Author Topic: You too can build a Fokker EV  (Read 5883 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: You too can build a Fokker EV
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »
Looking very good at this point! I am envious of your ability to just paint on those petals on the cowling. It is one of the things I am dreading when I reach that point!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
Looking really good, thanks for priming the E.V/D.VIII pump.  Two D.VIIIs currently being worked on (yours and Rick's), life is good.

Offline jagdbaron

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »
Looking very good at this point! I am envious of your ability to just paint on those petals on the cowling. It is one of the things I am dreading when I reach that point!
RAGIII
Hi RAGIII

I laid a length of Tamiya tape, 18mm-ish wide,  down on the cutting board and (carefully) marked out the triangles with a fine lining pen, then, with a new blade, I (even more carefully) cut it out. Having the extra width of tape prevents too much distortion as you wrap it around the cowl. Surprisingly for me, it worked first time.

So, brace yourself and press on. I'm watching your impressive build; unfortunately I didn't think to take any photos of the inside of mine before I sealed it up.

My original intention was to make the yellow-nosed EV/DVIII with the snake but I eventually went for the lightning flash because I found one that was near enough on the Pheon Dr1 decal sheet. If there is to be another 1/32 EV kit released, perhaps someone will produce a snake decal - that will be most impressive.

Re the pilot seat, some time ago I bought a set of fake red 'leather' coasters in a supermarket, very cheap. On several models, I've used the red leather to cover the seat. The surface has a small grain to it just like the real thing. I'm not sure how authentic this is but it looks good.

Les
Les

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 05:17:34 AM »
I have read the comments made elsewhere about ‘cupping’ of the plywood between the ribs. This, indeed, will occur over time, especially if the wing is subject to wetting and drying – it happens to most timbers. However, I would suggest that, in the case of the EV which only appeared a few weeks before the armistice, it is unlikely that the aircraft would have suffered that degree of wear and tear in service. Maybe eighteen months later, after having been abandoned in the open air, it would be a real possibility.
Not as critics on your model, just for info: Do you know that picture? The wing looks really rippled.

Source: wikimedia.org

The 1/48 Eduard kit has two wings, one shows that effect but only a little. It is not mentioned in the manual, which one 8)

Cheers,
Frank