Author Topic: USMC DH-9a  (Read 11865 times)

mike in calif

USMC DH-9a
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
  OK, here is my progress on a DH-9a operated by the USMC in 1918. All paint is enamels,MM and Humbrol.  I've added rigging with EZ line, and Radus turnbuckles. the wires from the battery were stretched on the sprue, and painted black and red, cut loose, and wrapped around each other, and attatched to the battery, past the switch panel, and behind the dash. This is basically press fit, which is tight with the paint.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: USMC DH-9a
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »
Excellent work. This will be fun to watch!!

Steve

Offline gcn

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
Nice start Mike, it certainly is an impressive cockpit.

I've found this thing need more hours spending on it once its built what with bombs, guns and other bits and pieces falling off, dusting and rigging fixing.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
Excellent start Mike, the interior looks very good so far, looking forward to seeing this one go together.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Dekenba

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
Watch out for the bloody cat!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »
Hi Mike:

One of my favorites.  I built this in Marine markings when it first came out.  I enjoyed the build, it goes together well, some tricky parts with the engine, but other than that, a fun build.

Looking forward t seeing you progress through the build.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

mike in calif

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:21 AM »
Thanks for all of your kind comments guys. There are a lot of little bits to go together!
Dean, I keep the model room door SHUT after Miss Pusscakes got in last time. Still, this is using a different skill set from the WWII stuff I ussually do, and it is fun to figure out.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »
Fantastic start on the innards, Mike.  I'll be watching this one closely since I have this kit in the stash.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
  Mike,
Outstanding first progress my old friend. I'm looking forward to following your future progress. I can appreciate your choice of markings too. Keep up the great works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
Hi Mike

Love the seat mate

All looks good so far, go for it  ;)

Dave
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."

mike in calif

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Dave, your build is helping me along! I'd love to see a resin Humpback coversion for this in 1920s livery.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
Mike,
  Great start and a very real looking cockpit. Looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:01:03 AM »
OK second installment. I sprayed Humbrol "Sand"(63) as my base coat, and let it dry in the breeze thru a window. next day, I laid down a puddle of MM burnt sienna, and then just applied it with a brush and used thinner to control the effect. One thing I've done is lay down a base woodgrain effect, and then stipple the paint; I then brush that out to break up the effect and try to get a grainy look. I used a straightedge to lay on two tones of paint to show where two pieces of ply may have been used and butted up. the series of pics will show where I got. The wood will prolly get a satin top coat, and then CDL as needed. Apologies for the clutter in the back!

Dekenba

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:54 AM »
Coming along nicely Mike.

I assume the ejector pin marks will be hidden behind the bulkhead of the instrument panel?

mike in calif

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »
Dean, yes, Those won't be visible, or most of the interior for that matter. IF I don't add a detail, that will be visible.