Author Topic: COMPLETED - 1/48 Albatros DVa  (Read 16968 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/48 Albatros DVa
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »
Nice additions with those details Brad , this is shaping up wonderful so far  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 06:20:16 PM »
Thanks everyone - i've started to add some basic 'battle damage' - mainly some detail which will sit under shot / torn fabric. In all, I want it to look like just enough damage to necessitate an inexperienced pilot to make a forced landing, so i'm going for some fairly significant damage to the rudder fabric, some damage to the elevator, and a holed radiator (to be done) and torn fabric on the upper wing. A few bullets will also have made their way into the engine compartment, and the wheel has damaged the lower wing on the tumble into the river.

The torn fabric will probably be done with lozenge decal, or painted foil. Still yet to work that one out...

Cheers,

BC

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »
Spectacular, Brad. The additions the cockpit, it all could go for a WNW model.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
Excellent work on the framing and wire Brad!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2019, 11:08:32 PM »
Very nice work!! Would paper for the fabric be a little sturdier without being too thick?

Steve

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 04:22:24 AM »
Great update on interiors and battle damages. Looking forward to the thorn fabric phase.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 05:18:28 PM »
What about this for a paint scheme - I think the horseshoe and clover (good luck symbols) could be appropriate...?

I know at some point this particular aircraft picked up a lozenge covered port tailplane, and had mauve/green/light blue coloured wings. I wonder if it would have been around long enough to pick up some May-1918 markings? Or perhaps I can use some creative licence...?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

BC

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
Good scheme. The upside down horse shoe means all the luck ran out

Steve

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2019, 08:45:09 PM »
Hi Steve - whilst bored I googled the history of the horseshoe as a good luck charm, there's a couple of theories, including the direction (up or down) and which gives better luck... some say one way, others say the other way. I did find out though that the seven holes in the shoe are also for good luck. Combined with the four leaf clover, one could argue that the pilot's luck held as he lived to fight another day! Even though I was really looking to do a wooden fuselage / lozenge wings scheme, the more I think about this particular machine and its markings, the more I think it fits the scene (happy to take more thoughts). I might have to play around with the title of the diorama to tie this all in....

In any case, she now has some crumpled legs... most of this will be under the water line, but there may be enough clarity in the water that something might be seen (or at least hinted at).... worst case, at least i'll know it's there!

Cheers,

BC

Offline xan

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2019, 11:19:14 PM »
Very interestng work

I dp', tknow of ot can help , but to represent broken fabrics, I used cigarette paper glued, varnished, painted and cutted with a X-acto ...

this technic can be interesting in your mount...

Xan

Xan

"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 12:01:42 AM »
Looking great Brad! The bent and broken gear is excellent.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »
Really starting to come together now Brad , bent gear looks super  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 01:54:55 AM »
They're always after me Lucky Charms....

Steve
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:27:01 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
Hi all – it’s been about a month since the last update. The Albie now has some colour.

I stuck with the theme of the aircraft showing some kind of good luck charm, but the original plan for a blue / red Jasta 18 machine went by the wayside, as I really wanted lozenge wings and a wooden fuselage.

I started with replicating the wood fuselage. First was the grain, done with oil paints. I wanted to make sure there was some variation:

Then an overcoat of clear yellow to blend it all together. I’ve started to block in some of the panel colours.

While that was drying, I started ‘skinning’ the rudder and elevator. The rudder I kept lozenge, so I used Eagle Strike 5 colour lozenge to skin this. The elevator was slightly tricker, as I wanted to paint some Jasta colours over the tailplane, and lozenge decal wouldn’t be up to masking. So, I applied the decal onto the inside of a layer of foil, which I then used to skin the elevator. This would mean that I could paint the elevator and still have the lozenge colours showing through when I ‘battle damaged’ the elevator:

Here the elevator is painted, in some very fictitious blue and red Jasta markings (just to add some colour), prior to the application of weathering and battle damage:

Next was the wings, also done using Eagle Strike lozenge. Here the upper wing is before weathering:

And here it is after weathering, with the battle damage done:

Same with the lower wing:

And again, some more of the fictitious Jasta markings on the wheels:

Here is the rest of the fuselage, with the rest of the battle damage done.

As you can see, I stuck with the ‘four leaf clover’ good luck charm (stolen from the Wingnuts 1/32 decal sheet, which worked well for this scale). The last of the fictitious jasta markings was the blue spinner. The serial number was a home made decal – the astute amongst you will note that this serial number is outside of the range of serial numbers for the DV/DVa series – just to blend in with the fictitious nature of the scheme :-)

Lastly, here is another shot of the tail damage. I think I overdid it in the end a little too much… oh well, no going back!

Glad to have made it past this part of the build. Now it’s onto the rest of the major assembly.

Feedback welcomed as always!

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2019, 09:07:17 PM »
Modeling Magic Brad! Brilliant work!
RAGIII