Author Topic: Telford 2015  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Re: Telford 2015
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
We just arrived home after quite a tiring journey. Truly great weekend throughout  which we both enjoyed immensely  :)

Congratulations to Gisbod for your win - I heard lots about your Felix from my club colleagues but didn't get too see it unfortunately as we finally got to the comp room late this afternoon after you'd removed it. Of what I did see however I thought the Caproni was a really superb model and and though so much smaller the little Lohner just as impressive in it's build quality and superb finish.

Nigel Jackson finally found me on the club stand after calling a couple of times - it was nice to meet you Nigel and chat and later after some searching finally we found the Lancs stand and I also had a real nice conversation with Nick T. Shame we didn'tanyone else - ah there's always another time.

My initial feeling before getting to the hall on Saturday was that I didn't feel in the right frame of mind for buying anything. Spent some time talking to Ushi first thing, made that first purchase and it was all downhill from the point in time  ;D

All in all a Great time was had by all

Regards - Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
Congratulations Guy, great results and very well deserved. I don't get Scale Aviation modeller however be sure to let us know which issue your "Felix" will be featured in, I'll make a point of getting that issue for sure!
Nice to see one of our Members recognised at such a large and prestigious event, outstanding! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
Congratulations on the wins and the magazine article. I will be sure to buy that issue when it comes out. Lance if you have a tablet or ipad or even the pc look at https://pocketmags.com/ and under hobbies and crafts scale modeling. You can get the issue and read on your device of choice. That's what I do due to the dearth of magazines here.
Those models look fantastic. Would love to see them in real life.
James

mike in calif

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
Good reading. It would sure be fun to go. Congrats Guy on the awards, and magazine feature. The DVII stripdown sure looks good. Lots of good stuff there, and it must be a blast to put names to faces and meet. I'm pretty far away in So. Cal, but appreciate the pics and text.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »
Conrats, Guy!
Well deserved  ;)

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
Congrats Guy, Well deserved award!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 09:50:02 PM »
Thanks chaps!

One cock up tho - I entered 2 models in a standard kit class - got back after the judging to find they'd been disqualified  :P I'd put some photo etch in the cockpits and hadn't given it a thought. To rub salt in the wound the judge came up to me afterwards and said he was sorry as he'd given them Gold & Silver but someone pointed out the error to him afterwards..  ::)

Schoolboy error!

Some final pictures from the show..

Beautiful 1/72 Brisfit won Gold...

Lovely 1/48 Silver...

1/48th Gold...

Good tactical move - Gold in the single prop/ single seat class (ie not specific WW1)...

Can't wait for next year! It really is worth a trip. 3 aircraft hangar sized halls all packed with traders & club stands & a huge competition..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 11:26:57 PM »
Thats a lot of medals and well deserved :) Congratulations!
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 01:12:14 AM »
Hello All

I've just got back from an exhausting weekend in the UK. A wretched rental car breakdown and an important family occasion meant that, after much of Saturday at the exhibition, I was only able to spend a further 45 minutes there on Sunday. Nevertheless I'll post some photos to complement those of Guy as soon as possible.

It was great to meet Guy - and congratulations on those much deserved awards (and to see a WNW Felixstowe in the flesh as it were), and then subsequently to meet Tug and Mick.

Just one thing to tease you with for the moment. I pressed the Eduard team on their much anticipated SE5a.......

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »
Hi Folks!

I've just come back from Telford. Really great show!!

Unfortunately I'm a great loser :/ My engine has lost... Great shame, because in my category there was only few models. It was nice, but rather simply models. I thought, that my Bentley has any chances in competition - I was building it almost two years with research of each detail in the real object. Unfortunately it was not enough for competition. It was my first, and the last competition. What a shame....

Sorry for this grumbling, but I must be honesty - I would surely tell about any success, so I should also tell about fail :/

All the best, Lukasz

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 03:28:02 AM »
Unbelievable, Lukasz!  Your Bentley is magnificent!  I have heard that the judging was very poor this year.  Ron Kootje got screwed by the judges for his scratch built 1/32 scale Caproni bomber.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 03:33:51 AM »
Concerning to Ron - I was so happy, that Ron's Caproni has been submitted to another category :)

I was really angry abut the verdict concerning to Caproni - fortunately Ron won the Taurus Trophy (a set of Br2) - in my opinion it was one of the most time consuming and the greatest kit in the competition.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 03:44:49 AM »
Well, that, at least, is some good new, Lukasz.  Still, your Bently not getting recognized is a travesty.  I've lost interest in modelling contests as a whole lately.  I have boxes full of trophies in the garage and have come to feel that the greatest possible award I can receive is the acceptance and appreciation of my fellow members on this forum.  That said, I haven't been put off to Telford altogether and hope to attend next year, if only to meet the friends I've made over the years on the forums.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:17:04 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 04:04:38 AM »
Well, this makes some fine lunchtime reading.

Congrats to Guy!

As far as you being snubbed, Lukasz, what could they possibly be thinking? Oh, maybe they weren't thinking! I haven't attended a comp here in the states in a while but from what I have heard, the same story exists. There is a strict set of outdated rules and judges with basically no imagination. This is doom for any model builder with the slightest sense of artistry or imagination. The hobby is advancing a light speed but the quality of judging is standing still.

Not to wander too far from the theme but, The World Expo will be held in Chicago in 2017. This is the triennial event held at different venues in the USA and Europe and was, initially, started for the model figures crowd. It's basically The Olympics for anyone involved with figures but the "ordnance" section has grown considerably. The judging is very fair and not at all myopic as the IPMS judging has become.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 04:14:52 AM »
I completely agree re the judging - unfortunately it's a lottery..

The amount of categories I saw where there was a travesty of justice.. Made me feel quite cross. I spoke to the competition secretary at the end and showed him a few examples (nothing to do with me), but he just backed up his judges and said it was subjective. But to me some clearly weren't. You'd think they'd be able to find a judge who knew about the subject he was judging..

One in particular stood out to me - a Beaufighter, that had the nicest finish I'd ever seen on a model - beautifully detailed - I just couldn't stop looking at it - he didn't get a medal - the Gold had glue showing in places and an average paint finish.. It really does spoil the competition...

I feel for Lucasz.. I think you just have to go there expecting that and try not to get wound up! The models do get seen by a huge amount of people so they can make their own minds up...

Guy

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 05:13:08 AM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941