Author Topic: Airfix DH4 with Blue Rider DH9 conversion, and Pegasus DH4 double build  (Read 10793 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Airfix DH4 with Blue Rider DH9 conversion, and Pegasus DH4 double build
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2023, 06:54:06 PM »
Stunning work, the 3d printed front end is incredibly detailed and delicate. I enjoy making things with basic hand tools but this sort of thing would just not be possible. It must be so rewarding to see the parts get printed with such high resolution.

Richie

Offline WD

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2023, 12:26:27 AM »
Wonderful work Ian. You're far more patient and talented than I that's for certain. Really enjoying this as I've loved DH4's since my childhood.

Warren

Offline IanB

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2023, 04:31:20 AM »
Thanks folks, I haven't forgotten these! I moved apartment on the middle of August and I'm now on vacation in France. My last night tonight in Carcassonne, on to Perpignan tomorrow.
Once I get home I still need to sort out my modelling area, then I'll be back on these two.

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2023, 11:19:51 AM »
Thanks folks, I haven't forgotten these! I moved apartment on the middle of August and I'm now on vacation in France. My last night tonight in Carcassonne, on to Perpignan tomorrow.
Once I get home I still need to sort out my modelling area, then I'll be back on these two.
I'm freshly back from my own holiday overseas and excited to see the latest on these fine builds!
Zac in NZ

Offline IanB

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2023, 03:58:15 AM »
Right then, where was I?

The apartment move went well with minimal damage (none to the models!) and I had a great 2 weeks in France visiting Toulouse, Carcassonne, and Perpignan. I always enjoy France, it's so relaxing and laid back - my plan is definitely to retire there!

I've finally got most of my modelling stuff sorted out too, and I also bought an Elegoo Mars 4 Ultra as an upgrade from my Mars, and a spray booth with filter (finally!)

Anyway, I digress. Not too much progress made, but getting back on these was long overdue. I tried out the printer yesterday and reprinted the nose parts for the DH4. A little more of a learning curve but results are ok for a first attempt, and also the first time using the new slicing software that comes with the printer, the Voxeldance Tango. It's a huge improvement over Chitubox!

Instrument panels got painted, and this evening I painted the new DH4 radiator, inside of the front of the radiator housing, and nose panel with the shutters. Here's how they look....

That last shot shows how leaving anti-aliasing at a minimum can actually be a benefit. I like the way that looks as a radiator, and I put no effort into getting it!

Hopefully my nest update will not be as long in coming!

Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2023, 05:35:21 AM »
Lovely work on the radiator Ian, how wonderful!
Zac in NZ

Offline IanB

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2023, 10:49:50 PM »
Thanks Zac!

I've managed to get quite a few sessions in on these two over the last couple of weeks and have finally managed to complete all the jobs I'd been putting off. 

I needed to finish off the interiors, which meant I needed to fit the remaining fuselage structural members, instrument panels, pilots' back rests, observer seats, the DH4 radiator, DH9 engine (plus add some more details to it), seat frames, seat belts, and seats, and flight controls,

Bit by bit these tasks got done.

DH4:

3d printed radiator and engine nose

Which was fitted, and a dry fit done to see how the cowling lip would fit:

I'm happy with that, it's certainly a huge improvement over the basic kit parts.

The rest of the interior was added, which includes Gaspatch seats and Eduard PE belts, plus the home printed instrument panel, rudder pedals, and pilot's back rest.

DH9

Engine test fitted

It took a couple of attempts to get it properly aligned and secured but I'm happy with it now. I then added some pipework to busy it up a little, but I don't appear to have a pic of it for some reason. I'll add one next time. You can see some of it here but it's on the other side of the engine.

I could have added more to the interiors, but it really won't be seen and there's more than enough there to make them look busy.
With the insides done, it was finally time to button up the fuselages!

They will NOT escape!

They'll sit there until at least tomorrow afternoon when I'm finished work!

Thanks for looking in, have a great weekend everyone!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2023, 07:34:33 AM »
Glad to read that your move went well and that no damage was done to models.

The progress on the two current builds has been very dramatic and I think that you have more than enough interior detail because as you write, most of it will sadly be unseen. The new nose parts for the DH 4 are stunning - worthy of 1/32 scale. Such are the marvels of modern technology.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »
I agree on the DH4 bits, it really makes me want a kit!
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2023, 07:07:11 PM »
Lovely work in such a tiny scale!

Offline IanB

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2023, 05:15:00 AM »
Thanks Stephen, the printer is certainly a game changer!

Zac - careful what you wish for!

Thanks Nigel, glad to have you here!

I have had a few sessions on these over the last few days, mostly just regluing the fuselage halves and ensuring all was fitted correctly. The DH9 fuselage took a few days to get glued properly as it was slightly warped and needed to be done in stages, but all eventually sorted out. The DH4 on the other hand needed a little more persuasion to get the nose fitted.

I also added a sheet of .25mm  card to the underside of the 4 to correct the profile - not far off but noticeable to me, and it also helped to hide the join. I'm still not sure that it went together properly as from certain angles it appears that the fuselage is slightly wider than the nose. Hopefully when the upper wing is on it will hide any possible error there!

Filler was required on both of course, and it will take a primer coat later on to show any further work required there.

Here's the nose of the 4 being fitted

As you can see, the fit was not perfect!

I think the fuselage was not quite tight at the bottom and has led to a slight lip, but hopefully the filler will sort it.

Adding the underside sheet definitely helped!

The 9 needed much less effort but still not perfect...

I think I misread the plans and I need to fill most of the large rectangle that I cut out for the bombsight. It should only be a small square!

The nose looks ok, and here is the extra engine detail as promised

It's not much but definitely makes it look a little busier!

Something still looks a little off with the rear cockpit. I think it may be a little warped or the curve is a little different on each side, but there is nothing I can do now. Hopefully I can adjust the rest of the fittings slightly to reduce the effect.

Here're the 2 together

The last job for today was adding the gunners' platforms which I had prepared earlier (shades of Bue Peter!)

I will let those dry properly before even attempting to trim them back.

That's where they sit as of tonight. Next jobs will be trimming the gunners' areas and fitting the 4 nose piece. Then we can get a primer coat on!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »
Love this build so far Ian (although I've been lurking rather than saying how much fun it's been so far)  ;D

Keep it going
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2023, 07:17:01 PM »
More incredible attention to detail. I think both are looking really good so far, especially considering what you started with.

Offline IanB

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2023, 11:03:11 PM »
Thanks Paul, lurk as much as you like, not a problem!
Ditto Nigel. I agree they were a bit lacking to start with, but for me that's half the fun. I'm not a big fan of kits that don't need major work - I guess I need help!

A little more done these last few evenings as it's been a fairly slow week at work and most of my sessions have been early which helps!
The gunners' decking was trimmed down using a sharp blade against a metal rule and then carefully sanded. 

Which left me with these...

That will work! A little dink on one edge of the 9 one but I hope to be able to position the Scarff ring to mostly hide it. You may also be able to see I added some filler to the left side of the divider between the 2 cockpits and it looks much better now. I think it was the different curve that made it look wonky!

Further small improvements/corrections were made to both.

The bomb sight on the 9 was corrected as mentioned in my previous post. One of the cut offs from the gunners' decking, which was conveniently already painted with the wood effect, was cut to size, glued in and then filled to smooth it out. I think I got away with it!

The Vickers mounting on the 9 also needed a little fettling. It should have a small step just up just in front of the breach section, and the top edge should be lower (the top decking is a little too flat) so I scraped the bottom edge of the moulding to give me a flat surface and added a strip of 0.4mm Evergreen and a decent helping of PPP. Once dried it was carefully filed and sanded down. The forward part is now raised up closer to the barrel as it should be. The top edge was simply filled down a little with a jeweller's file. The small protrusion on the rear of the gun, along with the front sight, were clipped off too.

The 4 has also received its nose. I used Gator's Grip to attach it, then when dry, I added resin with a toothpick (I also did that around the 9 Instrument panel) and once cured I had a very secure nose piece! PPP added and sanding carried out as per SOPs. I'm pretty chuffed with it I have to say. Well worth the effort!

I need to do some work on the tail ends next. The curved cutouts need adding/correcting and I also need to add the same for the tail skids.
I think that should be the last of the remedial work and I can then prime to see where (not if!) further work is required.

Thanks for looking in,
Have a great weekend!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2023, 12:27:00 PM »
I always enjoy seeing your progress Ian, that little gun is exquisite!

Zac - careful what you wish for!
;D ;D I'd love to try an Airfix and Pegasus side by side...
Zac in NZ