Author Topic: Kitty Hawk F-101 Voodoo 1:48 Scale  (Read 6390 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Kitty Hawk F-101 Voodoo 1:48 Scale
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
Thank you for your interest and great comments all. Nice Voodoo Giuseppe, of the four commemorative schemes done I have always liked this one, "Hawk One" the most. Steve, your ears probably took a beating, she was a noisy beast and a real crowd pleaser in an Air Show setting!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
What a wonderful and very personal project, Lance!  So glad you survived the experience.  The Voodoo never seemed very aerodynamic to me. Kinda like the Thud.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
Bud,
     She was a joy, but had all the great flying qualities of an anvil if you let her get ahead of you! Very much like the Thud, "all burner, no rudder" as we used to say!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
This kind of build I like. A real story behind a model. This is one reason why I love this forum, so much diversity, different nations, different ages (when you started your service in the Voodoo I just was born).
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Ryan

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 11:28:12 PM »
Hey Lance any close 101 moments you would like to share, you have our complete attention. :)

Ryan
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:09:37 AM by Ryan »
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 01:07:05 AM »
Lobster transport?!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 04:13:10 AM »
Lobster transport?!
Cheers,
Bud

Bud,
See my post 13 Dec 01:33:35 AM for a "decode".

Ryan,
    Reference your request for "101 moments" there was one that I won't soon forget related to the above topic of lobster movements ....... I once transported 150 pounds of cooked lobster from our base on the Atlantic coast to Bagotville in Quebec and the supplier hadn't done the packing well enough. The boxes all in a luggage carrier on the weapons door leaked and the rotating door had to be taken off the aircraft, dismantled, and completely rewired at considerable expense and maintenance time, our Maintenance Major was furious and believed it was all my fault until I advised him to take his complaints to the CO who had directed the shipment; that ended the issue! These escapades sound a little frivolous I know however such gestures went a long way for morale and promoted a tremendous bond between the units. We worked very hard and played harder! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
Lobster transport?!
Cheers,
Bud

Bud,

Ryan,
    Reference your request for "101 moments" there was one that I won't soon forget related to the above topic of lobster movements ....... I once transported 150 pounds of cooked lobster from our base on the Atlantic coast to Bagotville in Quebec and the supplier hadn't done the packing well enough. The boxes all in a luggage carrier on the weapons door leaked and the rotating door had to be taken off the aircraft, dismantled, and completely rewired at considerable expense and maintenance time, our Maintenance Major was furious and believed it was all my fault until I advised him to take his complaints to the CO who had directed the shipment; that ended the issue! These escapades sound a little frivolous I know however such gestures went a long way for morale and promoted a tremendous bond between the units. We worked very hard and played harder! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Have you ever thought of writing a book about the 101 in the spirit of a very Old Book on the Canadair Sabre by Childerhouse. One of My all time favorites! His Humor was unbeatable.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ryan

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »
Lobster transport?!
Cheers,
Bud

Bud,

Ryan,
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks for the additional story, just great.

Those were the fastest lobsters in the world!

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
Rick,
   I have a vague memory of a book by "Chick" Childerhouse but can't recall the title nor anything about the book. Was it a collection of anecdotes based on his Sabre days?? It's going to bother me now as I know I read it a long time back......... :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Rick,
   I have a vague memory of a book by "Chick" Childerhouse but can't recall the title nor anything about the book. Was it a collection of anecdotes based on his Sabre days?? It's going to bother me now as I know I read it a long time back......... :-\
Cheers,
Lance

It is called The F86 SABRE by RJ Childerhose, I misspelled it out of Faulty Memory! Famous Aircraft series. It had some technical stuff but was Mostly his anecdotes while flying the Canadair Sabre in the RCAF. Second Printing was June of 1966  ;D Before your time. They called Him Chickenhouse. Great book if you can find it. JMHO.
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 02:07:30 PM »
Well, she's finished and in the display case, where she'll stay ....... I regard this one as a "making a sow's ear out of a sow's ear"! Not a great Kit IMHO and not one I'd recommend. Enough said on that theme, I did enjoy the memories and I've got a reasonable replica of one of what was probably my favorite of all I flew. "025" was the airframe I fired a Genie Rocket from (and the drone didn't make it back) in May of 1981 at Tyndall AFB in Florida, a true "memory moment"!

Now I'm really looking forward to some "linen and wire"! Hope you like her.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
She looks very nice, and thank you for sharing the lobster story. Many between my collegues were military pilots before their airline "second life" and as you said these stories alsa speaks about strong bonds between special people.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
That looks really good Lance and a great visual memory for you. Not many here could say they made a model of an aircraft they used to fly. Although the kit fought you at every step you sure won as it looks great!

Great work.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »
What a beauty! Really a "grey eminence" which had a lot of influence on your life.
The should be a "little Lance" in the cockpit ;)

Thanks for showing.

Cheers,
Frank