Author Topic: Airbrush recommendations  (Read 12410 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Airbrush recommendations
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
It looks to me that you have a good set up to get started Lindsay. Definitely add a water trap at the compressor though. I've been using a small 2 gallon compressor for years now; both to run my shop tools, pump up tires, and for the airbrush. Yours will be a good investment. The only downside is that they're noisy so I'm considering moving to this Grex AC1810-A - 1/8 HP Portable Piston Compressor (120V), just for airbrushing.

The attraction for me is:

- it pressurizes the hose to the psi you have set on the regulator (up to 60 psi), then shuts off until you start to expel the air, and then it kicks on and off as needed. This limits the compressor from getting hot, and reduces the chance of water vapor in the air line.
- it also includes a regulator, water trap and hose that is the same thread size (1/8") as the airbrush I use, as well as the Iwata
- it's very quiet at 56 decibels when running.
- 6 year warranty
- and mostly, I'd have a dedicated, compact compressor for modeling

Still just thinking about it though as it's a bit expensive.

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:10 AM »
Lindsay,
    I ran my old Paasche Airbrush off a 75 Gal. Shop Compressor for years; had a very basic in line moisture trap and a Regulator on the compressor that I could set to 20-25 psi. I installed a 1/4" male quick disconnect coupling on the far end of the airbrush hose in place of the hose connector designed to screw onto a propellant can. With that I could plug into the air supply at my workbench where I had several outlets for larger work.  As everyone's stressed, it's all about the correct pressure and dry air. I'd suggest you take your hose with you and ensure the compatibility of the fittings at the store. The female coupling for the compressor end should be a standard 1/4" female/female that connects where your original supply hose is.
    You'll have to experiment with the pressure until you are happy with the performance of your brush and paint. I always spray a good deal on scrap paper etc before touching the model as every combination of paint thickness, type of paint, and pressure gives different results. Have fun!
Cheers, :)
Lance

Offline Jan K

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 01:35:56 AM »
My five cents...
Try airbrushing using CO2 bottle. It is silent. No moisture trap required. C02 is a dry gas, no water splatters in the sprayed paint. Installation occupies no more than 1/2 square foot of floor space, and is completely portable.
No maintenance following the initial investment. The initial investment was about 100 EUR. I spent the 8 litres  bottle in 6-8 months, refill costs 5 EUR.

I have found it to be much more comfortable than using any compressor (I had three different compressors before).

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 04:13:17 AM »
Many, many thanks for the thoughts and recommendations, all. It's very helpful and much appreciated. Once I get set up with a system that seems to work, I think I'll try experimenting on an old Airfix or something. I'll probably post it over in the Off Topic section so that you can watch the ensuing hilarity as I stumble my way around.

Once again, the replies are much appreciated, and hopefully just as useful for others to come later that are thinking the same questions.

Lindsay

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »
Quote from: LindsayT
If you get a chance, do you mind taking a quick picture of how you have your connections and hoses set up? I know I could figure something out that works, but it'll just give me another data point to consider.

I made this a PM because I didn't know if you wanted to post it publicly. Feel free to reply wherever suits you best.

I went home at lunch with the intention of getting pix of my alternate airbrush hose set-up that I use to connect to shop air, but alas, it seems I took apart the quick release in the interim and I couldn't find the adaptor to show you. I'll look harder tonight.

Meanwhile, here are some pix; total overkill but the principles are the same and maybe some of this will give you ideas. Sorry crappy pictures -- taken with my phone.

My compressor is connected by a semi-rigid line to 3" galvanized pipe that routes air to stations around the shop. This is of no matter to you, this just for clarity.

Here's a station -- this is the equivalent of the business end of your compressor. The orange thing is a moisture trap; the black thing is a regulator. note that each station has a drain cock -- (open slowly!!!) -- just pointing this out to emphasize again the fact that compressors create moisture in the air supply, the hotter they get the more so.

The output on this particular regulator points down; a short length of galvanized pipe terminates in a quick release coupler (here with a black air hose attached).

Here are a few air tools and accessories with quick release couplings. You'll see a couple of die grinders, one with a pig-tail hose, the other with the male coupling screwed directly into its handle; an oiler (air tools need oil -- paint tools don't -- keep those hoses separate!) also a 1 into three manifold so you can have 3 tools connected simultaneously...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:02:14 AM by Bo Monroe »

Offline IvotB

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
My compressor is connected by a semi-rigid line to 3" galvanized pipe that routes air to stations around the shop.
Now you are talking business.  :)  That's a serious workshop you have. I just have a portable (movable is a better word) compressor where I connect a flexible hose with the airbrush and that's all.

My compressor:

At the right hand side you see my old compressor as the air tank started to leak at the bottom. It just corroded through the fact that at the bottom of the tank there always remains some condens water. Yes there is a valve at the bottom of the tank to release the water, but it is difficult to access. Luckily I could buy a new tank only and installed all equipment on the new tank. This set up cost me about 350 USD, but it always works and is silent (40dB).

What you see is at the right hand side the automatic pump control which pumps the tank until about 120 psi and stops the pump and then lets the pressure drop until 90psi and starts the compressor again. The pressure gauge below indicates the pressure in the tank. There is a safety valve near the tank opening at 125 psi. The big black block on top can be recognised as a refrigerator pump, which it is. In the front you see the fluid air separator with on top the black knob which regulates the output pressure. The pressure gauge to the left shows the regulated output pressure. For airbrushing I use an output between 8 and 20 psi depending on the type of paint and the item I want to paint. For instance an etching wash primer for the first coat on metal surfaces needs more pressure than enamels or acrylic paint. Sometimes for blasting (?) of metal surfaces prior to painting I use a higher pressure.

Just to give an idea at several set ups.

Ivo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
If anyone is interested I just saw this on ebay, it appears to be a neat little spray booth, and cheap. (Australian ebay)

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
Wow, guys! Above and beyond! I really appreciate you taking the time to take pictures; that helps me visualize what I want to do much better.

Ivo, where did you get that fridge compressor?

Oh, and Bo - I think I have some grinding / drilling / riveting / sanding / painting / fighter jet manufacturing to do. Mind if I come use your shop?  ;)

LT

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 12:13:36 AM »
Great stuff guys. Bo, I see in pic one you have those pipe wrenches for holding  detail parts together. That is some serious hardware you use!!

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 01:14:19 AM »
Ivo, where did you get that fridge compressor?
I got that one here at Harolds. Harolds is a local art supply store near the Art Academy of Rotterdam. Their website is online in dutch so it won't be of much use. But they have an excellent airbrush department. Now I tried to find a more internationally oriented dealer of these type of compressor, but I couldn't find one. I do see a lot of modellers building their own compressor using parts of an old fridge, some steel tank and parts that can be found in online stores on the Internet as an oil water separator, pump automat, reduction valve, pressure indicators and safety valve.

Perhaps I using incorrect english keywords for a succesful search on the Internet.

regards,
Ivo

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:21:06 AM by IvotB »

Offline Jan K

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
If anyone is interested I just saw this on ebay, it appears to be a neat little spray booth, and cheap. (Australian ebay)

Des.

Hallo,
the spray booth looks quite nice, but I do not beileve it is gonna work as expected.
I did quite a lot of experiments to get my stuff working - now I know I need air flow at least 300m3/hr ~ 10 000 cubic feet/hr,
but my solution is surprisingly simple, please see the attached image, I have just an extractor with flexiple pipe on my table. The pipe diameter is about 5 inch ~125mm, a box around inlet is not mandatory.
Important note: even with a good spray booth you'll need a spraying face mask.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:46:22 AM by Jan K »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:10 AM »
Jan,
      Im guessing the white unit is the extractor. Where did you get that?

Steve

Offline Jan K

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
Jan,
      Im guessing the white unit is the extractor. Where did you get that?

Steve

Hallo, I bought it in a local store here in Czech Republic.
My extractor is similar to this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grow-Tent-extractor-fan-TT125-/250644881934?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3a5b99620e

Using pipe smaller than 125 mm would cause insuficient air flow.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:57:34 PM by Jan K »

Offline Jan K

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »
...and this is my CO2 spraying bottle. IT IS SILENT, since the first try I do not want any compressor in my shop anymore.
The regulator is Micromatic for draft beer, it costed me about 40 Euros.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/pressure-set-beer-regulator-aid-60.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:48:33 AM by Jan K »

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
Going back to the Princess airbrush, I've been in contact with Des and it seems that this a/b has tripled in price in the last month, it has jumped from 14.90 AUD to 49.90 AUD seems quite an increase to me.

Cheers

Pete.