Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Triplane N533 Naval 10 Sqn. - Raymond Collishaw  (Read 15193 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW Sopwith Triplane N533 Naval 10 Sqn. - Raymond Collishaw
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:56:35 AM »
    I wasn't quite sure what my next Build would be however having recently read Raymond Collishaw's Biography, "The Black Flight", "Collishaw and Company, Canadians in the Royal Naval Air Service", and going back through Mike Westrops' "History of No. 10 Sqn, RNAS" I decided it had to be Collishaw's twin gunned N533, "Black Maria".
   An anecdotal Reference and highly recommended book:

Raymond Collishaw was not only the highest scoring Tripe Ace, he also ranked in the top several aces of WWI surviving the War with a tally of 60 victories of which 34 were acquired on the aircraft. He went on to serve as Commander of the Desert Air Force in 1940-41 retiring from the RAF in 1943 as an Air Vice-Marshal. His 37th and 38th kills in July 1918, both Albatros DV's, were scored in N533, one of the 6 Clayton Shuttleworth built twin gunned Tripes to see service at the Front.
   It is not a well known fact that an inordinate number of the RNAS's aviators were from Canada, some 931 having served in the conflict. In fact the combined Canadian contribution of Pilots to the RNAS, RFC, and finally amalgamated RAF totalled almost 20% of the Flying Personnel, astounding given the tiny population of Canada back then. As a proud Canadian I always lean towards a "Canadian Connection" in my modelling subjects. Enough of my blatant political editorialising!
   Here's the opened Kit along with one of the nicest books I have on my shelf:

...and the excellent Pheon Decals I'll be using. (I can always count on Rowan for Canadian content ;)) The lower left profile illustrates N533.

References for this Build are shown below along with some of the books mentioned. I'll also be referring back to (a lot!) the several excellent Builds published here to hopefully keep ahead of the pitfalls overcome by several of our members. Having compared the various sources I'll be going with my own conclusions on a few specific details and will discuss my logic as they are highlighted later.

Last, from my "Tickle Trunk", some of the basic After Market supplies I'll be using. I had bought the HGW Seat Belt Sets for the Kit some time ago however the laser version tempted me later. The "Three Point" design installed in several replicas is supplied  however the wide Lap Belt parts used in the actual aircraft in service is what I'll install.

I have only two ambitions for this Build; first to improve a little bit on results and second, to complete it in far less time calendar wise then the last! ::)

Cheers all,
Lance
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:11:05 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Gisbod

Re: WNW Sopwith Triplane N533 Naval 10 Sqn. - Raymond Collishaw
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:07:53 AM »

Cor!  :D

Lovely Lance!

Good luck..

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:18:55 AM »
Excellent background Lance, and an outstanding subject!  Thanks for leading the way with a detailed build log; I will be watching closely, as I am planning to do Collishaw's Black Maria also within the next year.  I will be following the trail you blaze. ;D

Regards,

Bob

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 06:36:57 AM »
This one will be a pleasure to watch, no doubt about it. Enjoy the WNW Tripe - it is a fun to build. And especially the twin-Vickers version!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:37:36 AM »
I will be keeping a close eye on you with this one, Lance :o I laid my sweaty hands on  the WNW tripe today and will need all the expert advice I can get.

Cheers,
Bob   :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 07:06:02 AM »
I have pulled up my chair, made myself comfortable, have a cup of coffee on hand all in readiness for your build Lance. I built the Roden Triplane some time ago but have yet to build the Wingnuts kit, so like the others, I will be keeping a very close eye on this one. By the looks of things you are well prepared for the build, good luck Lance and I'm sure that this will be as good or better than your Bristol.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
Really looking forward to watching you work your magic on this lovely kit, Lance.  I foresee another masterpiece in your collection.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:01:39 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
Good luck with this one, Lance. I'm sure that it will be a first rate job! I, on the other hand, will be continuing with my Biff...once I return from Telford, that is!  ;)

"...and the excellent Pheon Decals I'll be using. (I can always count on Rowan for Canadian content ;))" Now, I wonder what Rowan will make of this comment. I can just hear him now: "OmiGod, those d---ned Canucks are after me again!!"  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
Lance,
Like all of the others I am looking forward to you working your usual Magic on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
Good luck with this one, Lance. I'm sure that it will be a first rate job! I, on the other hand, will be continuing with my Biff...once I return from Telford, that is!  ;)

"...and the excellent Pheon Decals I'll be using. (I can always count on Rowan for Canadian content ;))" Now, I wonder what Rowan will make of this comment. I can just hear him now: "OmiGod, those d---ned Canucks are after me again!!"  ;D

Well a Bishop Sheet would be a nice touch in future.....you know Ni 17 1566, his SE5a, etc! Then again we'll be playing catch up for a couple of more years at least with the Tripes, Snipes, and Fokkers and then there's the Captured Birds.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
Thanks to you all for checking in, I'm started on the Clerget and will get some photos out soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
All right, Lance! I'm excited! I feel lucky that I get to watch such a great modeller do subjects that are personally interesting to me. Works for me!

Oh, and I'd never thought about a dedicated Pheon Bishop sheet, but I'm pretty sure now I won't stop. You could even include Bishop and Barker Jenny's when WnW puts those out.

Lindsay

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
I'm happy to see your choice of next project, Lance.  I figure on
building the Black Maria tripe eventually and will be able to lean on
your build for guidance and inspiration.  Your assortment of extra
goodies are impressive as well :). Onward and upward, my friend! :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
Hi Lance,

Good luck with your build of the triplane. I'm sure it will be another beauty! I think you will be rapidly passing me by as I'm going rather slow. So I will be able to learn from your build as I am with Rick, Chris and Przemol. A bit scary to be compared to all these great modellers.

Kind regards
Patrick

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
   Thanks for looking in, Lindsay, Ernie, and Patrick. I'll try to provide a few initial photos as I completed the engine today.
   N533 had the 130 HP Clerget 9b engine which was provided as one of two choices in the Kit. The engine proved to be a model in itself, incredibly crisp molding and details and a very easy assembly. I used Alclad II throughout and was very happy with the results. Colours used were a mix of Dull Aluminum, Gunmetal and Steel in about equal amounts for the cylinder banks, Duraluminum for the casing, and steel for the exhaust ring. I used a very thin pin-wash of Modelmaster Semi Gloss Black on the cylinders to accentuate the fins and diluted Tamiya Smoke for a small amount of oil staining on the front of the case.

The plug wires were done with copper wire, perhaps slightly over scale however anything smaller I tried lost it's shape immediately.

I liked the overall results however the spark plug/ignition wire connections are not the best. I'm hoping to locate some stainless steel wire like the stuff that came in the old Dragon 1:48 Kits, that would go a long way to solving the "blob" problem!  Any leads anyone?
   Here's a few more shots of the finished product.

So there's the first update complete, now it's on to the cockpit which will take a bit more time then this tiny module! So far this is a beautiful Kit, I'm really looking forward to getting further along.
Cheers,
Lance