Author Topic: Dual Build: Roden 1/32nd Albatros DIII (OAW): Jasta 10, WNW ALbatrosDV: Jasta11  (Read 91696 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Slick, Rick...I too like the tapes.  They'll give just the right impression, me thinks...

Great job on the fuselage etc. too.  Looks absolutely real from my standpoint!

Dan

Online RAGIII

Slick, Rick...I too like the tapes.  They'll give just the right impression, me thinks...

Great job on the fuselage etc. too.  Looks absolutely real from my standpoint!

Dan

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the comments.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Softscience

Hi Rick.

Pretend I don't know that much about WW I aviation; which I don't, so you're not really pretending, but anyway. The rib tapes .... Do they go under lozenge fabric or over? Or are your albatri not going to have lozenge. Sorry, I didn't leaf through all the pages of this thread.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Hi Rick.

Pretend I don't know that much about WW I aviation; which I don't, so you're not really pretending, but anyway. The rib tapes .... Do they go under lozenge fabric or over? Or are your albatri not going to have lozenge. Sorry, I didn't leaf through all the pages of this thread.

They go on top. Fabric is stretched onto the wing frame, then stitched onto the ribs (I'd have to look up exactly how). This stiching is covered over with the rib tapes

Richard

MORE: here's something

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qml0X_xMkKQ[/media]
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

Hi Rick.

They go on top. Fabric is stretched onto the wing frame, then stitched onto the ribs (I'd have to look up exactly how). This stiching is covered over with the rib tapes

Richard

MORE: here's something

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qml0X_xMkKQ[/media]

Richard is correct reference the tapes. WNW molds the indication of the ribs and tapes on their Albatros DV. I will be using Aviattic Lozenge cookie cutter decals for the wings on the DV. So the ribs and tape indication will show blue rib tapes. On the Roden DIII their is no indication of tapes in the molding. I have applied the tapes to indicate their presence. The Jasta 10 OAW DIII I am doing has Lilak/Mauve and green camo so I am hoping for just a slight tape indication and just a tad darker appearance after painting. I hope your question is answered. If not let me know and I will try harder  8)
RAGIII

Offline Softscience

Gotcha! And thanks. To both of you. I Learned something new today.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Apologies for temporarily hijacking

I found this:

It is from Aeronautical Engineering published by Odhams, probably before WW2. Odhams produced lots of technical books similar to this, usually containing just enough information to not be helpful

Richard

Online RAGIII

Gotcha! And thanks. To both of you. I Learned something new today.

I am glad my explanation of the schemes helped with the rib tape thing. Also thanks to Richard for his efforts!
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

Apologies for temporarily hijacking

I found this:

It is from Aeronautical Engineering published by Odhams, probably before WW2. Odhams produced lots of technical books similar to this, usually containing just enough information to not be helpful

Richard

No problem at all with anyone helping answer questions on my threads! Thanks Richard.
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
That diagram really belongs somewhere else on this forum, not in your thread. Where should it go?

Richard

Online RAGIII

That diagram really belongs somewhere else on this forum, not in your thread. Where should it go?

Richard

Perhaps in the Aircraft "Information and Questions" section ? I don't know for sure but again I do not mind your posting it here at all!!
RAGIII

Offline Gisbod

Great idea on the tapes Rick.

Looking forward to seeing how they pan out.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.

Guy
Have to agree, and a great way to use up some of the additional tape in the stash to add subtle detail.

Offline lone modeller

As usual Rick you have come up with an original idea to solve a problem. Will be following with interest to see how this works out.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

Guy

Thanks Guy. I have just returned from a painting session. My first impression is the tapes worked perfectly  8)
RAGIII

Guy
Have to agree, and a great way to use up some of the additional tape in the stash to add subtle detail.

Thanks and yes no reason nnot to use stuff at your disposal  ;D
RAGIII

As usual Rick you have come up with an original idea to solve a problem. Will be following with interest to see how this works out.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I used this method on my ill fated Roden See5a but with much thicker decals. These seem to have just the effect I was looking for. I will take photos soon.
RAGIII