will be a real gem like all your builds.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
I subscribe to follow this fantastic project

Offline xan

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:33:26 PM »
Gu hubert go!!!
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:18:16 AM »
Very interesting topic! I'll be watching, although I am a 1/32th scale guy..!
Cheers,
Richard

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 03:39:12 AM »
What a cool project!  Looking forward to it!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:53:22 AM »
Pulling up my comfy chair, another beauty in store.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05:57 AM »
This looks to be an interesting build: I will be following with interest.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:21 AM »
A very interesting project, just in time for the anniversary!
I will watch with interest, also because I want to build that kit one day.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline huberlu

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 09:27:30 AM »
Hello,

While waiting for the conversion kit to be delivered by the postman I started the engines.

They are very beautiful and only require a little sanding along the molding joint.

Note the valves springs and tumblers arms.

It will be necessary to add in the back the threads of the candles and in the front the rods of tumblers.
The engine was painted in black, Alclad metal and drybrushed with steel color oil paint. We must still give a patina to the whole

The exhaust pipes are drilled and the edges of the hoods a little refined.

Regards.

Offline huberlu

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
Still no package in the mailbox.

I continue my engines.

They were covered with matte varnish and then patinated with a motor-grease and medium-gray colored juice.
The collectors are painted in Alclad copper, much too pink for my taste.
So I covered them with several layers of brown ink diluted with water until the desired color. In the photo only one has been treated with ink. They are covered with gloss varnish.

A small plate is glued to the top of each cylinder to stick on the rod of the rockers.

It remains to fix the threads of the candles.

I thought for a moment to replace them with these:

https://www.smallstuffmodels.com/p/products.html#!/1-48-Le-Rhone-9C-80-hp-Engine/p/50458532/category=13154092

Has anyone ever used them?
They look "nice".

Regards
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:02:31 AM by huberlu »

Offline huberlu

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
A bit of history while waiting for the resin parts ...

Born in 1890, in Lommes, in the North of France, Etienne Poulet obtains his military certificate (n ° 257) in 1912, at 22 years old. In 1919 Etienne Poulet is already a known pilot who is not his first feat. He is one of the first pilots to fly upside down.
He won the record of nonstop flight time held by German Ingoldi on April 16, 1914 (more than 16h 29min 30s).
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6585086p/f3.image.r=Poulet%20Etienne%20Record%201914?rk=128756;0

He can then participate in major aviation meetings alongside Roland Garros, Himelman and Chanpteloup just before the start of hostilities.

5-12 avril 1914  Planeyse Meeting:

http://www.pionnair-ge.com/spip1/videos/Planeyse-meet-1910-1914-JCC-Diaporama-182.swf

http://www.pionnair-ge.com/spip1/

Instructor at the 1st squadron Caudron de Douai, he amuses himself to scare the swimmers on a beach of Berck. One of them, lying on a handcart, does not react to his dive full throttle. Poulet finally gets tired and returns. Three days later, his heroic intervention is recorded in the press: "The coolness of an aviator who did not hesitate to go down to the sands to warn the inhabitants saved the life of a paralytic who He was bogged down with his car without anyone thinking of helping him. "
He was incorporated at the beginning of the war into a reconnaissance squadron and then became a test pilot at Caudron for whom he tried 5400 aircraft of 12 kinds.

We find again its trace in the local press in 1916.
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6458896/f1.item.r=poulet.zoom
On September 12 he landed on Luc's beach where his family was on vacation. He comes to greet his father, or maybe his wife and his mother-in-law ... He comes back a second time on the 24th.

p. 18 Municipal Bulletin of Luc sur Mer. Supplement Summer 2018
http://www.luc-sur-mer.fr/publication_patrimoines_lutins.html

Regards
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:08:00 AM by huberlu »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 12:56:23 PM »
The engines are looking great as is your work on the Nacelles/pods
AGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler