Author Topic: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale  (Read 48325 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
Lovely stuff!!!!

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
Truly brilliant, Des.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
Simply stunning work again Des, you are a master craftsman.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2012, 12:09:16 AM »
Des,
   Magnificent. A sheer joy to follow along, this one should be the ultimate "show stopper"!
   Keep those progress posts coming.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
Will it fly off the table? It looks that good!
 ;)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
The exhaust pipes are made from 1.5mm brass tube, to get the correct shape they were bent around a piece of 14mm brass rod then cut to size. As there was very little to locate the pipes to the cylinders (there are no stays or cross members) I used 5 minute epoxy resin, once dry I added extra security by running CA around each joint. I will leave them for 24 hours to cure fully before painting.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Vladimir Ziska

• Nordland Models
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
Hi Des,

superb, superb, superb... master of scratch.

Cheers,

Vladimir

Offline miecio52

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
Des,Anyone who builds a model from scratch is a great hobby, congratulations.
Mietek
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
The exhaust pipes look superb Des. Did you insert a piece of brass or copper wire inside the tubes when you made the bends, to prevent them from deforming?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2012, 12:18:39 AM »
As I have mentioned on UT's project, work like this is so good its almost a shame to paint it!!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2012, 07:10:35 AM »
Thanks very much for all the nice comments.

Chris - The radius of the bend was large enough not to cause the brass tube to deform, so they were left hollow. I did experiment first just to make sure, no heat was required either.

Steve - Sometimes I really don't want to add paint, it hides a lot of the really fine details, but it is a necessary evil.

UncleTony - Getting the same shape into each pipe was quite simple, but fixing them in position was a bit of a pain. I used 5 minute epoxy and had to hold each pipe in position for 5 minutes while the glue set, five minutes is a long time when you are hold something very still. Once the glue started to grab it gave me time to reposition the pipes to get them all at the same angle

Des.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
That looks superb Des, did you position them to the correct angle by eye?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »
Amazing. So you wrapped the tube around a rod. It sounds so simple. Being sort of novice here, how were you able to bend the pipe without crushing it? How much force and tool do you use for this result? Your skills leave me awe struck.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »
Hi Andrew - yes, they were positioned by eye, once the 5 minute epoxy had started to set, enough to hold the exhaust pipe in place but still flexible enough to reposition them, that is when I did the final adjustments. Once the first one was in place it was a simple matter to align each one to it just by sighting along the top, the side and from above. After 24 hours the 5 minute epoxy becomes rock hard and hold the pipes extremely well.

Hi Steve - The brass tube is 1.5mm and is reasonably soft, I bent it at 90 degrees around a 14mm brass rod, this was done just with my fingers, very little force was needed and no tools required. Because of the fairly large radius it did not crush or deform the tube.

Des.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:06:15 PM by Des »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
I have managed to shape the nose section, this was done firstly by adding strips of 0.3mm plastic card then getting the final shape by using Humbrol putty and a lot of sanding. I found that the Humbrol Putty, which comes in a tube, dries way too quick, so I dispensed the entire tube contents into a jar and added lacquer thinners, I mixed it well and added more thinners until I had a nice thick creamy mixture, this makes the product very useable and slows the drying time, it still dries within minutes to a very hard easy sandable putty. The first photo shows the nose shaping under way, the other two photos shows a coat of Gunze yellow base coat just to see if there are any irregularities, the prop is there just for show but is the one that will be used. The engine bay opening is large enough to allow me to fit and remove the engine, a little tricky but can be done without breaking anything.

Des.