Author Topic: LVA Fokker D.VII from Wingnut Wings  (Read 27534 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: LVA Fokker D.VII from Wingnut Wings
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
Nice work!!

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »
The letters on the tires aren't a success yet. Painting them white and putting a wash on top does help, but it also becomes a bit messy. There are different grades in its finish, from matt to gloss. And I want it to be completely flat. Of course I can spray some matt cote on top, but I will have to mask everything else then.

Now some thoughts about the thickness of the front panels and cowls inspired by Keith "Kornbeef's" D.VII.

First the chin cowl and the connecting bottom panel:

Here you see probably the need for lenghtening the chin cowl. I supposed it wasn't any longer, perhaps even for ventilation purposes. On the left and right you do see very prominent the thickness of the 2 triangular side panels, which were a lot thinner for sure on the real thing. If you make them thinner though, you have to make the bottom panel wider, otherwise it doesn't fit to the fuselage.

I must admit, this one was completely new to me. But you do see ofcourse that the radiator is less wide than the chin cowl. This iwill be corrected when the two top cowls are in place. In my opinion they are thin enough. Thinner can be achieved only if you would make them from metal.

Here the top cowls are in place. Those are actually the only parts that don't fit by themselves. Here again the air pump in front of the cam shaft creates problems that can be solved. I still don't know if it is caused by the Taurus parts camshaft or that those problems would surface anyhow. But with the top cowls in place I think WNW did a good job for fitting the radiator, top cowls and chin cowl, but you should put them all together and not leave the top cowls off (what I am doing).

Here again the thickness of the triangular side panel that will be visible when left open. I will remove this one in order to be able to reach the throttle control etc.

When the side panel is in place everything looks ok to me (ofcourse the top cowl is not yet in its final position)

The other side gives thesame impression. I do need to paint the edge of the chin cowl with LVA Khaki.

My idea is that what you see here is the result of making a product of styrene and not in metal. Its a compromise. We just should stop detailling the Mercedes D.III and want to see the result afterwards  ;D ;D . Just cover her up and everything will be fine. But no, mine will stay open too.

I am preparing a stand with sand and a field. A friend is already producing some heather too  ;)

regards,
Ivo

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
Great update on a solid build!!

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
So, after a large exhibition in our National Railway Museum (see here), back towards finishing the D.VII

Some tiny bits needed to be done. One of them the writing on the tires. I'm still not satisfied. I tried the wash method, but that results in all kinds of different shades of grey with different levels of shinyness. Perhaps in the end I am going to spray it all flat grey again.

I need some 1:32 mechanic for the display and a dutch 1:32 bicycle. For the rest it is nearing the end:

regards,
Ivo

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
A great and very infomative build (I learned a lot from) coming close to completion Ivo.  Love that prop. 
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
I really like the shading on the wings. This adds a lot of realism. Very well done.

Stefan

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
Lovely build Ivo, well done.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline michael

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
Great work Ivo  :)

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2013, 12:48:30 AM »
Ivo,
   Back to your shading/weathering on the wings in particular; I couldn't decide whether to leave my F2b with only the pre-shaded effect or to augment it with some post-shading using Bud's method with chalk pastels. After going back and viewing your work I decided on adding the pastels, as I really am impressed with the results you have here. Beautiful work all round on this one and Thanks for pointing out the way for me!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IvotB

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2013, 05:47:36 AM »
Lance,

Nice that you have found something to use yourself. It was my first serious attempt at weathering. I thought it was necessary because the LVA scheme will be extremely dull otherwise. I still have the impression that the weathering looks much heavier on the pictures then life. I did some pre shading too on the bottom wings, but I find pre shading very difficult as the result depends to a great extent to the evenness of the coat sprayed on top. With the pastels there is more fixing possible.
I still am not completely satisfied with the fuselage though, I did some weathering there, but it is more general than connected to some surface detail.

I need to have some experience in this if I am going to tackle an LVA Sopwith Pup in PC10.

regards,
Ivo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
That is a fine build! Very well done all around. personally, I like your pastel work. Much better than my first effort!
 The prop is outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
Ivo,

Great to see you nearing the end of your superb build of this WNW kit - very much looking forward to seeing the end result.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »
Excellent build. A Tamiya 1/35 bike and Aber p/e spokes might do the trick for you.

Steve

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »
Ivo, that's an impressive build and the markings help it to stand out.  Thanks for the closeups of the nose and future problems I'll face with my build.

I wonder if resin side plates could be made thinner and more in scale?  Perhaps a job for Ron to look at?

Dal.

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »
Just got my "first" "WnW" kit, and decided to start with the "Fokker D. VII" - "Thank You" for an excellent build log, it helped IMMENSELY!!  :) :)

Jim J. -- "olfogey"