Author Topic: Nieuport XVII Questions  (Read 6589 times)

Offline rasbury

Re: Nieuport XVII Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 06:34:38 AM »
Thanks Rob and RAGIII!

Rob

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
Update:  Page 26 of Windsock Datafile 20 (Nieuport 17) shows Thaw's N1582 with the same wing center and reinforced cowl as Soubiran's, Vickers armament, PLUS a "cone de penetration" (available in the 32001 kit). Thaw's "T" personal marking is shown in place of the Seminole  unit badge in photos on p 67 of Osprey's Nieuport Aces of WW1.
The same volume shows Lufbery's N1844 with the Seminole and three horizontal red "coup" bars, reinforced cowl, and BOTH Vickers & Lewis guns, but upper wing details aren't evident.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 11:11:01 PM »
Regarding Lufbery's N1844 I feel pretty certain it has the clear center section from some pics found online:

Also as stated above clear section on Soubiran's as well

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
No question about the Thenault/ Lufberry bird having the clear panels. Thanks Patrick for the additional photos. So now perhaps Xan can tell us if it is the "Double" reinforced version? Looks different than the Soubiran center to me, or is that wishful thinking  8)

The photo of N 1844 brings back another question from my original post. Look at the Elevator control exit holes on 1844. They seem to be almost vertically aligned unlike the usual top one forward. As I stated also in the original post, N1950 has the top opening to the rear of the bottom one, totally opposite of the Norm. Any idea as to why?

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline xan

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
Hi Rag,
in the alu painted planes, always double center ribs. Simple one were only in the very first early plane.

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 08:39:50 PM »
I don't no very well N134, and I have no documentaiton.
I found those one without window
but quite simple markings...

Sgt Dudley Hill pose devant le Nieuport 17 n° 1887 sur le terrain de Cachy pendant l'hiver 1916-1917

Adj Willis B. de Haviland pose en compagnie de ses deux mécaniciens sur le terrain de Cachy en fin d'année 1916 - Son avion est le Nieuport 17 n° 1887 - Il porte en outre la tête d'indien, une large bande blanche de fuselage

Xan
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:51:41 PM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 11:41:28 AM »
Xan, Thanks for posting the photos. I have Most in My Nieuport Flyers of the Lafayette Escadrille book from Windsock or other references. Just for the record the first of Courtney Campbell is a 23. Well documented. As for the color profile I like it and if I fail on my center section conversion This one is certainly a good choice for an OOB build! Thanks again and one more time any thoughts on the Elevator control wire exit points on the fuselage of some 17s being different?
RAGIII

Offline Isitwindyyet

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:52 AM »
Anyone have any ideas about which kit to start with for Billy Bishop’s B1556?

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 03:28:22 AM »
32002 (Late), as it has the cowl with the horizontal (3 and 9 o'clock) reinforcing ribs evidenced in photo of B1556 with WAB leaning against the starboard lower wing. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 10:00:15 AM »
32002 (Late), as it has the cowl with the horizontal (3 and 9 o'clock) reinforcing ribs evidenced in photo of B1556 with WAB leaning against the starboard lower wing.

I agree as to the best version to start with. That being said there are Numerous changes to make. No Vickers is Mounted and there is No sign of any of the paraphernalia connected with the Vickers . So a solid upper cowl section and who knows about the boxes for ammo in the interior. An opening in the upper wing center. Aldis Sight mounted under the upper wing center section for the  overwing Lewis probably on a Foster Mount. These are Just the more noticeable differences. I would wait a bit and see if Edgar releases a British variant as he once mentioned that RFC birds would be a lot different. So very doable but would take a some work!

RAGIII

PS: Strut Mounted Pitot

Pulled off of the WEB so as always if Copyright is a problem the photos will Happily be removed.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »

Sorry, should be, of course B1566 . . .

Offline Isitwindyyet

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 08:41:32 AM »
Alright, I’ll wait and see if an RFC boxing appears.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 02:36:57 PM »
Alright, I’ll wait and see if an RFC boxing appears.

I'm with you. The RFC schemes might include B1566 just for historical significance, and the CSM decals are bound to be top shelf.  I bought the CSM early XVII just to do Ball's A.213. Difficult to cobble together markings, but not impossible.