Author Topic: 1/72 Albatros D.III (OEF)  (Read 22323 times)

Offline IanB

Re: 1/72 Albatros D.III (OEF)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
Absolutely outstanding!

Ian

Offline boggie

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Very well done Steve. Micro modelling at its finest.  :)

Offline steveb

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »
Phew, it's been a while! Thanks to you all for the encouraging words!! I haven't stopped working, things just seem to take so long. :-\ But, I guess that small steps are better than no steps at all.

From the top, the seat & cushion which have been seen here before, but now mounted to the horizontal pipe supports.

Schwarzlose guns painted & treated with a bit of graphite (which barely shows up in this photo)

Compass made from a few PE pieces in the Part set, but modified a bit by adding a styrene body & wire mounting stem to fit on the floor. I also redrew the compass face & printed it on clear acetate.

On the middle left is a square with the moiré dots, which is the port side control panel. I drew that up in CAD & printed it on clear acetate. I added a piece of Bare Metal Foil on the backside & added valve handles made from wire.

In the middle is the starboard throttle control (I think). Made from various pieces of wire, styrene & though it's hard to see, there is a wooden knob there, too.

For the control stick assembly, I used the Part PE control handle, & scratch built the rest from styrene, brass & wire.

The seatbelts are a combination of foil, paper, wire & paint.

I edited the Part artwork for the gauges in Photoshop a bit to make it look like those gauges on Kolman's plane. Those were printed on clear acetate & sandwiched between the PE pieces.

I used the usually unwanted side effect of too much Tamiya flat base to create part of the splotchy look of the material on the intake manifold. Magnetos from another Roden kit were added. Although practically invisible in this photo, I added the "T" shaped levers to the valve spring tops.

That's all for now, thanks for looking!
Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
That's looking good Steve!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
Don't know how I missed this one...Fantastic!

Even if it is 1/16th scale.... ;)

Dan

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
Great detail, especially in this scale.  Glad to see your update and looking forward to your progress.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:44 AM »
    This just keeps getting better Steve. The cockpit components, especially the compass and throttle assembly are incredible, you must have a cage full of tiny trained spiders that construct these remarkably small components with such detail! The framed cockpit module with the instruments installed simply blows my mind! :o
    Really great work, this is going to be an outstanding model.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »
Woooah! Fantastic model-art-brainsurgeon.
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
So far one of the best models in 1/72 scale I've ever seen, absolutely excellent!!

Jörg

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »
I second this. Absolut marvelous.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
This just gets better and better.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Borsos

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2017, 11:02:46 PM »
Wow, what a great little piece of art and a very clever way to paint the intake manifold using too much Tamiya flat base!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline steveb

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
As always, thanks so much! Still lots to learn but making some progress.
I was able to get quite a bit of the interior pieces mounted to the frame this weekend. The guns are temporarily glued in place with Testor's clear parts cement, & once I figure out how to attach the blast tubes to the engine, will be permanently attached. Not much, if any of this will even be seen once everything it closed up. The engine is not yet glued in place.

How could these planes even fly with such crooked frame work?  :P Oh well, at least those bent PE pieces will not be visible for long.

I still need to figure out how to make the empty casing chutes for the guns. In a data file photo, I can see one of them on a plane equipped with only one gun. I guess that I may have to make up what it looked like with both guns.

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
awesome! Love the seat!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2017, 10:02:06 AM »
Stunning work (even with bent framing,  ;D), looks like it is bigger than 1/72 with your detail.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:53:09 AM by Juan »