Author Topic: Kitty Hawk F-101 Voodoo 1:48 Scale  (Read 6335 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Kitty Hawk F-101 Voodoo 1:48 Scale
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
   I decided to take a short break from my usual WW.1 Aircraft Modelling and tackle this model of an aircraft I flew during my career in the RCAF. I did two long tours of duty on the Voodoo, the first as a back seat Air Intercept Navigator or "Radar Intercept Officer, RIO" as we were called in the USAF. After completing pilot training I returned to the Voodoo and completed another long tour.
   The Voodoo was a joy to fly, lots of noise and fast and handled well while demanding respect from the pilot in all regimes of flight. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

I'll be finishing the model as a 416 All Weather Fighter Squadron jet as I flew her from 1976 until May of 81. Yes, I am that old damnit, it caught up to me when I wasn't looking! :o

Sadly the Kit isn't a great one, it reminds me of the old Matchbox Kits of years ago where the quality stops at the subject! It'll be a bit of a rough go but I'm enjoying the challenge and the kindling of numerous "memory moments".

I'll provide a few photos when she starts to look like a jet.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

Re: Kitty Hawk F-101 Voodoo 1:48 Scale
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
Looks like a great project Lance. It Must have been an incredible experience to Fly the Voodoo and of Course the CF18!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
Great to see you embarking on such a personal interest project Lance. In this case your memories will be your reference book!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline krow113

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »
Lobster transport?!!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »
Rick, Dave, Thanks for that, and yes, I feel fortunate to have had the experience. Having someone pay you to do what I'd gladly have paid them for was a heck of a deal!
   I figured someone would comment on the "Lobster Transport" logo Steve. Due to the nature of our business there was no time when at least half the Squadron wasn't committed to Alert or Recall status and thus no time when the Unit could all get a break together. It was the same for all the units (4) across the country, 409 in Comox near to you for example. We used to fly to our sister Squadron's Bases and hold Alert and standby duties for them on special occasions when they wanted to shut down ops and in our case we would load up Lobster for their celebration and deliver it before going on Alert. (5 minute armed readiness) no cost to the tax payer and always very much appreciated!) The Lobster logo on the speed brake was also used on one occasion to denote deployment for an Exercise to the US Eastern Seaboard. Those markings were very temporary. As my good Buddy MGuns says, "but I digress"! ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Edo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »
hey, Lance!
thank you for the ‘digression’.... i too was wondering what the story behind the lobster was...
the voodoo is one of my favourite subjects too, i remember building an old monogram kit back in my youth....
i am sorry to hear tha the kitty hawk offering is not up to today’s standards, but i’m sure you’ll get the most out of it!
keep us poste!
ciao
edo

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 06:27:39 PM »
Great digression, Lance.
I'm busy building models of all the cars I've ever owned, but the planes I've flown would be a very small (and boring) collection indeed. Certainly nothing as grand and exciting as this lobster express! Great story.
Sandy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:35 PM »
Wow,

How cool is that Lance! What a beast.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 11:08:49 PM »
Lance what a great story and career, makes my life and career look like pocket lint. :)

Was there a way to cook the lobsters within the 101's innards? (kidding of course)

Ryan

In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »
Awesome project Lance, I am sure you will relive many of your experiences while flying her.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:36:19 AM by Juan »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 12:51:41 AM »
Thanks for the many comments Guys. I'm re-learning the art of filling and sanding on this one, I'm going to need a Wingnut wings project to regain my sanity after this little adventure! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »
Lance, thank you very much to share this journey with us. I'm in!
In 1/48 you will see more details compared to your 1/72 model. And you have a big advantage, you know every switch and button in the cockpit! ;)
I hoped for something like this, once you mentioned a non-WWI project some days ago!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »
RESPECT!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 02:23:48 AM »
The F101 is a very interesting subject, I built a Revell 1/72 canadian Vodoo several years ago (small picture). And building a model of aeroplanes you effectively flew is a great pleasure.
This is a build to follow, thank you for sharing and congratulations on your honourable career.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline krow113

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 05:09:14 AM »
 I saw the voodoo's several times at Abbotsford. The Vulcan too , my Mums fav jets.